Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,177      

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
There is no oversigning rule in basketball. Even if there were, Miller has not signed. So technically, no. However, we have 13 on scholarship, 2 signed, and a third committed. They could still sign more in the spring, there is no limit. My understanding is they have to be down to 13 by the time practice starts next fall.
Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

#1,179      
Hard to deny that he could be, considering that he is currently listed as a 2021 first-rounder on ESPN -- https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/27840506/nba-mock-draft-top-prospects-2021

Yeah, no disservice being done, but he is a long shot for sure.

Just taking last year as example, 5 of the top 10 ten nationally ranked players were not drafted in the first round. 50% of the top ten is all that was drafted. Now lets drop down to players ranked in the 30-40 nationally, zero made it last year. First round draft picks are hard to come by.

He is a talent and draft experts must like his potential, I can't read that article, but he is the type of player at this point, like Ayo, that will need to prove he can compete against higher competition to go in the first round.

#1,180      
Question for those who know more about 24/7 rankings than I do. Currently, the Illini have 3 recruits listed with an average ranking of 95.16 and a 58.86 points -- good for the #12 class. Xavier has 3 recruits also but with a slightly higher average ranking of 95.78, but that is only good for 58.49 points and #14 class. Not that it matters, but curious how Xavier can have be ranked below Illini. Anyone know why?
Points are based on, in part, your highest ranked recruits. I haven’t looked but I’d assume that Miller/Curbelo are slightly ahead of Xavier’s first 2 guys. Hawkins isn’t “hurting us” by being lower ranked essentially.

#1,182      
...He is a talent and draft experts must like his potential, I can't read that article, but he is the type of player at this point, like Ayo, that will need to prove he can compete against higher competition to go in the first round.
Right. AND, Ayo had a very good year last year, but was not a 1&D.

#1,183      
This forum must have the highest concentration of NBA scouts on the internet based on some of the posts here.
Dude thank you. I consume a lot of Illinois content, whether it be here, Reddit or a a pay site but it is continuously shocking how often Illinois fans decide they should make comments about one of our future/current player’s NBA potential. And not even just comments, statements like Coleman Hawkins has a play style like Kevin Durant (looking at you PlayAz). Or that Kofi will never play in the NBA. Or now the Adam Miller thing even though the Draft Express guys have him in their initial mock. It’s absurd and beyond irritating.

#1,184      
There is no oversigning rule in basketball. Even if there were, Miller has not signed. So technically, no. However, we have 13 on scholarship, 2 signed, and a third committed. They could still sign more in the spring, there is no limit. My understanding is they have to be down to 13 by the time practice starts next fall.
Unless Luther pays their way.

#1,185      
Yeah, no disservice being done, but he is a long shot for sure.

Just taking last year as example, 5 of the top 10 ten nationally ranked players were not drafted in the first round. 50% of the top ten is all that was drafted. Now lets drop down to players ranked in the 30-40 nationally, zero made it last year. First round draft picks are hard to come by.

He is a talent and draft experts must like his potential, I can't read that article, but he is the type of player at this point, like Ayo, that will need to prove he can compete against higher competition to go in the first round.
He is in that mock draft because of how he competed against the best of the best at a recent Team USA mini camp.

#1,186      
He is in that mock draft because of how he competed against the best of the best at a recent Team USA mini camp.

Good to know. Figured that the draft experts had some rational for being bullish on him.

#1,187      
Adam Miller, Talen Horton Tucker to Illinois...

36587C7D-CC28-4ACD-839A-CBD93EA93276.JPG

#1,189      
I am sure no one cares....but I can't imagine any Illini fan who would not want Ayo for a third year as opposed to a frosh in Miller. But in that regard, it is a win/win situation unless, of course, Miller ends up at Michigan. Miller is a welcome addition in C-U and I hope he has an unforgetable contribution to the program, but a third year Ayo would also be welcome without him. My only regret is that Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would make his collegiate experience exceptional. Speaking from experience, I would rather have played on a team where I was a dependable part with 3 other All-State caliber players rather than an elite scorer with only a couple of other guys who could score. The NBA will find him if they want him...even if he plays for Millikin.

