Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,726      
Isn't there some kind of law of diminishing returns, though? Wings are the easiest position to recruit (true PGs and skilled bigs are more rare). We are 3-deep at each wing spot RN...I feel like we've covered the backup plans for next year.

We're not deep at the 4 or 5, and we only have 2 young PGs. Those positions are more needed, and given limited recruiting time and resources, it seems like kind of a waste of time to focus on any more wings for 2017 unless we're talking about a top talent (like Wilkes)

we do not need another PG TL is a PG Trent will be a PG/ combo DW is a Combo/PG so we should be just fine there, a big is the need

#1,728      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We can play more than one of them at a time. :D

If you can get Dosumnu or Ramey, you take them.

Think the OP was talkin' 2017. WRT, Dosunmu or Ramey, sure, total no-brainer (alas, I think Ramey's gone). The focus on 2017 has to be on bigs. Sure, there will be some tire kicking on wings and guards. Verge, as a partial qualifier (i.e., 2018), would be very interesting. But I digress. Fully expect us to land one more big in this class, if not two.

#1,730      
Think the OP was talkin' 2017. WRT, Dosunmu or Ramey, sure, total no-brainer (alas, I think Ramey's gone). The focus on 2017 has to be on bigs. Sure, there will be some tire kicking on wings and guards. Verge, as a partial qualifier (i.e., 2018), would be very interesting. But I digress. Fully expect us to land one more big in this class, if not two.

Fair enough, I agree you wouldn't want another PG in this class. And agree we'll add at least one big. Ideally you'd add 2, a 5th year or JC guy that could help right away and then another guy who might need a season or two to develop that could take over when Tilmon leaves (after 2 years?). But that's a tough ask, so we probably try to get the 5th year guy and end up with the other getting filled in 2018.

#1,731      

Smacko

Lexington, KY

Yeah I would be surprised if we don't go for at least 1 more big in this class. Epperson would be best case scenario. Could be a JuCo guy as well although our luck with JuCo guys hasn't been great. Another 5th year guy is certainly an option too.

#1,732      
Yeah I would be surprised if we don't go for at least 1 more big in this class. Epperson would be best case scenario. Could be a JuCo guy as well although our luck with JuCo guys hasn't been great. Another 5th year guy is certainly an option too.
Not sure of the Juco rules, but if he is going to be at Illinois more than one year he better be real good as it would take a 2017 and 2018 scholarship. A good 5th year Big would probably be a better option unless they can get a Juco stud IMO.

#1,738      

sacraig

The desert
Why would Groce want Epperson to come to a home game without the Krush? Seems like a bad idea to me.

No one says that Groce considered this an ideal time to visit. It may have just been the only time that worked in the near future.

#1,739      

illinoisfan11

Peoria, IL
No one says that Groce considered this an ideal time to visit. It may have just been the only time that worked in the near future.

He may not have school this week due to the holiday, which would have made it an ideal time for him to come over. I do agree that it wasn't the best atmosphere to have a recruit there for...or outcome...

#1,741      

drumanimal

Orlando, FL
Some good news our guy Tilmon plays against Champaign Central tonight in Springfield!!

#1,742      
It is a good sign either way that he came down and is showing interest. Yes we lost and not a big crowd. This isn't his official. He hasn't visited any other schools that I'm aware of so for him to come twice unofficially is good. Also for him to come on the heals of a former La Lumaire student and 5 star big man commit is a good sign as well.

#1,743      
It is a good sign either way that he came down and is showing interest. Yes we lost and not a big crowd. This isn't his official. He hasn't visited any other schools that I'm aware of so for him to come twice unofficially is good. Also for him to come on the heals of a former La Lumaire student and 5 star big man commit is a good sign as well.

He was just at Purdue for one of their games this past week and came down here for last nights game.

#1,744      
Purdue could be a concern considering they have had greater recent success and success with their big men.

I still like our chances with the class we have. He obviously likes to play with highly rated players if he is at LaLu. Seeing Finke do the inside and outside thing has to be a selling item as well, since that fits his game.

#1,745      

illinitrav

NW Suburbs
Sat right next to Epperson at the game. He is as skinny as Tisdale was as a Sr in high school. I'm impressed by his tape but he's a definite redshirt candidate.

#1,746      
Sat right next to Epperson at the game. He is as skinny as Tisdale was as a Sr in high school. I'm impressed by his tape but he's a definite redshirt candidate.

If Illinois would want to redshirt him then he definitely wouldnt want to come to Illinois. Typically top 100 recruits dont redshirt, especially ones with offers from Cal, Creighton, Iowa, Marquette, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Purdue, Texas AM, UCLA, UNLV, Utah, West Va, Wich. State among others.

#1,747      

Dan

Admin
[YOUTUBE]e_hFPYYp4LE[/YOUTUBE]

#1,748      
Jacob just needs some additional LL Bean or Duluth Trading winter clothing so he can tolerate the IL winter weather to walk between campuses, then he'll be ok.

#1,749      
If Illinois would want to redshirt him then he definitely wouldnt want to come to Illinois. Typically top 100 recruits dont redshirt, especially ones with offers from Cal, Creighton, Iowa, Marquette, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Purdue, Texas AM, UCLA, UNLV, Utah, West Va, Wich. State among others.

Thank you for that! I have heard wayyyy too many times lately talk of red shirting recruits that are top talent. That is a ridiculous concept and hope we can move away from making such comments.

#1,750      
By the way, as far as our remaining 2017 scholarships, after watching last night's game, I would be happy with a defensive juggernaut, an intimidator....a lockdown guy. I'm not sure I ever need him to score a collegiate point...just take care of business on the defensive end of the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.