Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,201      

Bailey

Los Angeles
Remind how Nunn's road differed from Miller (want) expected roads? Nunn has proven through hard work and the rigors of play on how to get to the league, and he wasn't even on the radar coming out of college. Miller is, but will be competing against as many as 10 other prospective NBA'ers coming out after 1 year? Don't see it, Miller is a special talent, he is not a ultra special 6-3" SG, CG, PG, no matter what anyone thinks. The drafting of off guards is just not a priority for the most part for most teams.

Not sure your point. You said a guard Miller's size needs to play point guard to get to the league and I said that's untrue, and they said the same thing about Nunn. Doesn't mean Miller doesn't have to work hard.

#1,202      

Bailey

Los Angeles
This forum must have the highest concentration of NBA scouts on the internet based on some of the posts here.
I could take a guess on how many of these "scouts" actually watch NBA basketball in 2019 too...

#1,203      
Not sure your point. You said a guard Miller's size needs to play point guard to get to the league and I said that's untrue, and they said the same thing about Nunn. Doesn't mean Miller doesn't have to work hard.

Nunn was stated as having to play PG, he doesn't/didn't have the PG skill set for NBA...he is now a CG/SG. Miller is a scorer like Nunn, and the same will be said about him playing/drafted as a PG assuming he has the skill set. If not, he may have to languish like Nunn until he makes it as well.

#1,204      
I am sure no one cares....but I can't imagine any Illini fan who would not want Ayo for a third year as opposed to a frosh in Miller. But in that regard, it is a win/win situation unless, of course, Miller ends up at Michigan. Miller is a welcome addition in C-U and I hope he has an unforgetable contribution to the program, but a third year Ayo would also be welcome without him. My only regret is that Miller does not see that playing alongside Ayo, Frazier, Kofi, and Georgi would make his collegiate experience exceptional. Speaking from experience, I would rather have played on a team where I was a dependable part with 3 other All-State caliber players rather than an elite scorer with only a couple of other guys who could score. The NBA will find him if they want him...even if he plays for Millikin.
Easy, my son goes to Millikin!

#1,206      
Who is the third leg...Ayo/Adam/???
Honestly, the guy who's going to be the third leg, should Ayo stay....is going to be Frazier.

This is PURELY my opinion and it could be complete lunacy (probably is), but I'm seeing Frazier as a third leg THIS year. He's become a facilitator and distributor....which seems to be the role that Curbelo who, per BU, "is the best high school passing guard in the country" is going to take when he gets here. You add in Miller, who by all accounts is an "elite" scorer and shooter with size and I think that Frazier eventually comes off the bench as a scoring 6th man.

Again, this is purely me bouncing ideas off the wall based on the role I'm seeing Frazier playing and being praised for this year and using Ayo staying as the scenario being discussed.

Now, if/when Ayo does go pro, all of my rambling above is moot.

I think we all know that there's going to be a transfer or two opening up space.

Stacking talent is a great thing. It's the sign of a successful program, unfortunately, it does lead to transfers when there's a log jam.

#1,207      
Points are based on, in part, your highest ranked recruits. I haven’t looked but I’d assume that Miller/Curbelo are slightly ahead of Xavier’s first 2 guys. Hawkins isn’t “hurting us” by being lower ranked essentially.

Thanks. Makes sense as Miller is higher than their top guy, Curbelo If remember correctly was about same as Xavier’s top guy, and Hawkins was a fair amount below their number 3.

#1,208      

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
This has taken such a strange turn. I can't think of a time where we were actively hoping a soph. PG leaves early for the NBA and doesn't want to stick around for another year. I get it. Just funny.
You say you get it, which if you do, then this response isn't directed at you, but at others who have voiced their opinions that we should want Ayo back even at the cost of losing Miller. It's all about optics to the next potential "One & Done" or Top 50 recruit who considers U of I. We don't want to be the school who takes the potential O&D player and turns them into 3 to 4 year college player who may or may not get drafted in the first round. We want to be the school that coaches these kids up in a year or two into lottery picks in the NBA draft and go on to have solid NBA careers. That's how you consistently land 4 and 5 star kids. Do you think Coach K and Duke or other bluebloods would have the consistent success they are having if they weren't showing that they could consistently develop these recruits into NBA lottery picks in a year or two? And I get it, some kids are NBA level out of high school and a year of college is a formality, but there's a SMALL number of those kids each year.

