Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
-----------------------------------------------------------
Antwan January (2019 C) committed to Illinois on Nov. 13th

rbachhuber's Scholarship Grid
Updated 12/30/2018

Regular Signing Period Begins: April 17, 2019

Last edited:
Everyone is putting way to much stock in Jerry Meyers CB picks, He doesn't know until the day or 2 before a kid picks that is why he is notorious for flipping his pick. I can't say Timme is coming here but we are neck in neck with Gonzaga for him. Look at Gonzaga's 247 guy and Illinois's neither one has put in a CB because they aren't sure and they are more plugged into this than Jerry. Timme has the best relationship with BU, loves his style of coaching and play.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Because we are good enough, we are smart enough, and doggoneit, people like us!

FrightenedTenderIndianskimmer-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 2050

D
Look at Gonzaga's 247 guy and Illinois's neither one has put in a CB because they aren't sure and they are more plugged into this than Jerry.
Sounds like you're really plugged into the scene

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Hahahah it aint piper. Piper is good at his job but believe me or not I know some people in the athletics office and others close to the basketball program.

While I am happy with the first class, I see no reason to think Underwood is anything but a below average recruiter. The number of misses is staggering. We're operating on hope at this point, thinking that a good season will give us a much-needed lift in the Spring. It certainly could, but it doesn't erase how the fall has gone.

I would love to hear what our assistants honestly think of Underwood as a closer. I don't expect his personality to change, but I would expect he could benefit from getting advice and coaching from the guys who are stronger at that skill.

If we go O fer this fall,, we will be in deep DouDou this Spring.

Last edited:

A number of posts are wondering about UW's ability to close.
One's ability to close depends on having a "unique selling proposition."
What does everyone believe is our unique selling proposition?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm surprised how little thought is given to how much the recruiting game has been affected by the FBI investigations.
I am giving very little credence to the "BU can't recruit" noise until this plays out to the end. Recruiting behind the scenes has to be way different now than even a year ago.

Everyone is putting way to much stock in Jerry Meyers CB picks, He doesn't know until the day or 2 before a kid picks that is why he is notorious for flipping his pick. I can't say Timme is coming here but we are neck in neck with Gonzaga for him. Look at Gonzaga's 247 guy and Illinois's neither one has put in a CB because they aren't sure and they are more plugged into this than Jerry. Timme has the best relationship with BU, loves his style of coaching and play.
FIFY

I'm surprised how little thought is given to how much the recruiting game has been affected by the FBI investigations.
I am giving very little credence to the "BU can't recruit" noise until this plays out to the end. Recruiting behind the scenes has to be way different now than even a year ago.
Does it really matter? Recruits are still picking schools & lately it hasn't been us. By the time this is sorted (which is a ways away, IMO) if Underwood can't figure out the right combination of recruiting/scouting/coaching to get us winning he won't be here.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
So, BU's interview on the Wesleyan thread speaks on recruiting. A couple of things caught my ear, I know a lot of it is likely spin.

1. Kids are being told by other teams that we had a Top 10 class last year (I like the class a lot, but Top 10?)
2. Some kids are choosing to wait til Spring. Which of our known targets are waiting until Spring?
3. When asked how close to having the team he wants, "Real Close" paraphrasing.

There is some truth to this, but you are generalizing too much. With Crystal Balls you might as well give it your best guess even if the kid doesn't know yet. So maybe Jerry knows a lot, maybe nothing, or likely something in between. Sure solid information often leaks out closer to the announcement and crystal balls change, kids also change there mind. Piper said on the radio he thinks it is between us and Gonzaga, but still no reason for him or the Gonzaga journalist not to take a guess on the crystal ball game...so I don't think that means squat. When Piper starts picking someone other than us, then I believe him. Also there is always a local bias on the predictions, it would be a lot more common for Gonzaga guy to be picking Gonzaga & Piper to be picking us. Personally, it still wouldn't surprise me for Texas A&M to pull this out of the bag like they did on Eli a few years ago, even if they are truly out of it today. I still hold out some hope because this seems to be mostly a quiet recruitment, but I wouldn't bet real money on our chances.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746094

D
So, BU's interview on the Wesleyan thread speaks on recruiting. A couple of things caught my ear, I know a lot of it is likely spin.

1. Kids are being told by other teams that we had a Top 10 class last year (I like the class a lot, but Top 10?)
2. Some kids are choosing to wait til Spring. Which of our known targets are waiting until Spring?

Haven’t had a chance to watch interview, but these remarks are a little concerning.

Does he not realize we as fans just watched 80% of our tops recruits committ elsewhere in the past 5 weeks and all to schools that probably had higher rated recruiting classes than UofI in 18’.

Does it really matter? Recruits are still picking schools & lately it hasn't been us. By the time this is sorted (which is a ways away, IMO) if Underwood can't figure out the right combination of recruiting/scouting/coaching to get us winning he won't be here.

I agree. Personally, I do not think that recruiting has changed that much. There seems to be a notion on Illini boards that "everyone cheats but us", yet we now believe that we have been more affected by the FBI investigation than anyone else? I don't get it.

Haven’t had a chance to watch interview, but these remarks are a little concerning.

Does he not realize we as fans just watched 80% of our tops recruits committ elsewhere in the past 5 weeks and all to schools that probably had higher rated recruiting classes than UofI in 18’.
Anyone have a link?
I wouldn't put much stock in any of this, if he truly believes this is the problem I probably would be worried, but I doubt he does.

Is our coach arrogant enough to think that it doesn't matter what level he recruits at that he will still coach them up and win in his system?

I think Jerry Meyer is pretty credible. I know for a fact that he attends many events and talks to coaches and recruits, but more importantly, he is at a leadership position with one of the biggest conglomerate recruiting networks. So he has access and input from the largest number of sources. That is a huge advantage, it does not mean that everyone of his picks is just his own opinion and source.

People are misinterpreting the picks as well. It is a marketing tool, but it does not necessarily mean that the recruit will end up there. It means that based on available information, that is where the analyst believes the recruit would end up IF the recruitment ended at the time the pick was made. Jerry Meyer obviously has an unfair advantage due to his network, but he is much better than others.

Clearly the problem with our recruiting is that we are too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.