Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,728      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
#2,729      
I beleive this is a picture of Mark Smith.
He is even wearing an Illini shirt, so pull the trigger now and give this guy an offer.

jpg.gif

My fear is that this young man will end up at Wisconsin or even NU. You either recruit great players or play against them. Smith seems like a great kid with leadership qualities, would represent university well.

#2,730      

Foggy Notion

San Francisco
Again, wasn't trying to imply that they were comparable talents. Here's another comparison I would make in terms of STYLE and PHYSICAL TOOLS: Trent Frazier is similar to Jason Terry. I don't think Frazier will become a 17-year NBA player and multiple time All-Star because he's a skinny, bouncy, attacking combo guard with a quick release and a lot of swagger.

Some people, for reasons I can't comprehend, will not abide someone making a playing style-based comparison. They automatically go, "you think (blank) is going to be the next Patrick Ewing?!? That's ridiculous," when the comparison might have nothing to do with maximum potential or predicted outcomes. Here's what I think: there are tons of guys I'd compare to Michael Jordan - 6'6, athletic, aggressive, scoring wings who don't rely on 3pt shooting. Doesn't mean I think they're as good as Jordan or even "good" at all, necessarily.

But yes, re: Smith/Westbrook, I was super drunk. Probably should ease up on the posting at that hour.

I believe Rick Brunson was the next Patrick Ewing, and you're the Michael Jordan of drunk basketball analysts. :thumb:

The purpose of an analogy is to compare two different things based on partial similarity, not to compare two things that are exactly the same. The nature of an analogy is that there will always be differences between the two things being compared. If you focus on the differences rather than the similarities, you are missing the point of the analogy. For example, if you say, "It kind of tastes like chicken," it is obvious that the food you are trying to describe is not actually chicken, but the analogy can be a useful way of explaining what it tastes like to someone who has never tried it, even though it may not taste exactly like chicken.

#2,733      
Whitman needs to reach out to DMac and get him back on campus. He's not been back since he graduated. Not good.

#2,734      
DMac was an extremely gifted offensive player. We throw that comparison around too easily. He'd be a legend here if he had gotten any help.

This is literally the first player post Demetri I've ever seen compared to Demetri on this board.

Demetri was second in the nation in assists per game as a junior with over 7 and shot around 45% from 3 as a senior despite constant double teams and being option 1/2/3 on our offense.

I greatly appreciate his contributions and agree had his teams won more he'd be looked at differently but comparing Smith to him is no slight to Demetri. It's simply a compliment to Smith.

#2,741      
Hope he gets offered tonight!

I think he will be offered, glad to see Walker there. Going to be a good game, I think Edwardsville better coached and more fundamentally sound. Last game Goodwin didn't guard Smith much, have to think this will change.

#2,742      
I think he will be offered, glad to see Walker there. Going to be a good game, I think Edwardsville better coached and more fundamentally sound. Last game Goodwin didn't guard Smith much, have to think this will change.

Agreed. Only thing that would/could change this quickly is foul trouble. Then you can't afford to have your best player guarding theirs.. Especially not with h.s. refs.

#2,745      
Any updates on the east St. Louis game.

I've been checking Pipers twitter and haven't seen anything

#2,747      

ILLINI76

Springfiled, IL.
ESL was up 16 going in the 4th. Got out scored 24- 8.

#2,749      
I'm pulling for Edwardsville, like the way they play and the way Smith runs the team. Somebody asked how do Smith and Goodwin differ, for one Smith doesn't act like he won the Superbowl after every basket.

#2,750      

Deleted member 10676

D
We were calling that swag, when we thought he was coming here.

Status
Not open for further replies.