Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if a 2.4 HS GPA plus a 32 on his ACT triggered the investigation??:D
Maybe he's just one of those legit geniuses who's so smart that school doesn't challenge him enough so he slacks off and doesn't really try? Kind of like Albert Einstein.

Or not.

wettsten

Chicago
Maybe he's just one of those legit geniuses who's so smart that school doesn't challenge him enough so he slacks off and doesn't really try? Kind of like Albert Einstein.

Or not.

i dunno...what did einstein get on his ACT?

January is a top 100 kid. From the handful of highlight clips on YouTube, he can move and has good footwork and a decent handle for a big. Gio 2.0. :illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois:

He fits BU's system perfectly. Not getting Timme or Liddell or Tshiebwe (or Cockburn or whichever other big) is not a big blow to our ability to get better now. We are set for the future.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
What makes you see Christmas in January?

CP-got-Stern_d.gif

That was a slam dunk Truffaut !!!!!(y)

Honestly, I have to disagree. They have to go for anyone that they want that shows interest back. They have to invest the time, money, etc. And yesterday, they showed that they have a back up plan that worked!

Resources are limited. For example, an official visit cannot be recovered as far as I know. Once used, you no longer have that resource to go after anyone who shows interest back.

sacraig

The desert
And yet being on the podium and not winning also indicates a lot of time/resources/money that were spent on trying to land said recruit without any payoff. Whereas that time could have been spent on another recruit with a more favorable outcome. #opportunitycost... That being said, you lose 100% of the recruiting battles in which you're not involved, and there's no way to know which ones will be a positive result. That's the challenge when you're not a Blue Blood. That recognition of the situation and maximization of resources to land high level recruits is what sets the top tier non-Blue-Blood schools apart from the lower tiers. That, and illegal means, obviously.

Still waiting to see BU's staff (and many previous staffs) do this much better.

That's true, but unless you have some magical method that allows a coach to know ahead of time that he won't land a recruit, I fail to see how you would avoid taking these sorts of risks.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
That's true, but unless you have some magical method that allows a coach to know ahead of time that he won't land a recruit, I fail to see how you would avoid taking these sorts of risks.

Sales 101....every no brings you closer to a yes......

sacraig

The desert
Sales 101....every no brings you closer to a yes......

Now, I have no real experience with sales, but I do have experience with grant writing, in which case every 5 nos brings you closer to a yes.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Now, I have no real experience with sales, but I do have experience with grant writing, in which case every 5 nos brings you closer to a yes.

The number of no's isn't the point...It's the mentality of overcoming objections to whatever you're trying to promote...

Deleted member 4960

D
This whining about not getting all the recruits we are in on is rediculous. We just recruited a 4 star center. Georgi, in his play against a well regarded center last night I think proves he was a pretty good pick up. Tevian was good and obviously Ayo. Samba, Higgs and griffin will remain to be seen but this condemning and disappointment in a 2nd year coach with a team who hasn’t performed well in years and cleaned house just doesn’t sit well.

Deleted member 4960

D
And
The number of no's isn't the point...It's the mentality of overcoming objections to whatever you're trying to promote...

It’s also constantly prospecting and building a pipeline!! And it is about taking no’s and moving on to the next prospect. Yes it helps being able to overcome objections and also to research and target qualified prospects. It all works together. You can’t sell everyone.

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
Anybody able to give a definitive timeline about the schools January attended?

Taft in Woodland Hills, CA
Homestead High School Mequon, WI?
Hillcrest Prep Phoenix, AZ

One LA Times article suggests he left Taft in March last year before the school year even ended? Obviously Hillcrest Prep (Kyree Walker, Ayton, Bagley, etc) in Phoenix is a well known basketball factory/pseuso high school.

Are there any clearinghouse/qualifying worries?

IllFanInMi

I
Better than not being on the podium.
Not appl
January is a top 100 kid. From the handful of highlight clips on YouTube, he can move and has good footwork and a decent handle for a big. Gio 2.0. :illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois:

He fits BU's system perfectly. Not getting Timme or Liddell or Tshiebwe (or Cockburn or whichever other big) is not a big blow to our ability to get better now. We are set for the future.

Funny

Status
Not open for further replies.