Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,151      
I am sure no one cares....but I can't imagine any Illini fan who would not want Ayo for a third year as opposed to a frosh in Miller. But in that regard, it is a win/win situation unless, of course, Miller ends up at Michigan. Miller is a welcome addition in C-U and I hope he has an unforgetable contribution to the program, but a third year Ayo would also be welcome without him. My only regret is that Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would make his collegiate experience exceptional. Speaking from experience, I would rather have played on a team where I was a dependable part with 3 other All-State caliber players rather than an elite scorer with only a couple of other guys who could score. The NBA will find him if they want him...even if he plays for Millikin.

If Ayo is still here next year, it means he has not had a great year - in which case a freshman Miller might indeed be the better player. In any event, much much better for Ayo to have a good year and get in the pros, and then get Miller.

#1,152      
I am sure no one cares....but I can't imagine any Illini fan who would not want Ayo for a third year as opposed to a frosh in Miller. But in that regard, it is a win/win situation unless, of course, Miller ends up at Michigan. Miller is a welcome addition in C-U and I hope he has an unforgetable contribution to the program, but a third year Ayo would also be welcome without him. My only regret is that Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would make his collegiate experience exceptional. Speaking from experience, I would rather have played on a team where I was a dependable part with 3 other All-State caliber players rather than an elite scorer with only a couple of other guys who could score. The NBA will find him if they want him...even if he plays for Millikin.
Hey stay off the big blues back ha ha

#1,153      
Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would

make a better player out of him as well. Do you think the Blue Bloods don't sell this, of course they do. So regardless of Ayo staying or going, the end sales pitch should be come and play with better players, even if 1 year it is Ayo? I know each 17/18 yr old baller thinks they are King $*it, however in most cases it is just not the reality.

#1,154      
I honestly dont know the answer to that question. I'm sure one of the other posters does have the answer. I do know that it happens at KU, UK, & Duke every year. They bring in 5 & they lose 5.

I do not believe there is an actual ruling as to how many, as it has been and will continue to factor in transfers (moreso now), early grad, Pro defections either NBA of EBL. As far as I can tell from NCAA rules commitee page and others, it has not been a past concern, thus no ruling as there is in football say. That said the L-Ville of the world, the Crean's will take care of the rosters if you can call it that year in and year out.

#1,156      

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
I do not believe there is an actual ruling as to how many, as it has been and will continue to factor in transfers (moreso now), early grad, Pro defections either NBA of EBL. As far as I can tell from NCAA rules commitee page and others, it has not been a past concern, thus no ruling as there is in football say. That said the L-Ville of the world, the Crean's will take care of the rosters if you can call it that year in and year out.
Thanks to the both of you. It seems like folks talk about the over sign by 1 rule as a hard and fast rule on Loyalty, so I was curious. I guess if you over sign by 4 you’re sending a message to your players that some of you better declare for the draft or transfer after the year.

#1,160      
I guess I'm a bit confused by why Miller and Ayo are somehow competition. Isn't Miller a 2G shooter while Ayo is a PG? seems having him there to dish off to him would be an advantage in first year. It would be more of an issue for Curbello (sp?). I could easily see a three guard lineup with Trent, Ayo and Adam with Kofi and Georgi in a double post.

Could be interesting...

#1,161      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I just read this new guy is the highest rated recruit since jerome in 2010. WHO is JEROME? I sure don't remember watching him play............................................................... I don't really care about recruits. I care about watching guys play. For two years in a row now, I've enjoyed watching the energy and attitude of our record breaking Freshman.
Send it in Jerome?

#1,166      
I guess I'm a bit confused by why Miller and Ayo are somehow competition. Isn't Miller a 2G shooter while Ayo is a PG? seems having him there to dish off to him would be an advantage in first year. It would be more of an issue for Curbello (sp?). I could easily see a three guard lineup with Trent, Ayo and Adam with Kofi and Georgi in a double post.

Could be interesting...
Ayo being back could mean the difference in needing Miller to play 20 mins be 30-35 mins.

It could be that he is being sold on being a part-time point, and he sees Ayo and Trent being ahead of him in the pecking order.

From a fans perspective, obviously we’d be a better tram next year with a jr Ayo over a frosh Miller. But it’s also mean that Ayo didn’t have a great year, which likely leads to the Illini not having a great year.

Then there is the perception out there that Illinois doesn’t put players in the pros that it should.

Then we deal with public rejection from highly rated recruits in the form of a Adam Miller de-commitment.

#1,167      

Bailey

Los Angeles
Miller is projected or will need to play PG in pro due to size I believe.
Nah. Plenty of guys in the league at his size playing off the ball. I remember the same narrative existing for Kendrick Nunn - how he needed to morph into a PG to have a shot. There's a lot of teams playing positionless on the perimeter.

#1,169      

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL

Could be interesting...
Miller does not want to be labeled as a SG. He is listed as a combo guard and wants to spend time at the PG. Ayo would take away those minutes.

It has been said on here, ad nauseam, Ayo not getting to the league after his sophomore year is not a good look for Illinois. BU needs to show that he can put players in the NBA, especially players that come out of high school widely thought to be headed to the NBA in a year or two.

#1,170      
Question for those who know more about 24/7 rankings than I do. Currently, the Illini have 3 recruits listed with an average ranking of 95.16 and a 58.86 points -- good for the #12 class. Xavier has 3 recruits also but with a slightly higher average ranking of 95.78, but that is only good for 58.49 points and #14 class. Not that it matters, but curious how Xavier can have be ranked below Illini. Anyone know why?

#1,172      
Nah. Plenty of guys in the league at his size playing off the ball. I remember the same narrative existing for Kendrick Nunn - how he needed to morph into a PG to have a shot. There's a lot of teams playing positionless on the perimeter.

Remind how Nunn's road differed from Miller (want) expected roads? Nunn has proven through hard work and the rigors of play on how to get to the league, and he wasn't even on the radar coming out of college. Miller is, but will be competing against as many as 10 other prospective NBA'ers coming out after 1 year? Don't see it, Miller is a special talent, he is not a ultra special 6-3" SG, CG, PG, no matter what anyone thinks. The drafting of off guards is just not a priority for the most part for most teams.

#1,174      
Can someone explain why Kentucky is allowed to sign 6 commits for 2020 (per 247 all have signed LOIs) and yet they only have 1 senior on the roster? As far as I can tell they have 13 scholarship players this year.

I don't think there is actually any limit on oversigning. Some say they can only oversign by one. I am not sure where that came from. IU used to oversign by several too, hence the term creaning. I believe the rule is they have have to have a plan be down to 13 by the time practice starts. Something like that.

#1,175      
Sorry if this has already been stated but with Adam Miller committed we're technically over signed by 1 right? Okay yes he hasn't signed yet, but assuming he will then we will be over the limit, correct? Now obviously this probably won't be a problem if a certain someone or couple of guys have a very good chance of going pro after this year. Just want to make sure that I got that correct. I've been trying to follow what's going on LOL.

There is no oversigning rule in basketball. Even if there were, Miller has not signed. So technically, no. However, we have 13 on scholarship, 2 signed, and a third committed. They could still sign more in the spring, there is no limit. My understanding is they have to be down to 13 by the time practice starts next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.