Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,505      
Now THERE is some good news! Let's give him a good show. :cool::shield:

Well it's apparent the "Illini Faithful/Nation" like The Smith kid but what does the big guy (Groce) think?????

Can Smith help an already highly talented recruiting class....

#2,506      
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Well it's apparent the "Illini Faithful/Nation" like The Smith kid but what does the big guy (Groce) think?????

I think it's great we have downstate talent coming to the game. Hopefully we can blow out MizNoz and show them that this is the season the program has turned the corner!!! Keep the talent cling, Coach Groce!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2,507      

I think the expectation should be that Groce at least evaluates Smith. The iron could be hot right now, so you hope that evaluation comes to a conclusion sooner rather than later. We also have to consider that Groce is coaching the team right now and that's his primary focus. I do think Smith should be on the priority list right behind that though.

#2,508      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

The fact he'll be at the game shows he's interested in the Illini, which either means he likes us or Groce and staff have shown enough interest that they convinced him to come. Either way it's a positive sign. :thumb:

#2,509      
The fact he'll be at the game shows he's interested in the Illini, which either means he likes us or Groce and staff have shown enough interest that they convinced him to come. Either way it's a positive sign. :thumb:

Its hard to believe someone from Edwardsville wouldn't grow up an Illini fan. What other P5/6 schools would he root for?

But I agree this is good--my only hang up is he needs to be either a capable 1 or 3. He may be versitile, but just because he has the tools to be that doesn't mean he is that. If we are gonna use another ride on a wing, we need him to fill a need and be a 2/3 tweener isn't something we need right now.

I guess you can put me in the category of get him regardless, just because I know all the guys wont be there in a couple years for various reasons. And I'm a huge fan of locking down these Central/Southern Illinois guys. Sure Chicago is great, but these dudes are in our backyard they need to be Illini if they have any talent at all and Smith does.

#2,510      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We've been to at least one of his practices, we've been to multiple games. He's our guest at the Border War game tonight. Anyone doubt an offer is forthcoming?

#2,511      
Would be a great time to offer post game if we smash miznoz and he's excited.

#2,513      
Just noticed an article on Scout about Ayo, it had the title "Illinois is at the top of my list"??

#2,514      
Its hard to believe someone from Edwardsville wouldn't grow up an Illini fan. What other P5/6 schools would he root for?

But I agree this is good--my only hang up is he needs to be either a capable 1 or 3. He may be versitile, but just because he has the tools to be that doesn't mean he is that. If we are gonna use another ride on a wing, we need him to fill a need and be a 2/3 tweener isn't something we need right now.

I guess you can put me in the category of get him regardless, just because I know all the guys wont be there in a couple years for various reasons. And I'm a huge fan of locking down these Central/Southern Illinois guys. Sure Chicago is great, but these dudes are in our backyard they need to be Illini if they have any talent at all and Smith does.

Obviously I'm partial to Illinois but I could easily see a kid growing up in Edwardsville not being an Illini fan growing up. There are a billion factors at play there. First of all, Edwardsville is actually closer to Columbia, MO than to Champaign. Or maybe a kid didn't grow up there and his parents went to schools the family supports. Or maybe SLU captured his imagination. Who knows...and when it comes down to it, who you rooted for growing up doesn't matter so much when he are actually meeting the characters and placing yourself at the school, with the teammates, in the offense, etc. You can grow up rooting for a team and then have to make a personal choice of the best place for you. And as we've seen, growing up in Illinois (especially these days with how "small" and accessible the world has become) does not mean that you are attached to the large state school in any way. Kids grow up watching TV and see way more schools than just the local ones. That's why plenty of kids grow up as bandwagoners rooting for Duke.

#2,515      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Just noticed an article on Scout about Ayo, it had the title "Illinois is at the top of my list"??

Still a LONG way to go, but I will take any good news we can get.

#2,516      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Still a LONG way to go, but I will take any good news we can get.

Yep. Very encouraging, but should be tempered by "so far." When the blue bloods come knockin', things may change. That said, think Ayo's strong family presence definitely helps us though.

#2,517      
The timing is interesting to me. The coaching staff may be ready to offer Smith soon, is Ayo trying to ensure a spot by letting the staff know he is really interested in coming here? Or does it even matter, we could take both?

#2,518      
Mark Smith is averaging 21 points and 10 assists/game, just whooped on Jordan Goodwin, and some people wonder if we should offer?

My only concern is if Mark wants to play PG in college and we have a bit of a logjam at the position from his POV.

Offer him and we can have 2 PGs on the court at ALL times. Worked pretty well for us back in 05 and worked well for Nova last season.

#2,519      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The timing is interesting to me. The coaching staff may be ready to offer Smith soon, is Ayo trying to ensure a spot by letting the staff know he is really interested in coming here? Or does it even matter, we could take both?

Absolute no-brainer, IMO. We'd oversign for Ayo, in a heartbeat (not that it will come to that).

#2,520      
Mark Smith is averaging 21 points and 10 assists/game, just whooped on Jordan Goodwin, and some people wonder if we should offer?

My only concern is if Mark wants to play PG in college and we have a bit of a logjam at the position from his POV.

Offer him and we can have 2 PGs on the court at ALL times. Worked pretty well for us back in 05 and worked well for Nova last season.

You can probably cut that assist number in half, Edwardsville is notorious for greatly inflating their rebound and assist numbers. At any rate, 21 points and 5 assists is still pretty darn good. I think he could definitely help the Illini in a few years.

#2,521      

A logjam can disappear pretty quickly with an injury or two. Who knows how Damonte W will recover from his injury. And TJL has been injured a good part of the last 12 months.

Honestly, I don't think it will matter. I think Smith is good enough to come in and play alot right away.

It may end up being a blessing that we didn't get Goodwin.

#2,522      

Ayo is a 2018 recruit. I don't think this comes into consideration.

#2,523      
A logjam can disappear pretty quickly with an injury or two. Who knows how Damonte W will recover from his injury. And TJL has been injured a good part of the last 12 months.

Honestly, I don't think it will matter. I think Smith is good enough to come in and play alot right away.

It may end up being a blessing that we didn't get Goodwin.

I like Smith. But we would have been very pleased to have Goodwin. He's a good player with a lot of motivation and leadership and getting him might have helped avoid the delay and panic over Tilmon waiting to sign.

#2,524      
The annual Collinsville holiday tournament takes place next week from 12/28 - 12/30. This will be a great chance to see some of the metro east' talent showcased. East side , Edwardsville, Belleville East, Altoff among others. Many of our recruits and or targets current and past will be going head to head and should help clear the air regarding one Mr Smith.;)

#2,525      

Mizzou. Edwardsville is in the STL media market. I live nearby and there are plenty of Mizzou fans all around me because the local college sports coverage on STL television is pretty much dominated by Mizzou (and SLU once every 10 years when they are relevant.)

The Illini get a token mention, but it's pretty much just to show the final score, and any highlights from local kids who may be on the team. We've had a good run with Malcom and Griffey before him of actually getting to see a few highlights on the news.

Status
Not open for further replies.