Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
I am fairly new here. Are "insiders" unwelcome? I have seen some negative comments over the last couple months.

They are always welcome with 2 conditions:
1) They are NEVER to be wrong. If they are we will tar and feather them and run them out of town. Lynching is considered bad form, but still acceptable.
2) They can never know bad news. Punishment is only slightly less severe than #1.

Other than those two things, they are welcome and will be regularly mocked!

Dan

Admin
Brad Underwood Signing Day Press Conference

[YOUTUBE]GnYj8aqAQrs[/YOUTUBE]

https://twitter.com/JWerner247

Underwood: "It's not a good day, it's a great day for the history of Illinois basketball"

Underwood: Don't care about stars on guy. It's about fitting pieces of puzzle. This one just happens to be a 5-star

Underwood: After watching Ayo play for 5-10 minutes, this is a guy who fit a big piece of our puzzle.

Underwood: We have a system that we recruit to. Ayo is a winner, first and foremost. High-character young man.

Underwood: Ayo's talent speaks for itself. He's a top-30 kid. What I love the most about him is his competitive drive not to be good but to be great.

Underwood: When he was matched against other high-profile guards, there's no question who won those battles.

Underwood: Ayo has tremendous charisma and personality that is very, very contagious.

Underwood: Ayo has great speed, great length. Chance to be an elite defender who can guard multiple positions. Best layup maker I've seen in a long time.

Underwood: He's a guy who continued to improve. I take note of that.

Underwood: I think you'll see Ayo's stock rise. He's a potential McDonald's All-American. He's a potential Mr. Basketball. We're elated to have him.

Underwood: We have two scholarships left. We'll add a shooter in this class. And then we need to try to add one more piece of size.

Who those people will be, there's a lot of options out there. We'll continue to look for them.

Underwood: Important for us to take care of our home base, whether he plays in Chicago Public League or downstate.

Underwood: Ayo's got size and exceptional speed. I like guys who are different than other guys on roster. Has unique ability to get his own shot. A blur in transition.

Underwood: Wed' be foolish not to sell what Jawun Evans did in our system. There's a lot of similarities.

Underwood: I truly believe this, great players want to play with great players.

Underwood: Chin obviously had some previous history with Ayo. We group-recruit. We all dealt with his recruitment.

Underwood: One thing Ayo will continue to do is add strength. Biggest adjustment will be playing against guys who are older.

Underwood: "We got the best strength coach in the country" @Adam_Fletcher41

Underwood: I think Ayo is an underrated shooter. He doesn't have to shoot as many 3s because of how good he is at attacking the rim.

Underwood: Ayo and Mark Smith "are so similar in terms of what drives them."

Desire to not just be good but great

Underwood: Ayo and Mark "hit it off. Great players want to play with great players."

Underwood: Important for both Smith and Dosunmu to represent state.

Underwood: We'll take the two scholarships into the spring. A challenge for us is identifying our current team and what our needs are.

Underwood: If the right transfer comes along, we'll be interested.

Underwood: The world's a big place. We have a staff that recruits worldwide.

Underwood: Transfer has to have the immediate impact. Has to fit a need. I like growth, which is why I like HS guys.

Underwood: We got our guy. We got the guy who impacts our program.

Underwood: Hope our relationship in Chicago is great.

Underwood: We lost our swagger. I'm here to bring it back. I'm going to bring it back. There's no question about that.

Underwood: We're not just going to be a player in this state. We're going to be a major player.

Asked Underwood about Chicago recruiting being territorial. Said media focuses on that more than the reality. "We do the best thing we can for Illinois basketball in terms of fitting our puzzle."

They are always welcome with 2 conditions:
1) They are NEVER to be wrong. If they are we will tar and feather them and run them out of town. Lynching is considered bad form, but still acceptable.
2) They can never know bad news. Punishment is only slightly less severe than #1.

Other than those two things, they are welcome and will be regularly mocked!

