Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, had to FTFY. I kept googling trying to figure out when he played at Kentucky.

Love the out-of-left-field scouting reports though.

Thanks, overzealous fan, recruiting on ILLINI part a little slow, so figured what the hell online recruit a little.

Have we even offered Payton? Seems like a situation where he understand he isn't going to get many P6 offers, and is just putting us there because we've shown some interest. I would think the January commitment kinda backs us off him.

When you look at his final 4, I would think there might be an implied offer IF say a Shannon doesn't commit etc....otherwise those are of just interest and the ILLINI look like the odd man out based on level of college no offense to any other

Deleted member 4333

D
Have we even offered Payton? Seems like a situation where he understand he isn't going to get many P6 offers, and is just putting us there because we've shown some interest. I would think the January commitment kinda backs us off him.

An offer to Chris Payton was added to the grid on June 7, 2017.

If Giorgi and Feliz are any kind of indication of this staff's ability to see ability and talent within this system, I'm 100% on board and really excited for next year.
Imagine Kipper with Ayo, Trent, Giorgi or Feliz's motor.
Imagine Kane taking the same strides as Giorgi in 2-3 months.
Imagine January next November.
Imagine a rotation at the 5 that allows Giorgi to move to the 4 and go big or small.
Imagine Ayo, Feliz, and Monte after a year of games and practice.
Imagine.

giphy.gif

I don't think Self would have even seen Deron Williams if he hadn't been on the same team as Bracey Wright. Deron wasn't even Plan A on that recruiting trip!

The key recruiter for Deron was Billy Gillispie who knew Deron and his HS coach for a long time. It was an not an incidental recruitment, Deron was a top 50 recruit and Gillispie was after him for a long time.

Deleted member 643761

D
I definitely think this year's team may be more fun to watch than any Illini team going back several years. They have some talent and athletic ability and I think I see some pretty good character that should make them fun to cheer for and follow. The only Plan A guy on the roster is Ayo I think, but I think the cast around him can become a pretty good team by the end of the season.

Thinking back to our last National Championship contender team (2005), how many of those guys were Plan A guys? Roger, Luther, Augie were not 1st choice recruits. Dee Brown was definitely a Plan A guy and Deron may have fit into that category, but remember that we were not even Deron's Plan A school. We kind of picked him up by default. Kenny Battle wasn't a Plan A guy for Illinois. Neither was Kendall Gill. Nick Anderson and Lowell Hamilton were. Marcus Liberty was a Plan A guy. Dion Thomas, Richard Keene and the Manual trio were Plan A guys. Corey Bradford, Lucas Johnson, Damir Krupalija, not Plan A guys.

Point is, it has been a long, long, long time since Illinois could go out and pick up more than 1 Plan A guy in a given recruiting class. Illinois has had the most success with a couple of Plan A guys in different classes and bunch of lunch pail guys around them. I am perfectly fine with that. I think Illinois needs a guy like Underwood that will reward hard working, unselfish, team first guys and promote a culture that embodies those characteristics and play with high basketball IQ. Every now and then we will get a Plan A guy and maybe a Plan B guy or two and some Plan C guys like Roger, Luther and Augie. That is our formula for winning at Illinois.

Roger luther and augie were all plan a guys. Not sure what you're thinking. Bradford as well.

Roger luther and augie were all plan a guys. Not sure what you're thinking. Bradford as well.

Both Roger and Augie were top 100 recruits, Roger was #62 RSCI and Augie was #78. Luther was 1st Team All-State and very highly regarded. Bradford was just outside the top 100. All Plan A guys, just that Plan A back then also included some other highly regarded players.

Deleted member 643761

D
Both Roger and Augie were top 100 recruits, Roger was #62 RSCI and Augie was #78. Luther was 1st Team All-State and very highly regarded. Bradford was just outside the top 100. All Plan A guys, just that Plan A back then also included some other highly regarded players.

The Dee Augie year we kinda had four plan A guys in Illinois. Add in Michael Thompson and Dockery. Pretty amazing to think about how we got the two best guys over Duke. At the time, it certainly wasn't clear who got the better end of the deal.

Deleted member 746094

D
IN terms of plan B, Verbal commits shows offers to Josaphat Bilau 6'11" PF 2 star from France with a impressive offer list. Also to Tristan Enaruna 6'7" SF 2 star from the Netherlands with a less impressive offer list. Have not seen these guys mentioned.

Really think the Enaruna kid will be a player. He and Jones at the 3 in a couple years would be a tough matchup. Still think Tevian will explode between this year and next and become a all-B10 caliber player.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I'm still a pass on Payton, and I think that's what the staff will do. Especially with January committed. If they need to, I think this staff can find a player of Payton's ability in the spring. For now, take your swing at Cockburn and scour the planet for wings.

Last edited:
Honestly, Illinois will take anyone at this point. Would love to see Payton come here.

Not true, I believe Payton is an ultimate fall back spring guy, would be shocked if he announced or ILLINI accepted him before then if even then. Payton has SIU type school written all over him imo.

Really think the Enaruna kid will be a player. He and Jones at the 3 in a couple years would be a tough matchup. Still think Tevian will explode between this year and next and become a all-B10 caliber player.

Enaruna has been mentioned briefly upside and experience is the draw there.

Deleted member 746094

D
This is just wrong. The January commitment lowers our urgency level substantially. Even without that, you don't return to the top of the B1G by taking just anyone.

Agreed. Every recruit we sign is crucial at this point. I think BU is a great coach, but you can’t win with just “anyone”. Talent ultimately reigns supreme. I feel Payton is definitely a fall back for the staff or he would have probably already accepted and faxed in his LOI this week.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
IN terms of plan B, Verbal commits shows offers to Josaphat Bilau 6'11" PF 2 star from France with a impressive offer list. Also to Tristan Enaruna 6'7" SF 2 star from the Netherlands with a less impressive offer list. Have not seen these guys mentioned.

Enaruna has definitely been mentioned here.

Also, what about Doudou Gueye? Are we no longer on the Doudou Train?
1542388388429.png

Status
Not open for further replies.