I think we need Ayo to go pro after this year, 1st round for sure, preferably a lottery pick. To land the talent that we as fans strive for, Underwood has to show that he can develop these borderline 4/5 star recruits into 1st round draft picks if not lottery picks. If not, we'll struggle to continue to land that type of talent and IMO we'll struggle to land the talent it takes to win the B1G. Sure, with solid recruits and good coaching we'll likely be top half of the B1G, but I want to be competing for conference championships, not scraping by around the bubble every year.

#1,209      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Who is the third leg...Ayo/Adam/???
1574713543744.jpeg

#1,212      
So what do we do now?? We are signed for 2020. I don't understand this feeling of a full class this early.

#1,215      
Honestly, the guy who's going to be the third leg, should Ayo stay....is going to be Frazier.

This is PURELY my opinion and it could be complete lunacy (probably is), but I'm seeing Frazier as a third leg THIS year. He's become a facilitator and distributor....which seems to be the role that Curbelo who, per BU, "is the best high school passing guard in the country" is going to take when he gets here. You add in Miller, who by all accounts is an "elite" scorer and shooter with size and I think that Frazier eventually comes off the bench as a scoring 6th man.

Again, this is purely me bouncing ideas off the wall based on the role I'm seeing Frazier playing and being praised for this year and using Ayo staying as the scenario being discussed.

Now, if/when Ayo does go pro, all of my rambling above is moot.

I think we all know that there's going to be a transfer or two opening up space.

Stacking talent is a great thing. It's the sign of a successful program, unfortunately, it does lead to transfers when there's a log jam.

Let's hope you're wrong.

TF's quiet start could be for any of a number of reasons that have been stated in multiple threads.

Bottom line, Trent needs to put together a season that gets him at least honorable mention for all big ten. Anything short of that probably means the team is essentially under performing. I'm not currently worried because I think he's going to light it up. but if a senior frazier isn't an all big ten performer, i'll be very disappointed.

#1,216      
Let's hope you're wrong.

TF's quiet start could be for any of a number of reasons that have been stated in multiple threads.

Bottom line, Trent needs to put together a season that gets him at least honorable mention for all big ten. Anything short of that probably means the team is essentially under performing. I'm not currently worried because I think he's going to light it up. but if a senior frazier isn't an all big ten performer, i'll be very disappointed.

Wood has been very complimentary regarding Trent's D lately. When Da'Monte isn't in the game, we need someone else to lock down the other team's best guard/wing. Plus when you have a bunch of guys that are hot, it's best to pass them the ball to keep it rolling.

Last edited:
#1,219      
I played in a couple of pick-up games at Illinois State with Nick Conner and Nick Weatherspoon, and another time with.Jack Sikma ,. We tried to guard them, but mostly we just watched them score. Conner could stand flat-footed under the basket and dunk the ball. The thing that most stays is my mind is their extreme quickness. Not of this planet. :)

#1,220      
So what do we do now?? We are signed for 2020. I don't understand this feeling of a full class this early.
I think we should complain that we don’t have any scolies left for those spring low ranked players. How are we going to get another Giorgi?

#1,222      
I played in a couple of pick-up games at Illinois State with Nick Conner and Nick Weatherspoon, and another time with.Jack Sikma ,. We tried to guard them, but mostly we just watched them score. Conner could stand flat-footed under the basket and dunk the ball. The thing that most stays is my mind is their extreme quickness. Not of this planet. :)
Spoon may well be the best rebounder that we have ever had and he had to compete with Conner for each of those rebounds.

#1,225      
Sky, you have officially won today. You da best!!
I am deducting points because he didn't post the actual .gif instead of the photo.....

Sadly my old laptop died and I no longer have that, I'm sure someone does....

Status
Not open for further replies.