Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,126      

JJB

Chicago, IL
What about the kid from NC? who's parents are UI grads and his mom is an agent? He was here on an unofficial recently.

Michael Zanoni - he's a 2022 recruit.

#1,128      
Re: Miller, I'd rather be wringing my hands than icing my n*tz.

My guess is Ayo takes off and is firmly on people's draft radar once the conference games get going and this is all much ado about n*ttin'.

#1,129      
giphy.gif
Funny thing is.... I noticed the typo after I posted but decided not to change it. I figured I would get a reaction. You did not disappoint!😂

#1,130      
Sorry if this has already been stated but with Adam Miller committed we're technically over signed by 1 right? Okay yes he hasn't signed yet, but assuming he will then we will be over the limit, correct? Now obviously this probably won't be a problem if a certain someone or couple of guys have a very good chance of going pro after this year. Just want to make sure that I got that correct. I've been trying to follow what's going on LOL.

#1,132      
Sorry if this has already been stated but with Adam Miller committed we're technically over signed by 1 right? Okay yes he hasn't signed yet, but assuming he will then we will be over the limit, correct? Now obviously this probably won't be a problem if a certain someone or couple of guys have a very good chance of going pro after this year. Just want to make sure that I got that correct. I've been trying to follow what's going on LOL.
When Ayo goes pro we will be in balance.

#1,134      
Can someone explain why Kentucky is allowed to sign 6 commits for 2020 (per 247 all have signed LOIs) and yet they only have 1 senior on the roster? As far as I can tell they have 13 scholarship players this year.
Attrition. The maxey kid is probably going to leave for the draft, whitney might leave, they will have some transfer out, they have a senior, I think they have a grad transfer as well

#1,135      

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
Attrition. The maxey kid is probably going to leave for the draft, whitney might leave, they will have some transfer out, they have a senior, I think they have a grad transfer as well
No doubt they’ll have some attrition, but wouldn’t their future pros need to declare for the draft or future transfers enter the portal before they can over sign by so many? If they have one senior that ought to mean they can sign 2 for next year, not 6.

#1,136      
Doesn't really have anything to do with Illini recruiting but just posting some footage of the young man considered the #1 sophomore in the country.

#1,137      
I just read this new guy is the highest rated recruit since jerome in 2010. WHO is JEROME? I sure don't remember watching him play............................................................... I don't really care about recruits. I care about watching guys play. For two years in a row now, I've enjoyed watching the energy and attitude of our record breaking Freshman.

#1,138      
I just read this new guy is the highest rated recruit since jerome in 2010. WHO is JEROME? I sure don't remember watching him play............................................................... I don't really care about recruits. I care about watching guys play. For two years in a row now, I've enjoyed watching the energy and attitude of our record breaking Freshman.

I know, it sucks to have to wear reading glasses, I struggle with it also.... Jereme, good ol' JR! What could have been.....

#1,139      
Doesn't really have anything to do with Illini recruiting but just posting some footage of the young man considered the #1 sophomore in the country.

Wut? He's ain't nuthin with any cones.......

#1,140      

He is widely considered the # 1 player regardless of class.

#1,141      
Name 1 shooting guard

A 2021 re-class would make the most sense to "chase" if going this route, otherwise a juco/grad transfer and either of them we would not chase or jeopardize the relationship for.

#1,142      
One last question about Miller. Illini fail to make tourney AND Ayo does indeed leave and go pro. What percentage chance do you feel that Miller still comes?

#1,143      

you’re right. That little dude in the black shirt is saucy!

#1,145      
In regards to not signing: Had Adam signed, Ayo for whatever reason didn't feel he was going to get drafted high enough and returned, and Adam asked out of his letter, do you honestly think we would have said no? While a letter does "lock" you in, IMO, there's no way we wouldn't release Mac Irvin's top player in a heart beat if they felt the situation here wasn't right. I just don't think signing in this case was really a big deal either way.

Beat Iowa. Beat Hampton.

#1,146      

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
In regards to not signing: Had Adam signed, Ayo for whatever reason didn't feel he was going to get drafted high enough and returned, and Adam asked out of his letter, do you honestly think we would have said no? While a letter does "lock" you in, IMO, there's no way we wouldn't release Mac Irvin's top player in a heart beat if they felt the situation here wasn't right. I just don't think signing in this case was really a big deal either way.

Beat Iowa. Beat Hampton.
If Adam signs the letter, other teams are supposed to back off. I don't care if he says he's "100% committed," he's intentionally leaving the door open for others to keep recruiting him. That's okay. He gets to make that decision. But this is not your run-of-the-mill verbal. I think it's natural to feel a little uneasy about all of this.

#1,147      
If Adam signs the letter, other teams are supposed to back off. I don't care if he says he's "100% committed," he's intentionally leaving the door open for others to keep recruiting him. That's okay. He gets to make that decision. But this is not your run-of-the-mill verbal. I think it's natural to feel a little uneasy about all of this.

The old unwritten rule in the BIG was once a player committed, the other B1G schools backed off. Sort of a "gentleman's agreement". Except in the case of IDKWTI, and in that case Sampscum did not back off. 3 of Weber's staunch allies, Izzo, Painter and Carmody all raised a stink and got the NCAA to force an investigation and thus the start of the death penalty of IU. The death penalty was not a direct result of IDKWTI but served as the kick starter.

#1,148      
No doubt they’ll have some attrition, but wouldn’t their future pros need to declare for the draft or future transfers enter the portal before they can over sign by so many? If they have one senior that ought to mean they can sign 2 for next year, not 6.
I honestly dont know the answer to that question. I'm sure one of the other posters does have the answer. I do know that it happens at KU, UK, & Duke every year. They bring in 5 & they lose 5.

#1,149      
Not sure where the best place to post this is but it has to do with recruiting so I chose this thread.

https://siff.shinyapps.io/siffrecruitingratings/

Jordan Siff created a webapp that tracks recruiting for P5 programs since 2014. A description of his ranking system was published on Kenpom's site yesterday.

Regardless of if you buy into his ranking system or not, there's a pretty cool feature on the web app that allows you to compare 2 schools and see how many recruiting wins Illinois had over various schools.

#1,150      
I am sure no one cares....but I can't imagine any Illini fan who would not want Ayo for a third year as opposed to a frosh in Miller. But in that regard, it is a win/win situation unless, of course, Miller ends up at Michigan. Miller is a welcome addition in C-U and I hope he has an unforgetable contribution to the program, but a third year Ayo would also be welcome without him. My only regret is that Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would make his collegiate experience exceptional. Speaking from experience, I would rather have played on a team where I was a dependable part with 3 other All-State caliber players rather than an elite scorer with only a couple of other guys who could score. The NBA will find him if they want him...even if he plays for Millikin.

Status
Not open for further replies.