Friends may come and friends may go....and friends may peter out you know....but we'll be friends through thick or then...peter out or peter in:cool:

Love Underwood already. Lets go Illini!:chief:

and welcome Ayo!

With all that went on, fall recruitment is complete. Play ball, watch high school stars play, pick up some gem's in the spring. Yeah baby, welcome Ayo. :chief::thumb:

Interesting. I knew we had the ships available, but didn't expect BU to announce that they would be used. Maybe Finke is still on the list?

According to rbachhuber, John Groce extended an offer to Tim Finke (not clear if it was "committable" or "non-committable"). At present, it appears that Brad Underwood is not actively recruiting Tim Finke.

According to rbachhuber, John Groce extended an offer to Tim Finke (not clear if it was "committable" or "non-committable"). At present, it appears that Brad Underwood is not actively recruiting Tim Finke.

Most high majors have stopped recruiting him. But I'm guessing the staff is still in touch with him considering he lives in town and his brother plays here. It's definitely a wait and see.

IllFanInMi

I
Anybody have a name, or 2, or 3 who didn’t sign who we were associated with? This forum has been so vanilla since THT, it almost seems sleepy.

Come on guys, find the juice����

IllFanInMi

I
Interesting side bar:

LSU (new staff) #3 class on 247
USC (Assistant tied to FBI scandal) #4
NCST (Keatts) #13

I know rankings will change once Duke and KY grab all the 20* kids, but I think this is good information.

Deleted member 631370

D
Interesting side bar:

LSU (new staff) #3 class on 247
USC (Assistant tied to FBI scandal) #4
NCST (Keatts) #13

I know rankings will change once Duke and KY grab all the 20* kids, but I think this is good information.

No doubt about it that brand new coaches can haul in big recruiting classes. Happens frequently.

Friends may come and friends may go....and friends may peter out you know....but we'll be friends through thick or then...peter out or peter in:cool:

This whole Peter in Peter out thing sounds kind of naughty to me. Are these FWBs you are referring to?

IllFanInMi

I
Good information for what?

Head Scratching, Bathroom Breaks, Late Night Boredom. For me, it means neither our staff coaching a game yet, or BU’s tie to the FBI scandal can be construed as absolute barriers to recruiting misses.

I’m not going to spin this into negativity, so many here feel attacked by certain opinions of others. I’m excited to see what the season brings, and diamonds in the rough late signees we get. BUT, despite Ayo being Ayo, I’m still of the mindset that one kid classes are not healthy.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
tumblr_kpsjixnm9T1qzk7tao1_r1_250.gif

lebowski.jpg

BigLebowski.gif

welcome to the Illini family, dude

breadman

Herndon, VA
Welcome aboard the O&B luxury liner, Mr. Dosunmu and family!!!! Feel free to bring along a couple of friends of your choosing!

IllFanInMi

I
Can we wait until spring signing period to declare this a "one kid class"?

We can, and I am as well; hoping for a couple adds that put us in the top 25 - 30 range, Id be happy with that. Again, I’m not declaring doom and gloom, just was really hoping for our class to be deeper already.

We all know how injuries, chemistry, underperforming talent can crush a season. Getting excited for 2019 kids is fun, but I want to dance before my knees get too bad. Yes, instant gratification, sorry :)

Head Scratching, Bathroom Breaks, Late Night Boredom. For me, it means neither our staff coaching a game yet, or BU’s tie to the FBI scandal can be construed as absolute barriers to recruiting misses.

I’m not going to spin this into negativity, so many here feel attacked by certain opinions of others. I’m excited to see what the season brings, and diamonds in the rough late signees we get. BUT, despite Ayo being Ayo, I’m still of the mindset that one kid classes are not healthy.

I don't feel attacked. I just didn't see why it mattered really. I agree one man classes aren't ideal but there are still unsigned players and although UofI is ranked 72 in recruiting, I would take Ayo over lots of classes ranked higher this year, and over quite a few of UofI's higher ranked classes we've had in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.