I 100% want a Freshman Miller over a Junior Ayo. If Ayo is healthy this year and does not get drafted, Illinois did not have the season we want them to have. Illinois developing Ayo into a first rounder this year is best case scenario.

#1,190      
I 100% want a Freshman Miller over a Junior Ayo. If Ayo is healthy this year and does not get drafted, Illinois did not have the season we want them to have. Illinois developing Ayo into a first rounder this year is best case scenario.

Gotta break this nonsense train...

Ayo could be down all year and still be a plus player. If Trent, Dre, Griffin, Giorgi, Kofi are all going off we could still have an amazing season whether it gets Ayo to the draft or not

#1,193      
IMHO....trying to play a game with the draft and/or playing a game with recruiting to get a situation where you can "showcase" your skills or "be the man" has backfired on far more kids than it has worked our positively. Such behavior assumes the NBA is somewhat naive in their observations....but they are far more informed than any kid. They are always looking for "team first" players with high level skills at both ends who can recognize and execute in any situation for the benefit of the team. If you have those skills, they will find you even if you play for Illinois Wesleyan. Finding a coach and teammates that will allow you to enjoy and develop in your college experience is primary to future success.

That said, personally I would like to see the end of the one and done era by having college basketball use the same rules as football and baseball. Go pro out of high school or you must turn 21 before being eligible for the draft. Eliminating the elite players would not hurt college basketball in any way and go a long way toward cleaning up game.

#1,194      
This forum must have the highest concentration of NBA scouts on the internet based on some of the posts here.

Wanna be comics and Captain Obvious as well....we are all in the mix somewhere.

#1,197      
Dude thank you. I consume a lot of Illinois content, whether it be here, Reddit or a a pay site but it is continuously shocking how often Illinois fans decide they should make comments about one of our future/current player’s NBA potential. And not even just comments, statements like Coleman Hawkins has a play style like Kevin Durant (looking at you PlayAz). Or that Kofi will never play in the NBA. Or now the Adam Miller thing even though the Draft Express guys have him in their initial mock. It’s absurd and beyond irritating.

I still think the kid plays similiar style to Durant, several posts since the original one, I have referenced other wording as well. Never once eluded to the fact that he could be as good, as great, have the career, or even be our Durant. Others have implied that, :)unsure:)...

Unfortunately, there seems at times in order for an opinion to be recieved it must be spelled out in a totality fashion for it to be received.

I am not sure I have actually seen anyone on here post that Kofi will NEVER play in NBA, just opinions to the sort of when he will go? Adam Miller and Ayo for that fact are in many mock drafts, they are also omitted from many as well.

So I simply as a fan offer a FANS opinion, whether it is irritating or absurd (looking at your opinion-yes we all get one), or not. Short haitus?

#1,198      

CBS-MOCK DRAFT 3 days ago - Ayo at #23
SPORTING NEWS 2 wks ago - Ayo at #19
NBA DRAFT ROOM 3 days ago - Ayo #37...2021 shows Kofi @ #57, No Adam Miller-he is listed at 2022 @ #20

Plenty of reason to discuss, opinionate, argue, disagree on any of our current players positions or expectations and or years they will go....I don't find this absurd at all...it is Illinois basketball afterall. I wish they all could go PRO, first round, lottery, then we would all be happy as fans!

Last edited:
#1,199      
This has taken such a strange turn. I can't think of a time where we were actively hoping a soph. PG leaves early for the NBA and doesn't want to stick around for another year. I get it. Just funny.
I mean ideally Ayo plays lights out, we win the NCAA tournament, and he decides he wants to do it 2 more times before going to the NBA where he makes multiple public statements about how his coaches at Illinois made it possible for him to be the league MVP 10 years in a row... but even I realize that’s a fantasy (probably only get 2 of 3 National titles)

Status
Not open for further replies.