Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind hearing no when we can hear a yes every now and then with players we actually want and prioritize as opposed to guys we have to take out of need. As for last year's class, it was pretty good overall but classes shouldn't be viewed in just that way. When we're looking at a class, we need to see if we were able to address key areas of need. Our satisfaction with this class should be primarily focused on frontcourt guys. If we're stuck with just sub 300 frontcourt players, it will be a D at best.

We got a 5, 4, two 3s and two 1s last year. Sounds to me liker that covers the whole floor. I view it as a top 25 class, as do most of the services. You and others can view it however you'd like.

We got a 5, 4, two 3s and two 1s last year. Sounds to me liker that covers the whole floor. I view it as a top 25 class, as do most of the services. You and others can view it however you'd like.

That doesn't meant that there are quality players at each of those positions. Just mentioning that we get a player at each position is meaningless.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that our class would be 31st as opposed to top 25 if we just included Ayo, Jones, and Griffin. That's great and all, but let's imagine if we landed a 2019 class that was an exact replica of Kane, Feliz, Bez, and Higgs. That class would have been 55th in the country using the 247 class calculator.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
That doesn't meant that there are quality players at each of those positions. Just mentioning that we get a player at each position is meaningless.

I posted a couple of weeks ago that our class would be 31st as opposed to top 25 if we just included Ayo, Jones, and Griffin. That's great and all, but let's imagine if we landed a 2019 class that was an exact replica of Kane, Feliz, Bez, and Higgs. That class would have been 55th in the country using the 247 class calculator.
31 + 55 < 25, is this part of the new math that I have heard so much about???;)

Let's keep imagining and guessing and suggesting.

It's a top 25 class. That's it.

We will have another top 25 class for next year.

And we will be a tournament team next year.

And I will continue drinking Orange Soda instead of Orange Kool-Aid.

Let's keep imagining and guessing and suggesting.

We can imagine Luther has one more year of college eligibility......
Luther.JPG

Correction. A class of Kane, Feliz, Bez, and Higgs would have put us at 73rd in 2018. The 55th was based on the current 2019 class.

If we want to continue to torture ourselves, the same 2018 class without Ayo would have put us at 48th. That's pretty sad for a 6 man class.

OK, so the 5 was rated top 100-125 before reclassifying, so check. One 3 was top 125, so check again. One PG was the top JUCO PG in the country and the other was basically a 5*, so double check, so that's 4 checks out of 5 and I'm thinking Giorgi and Griff will both be solid 4 year players too.

What's meningless is saying "That doesn't mean that there are quality players at each of this positions," and then never even mentioning what you thought of the players we signed. So yeah, it's a top 25 class, irrespective of the suppositions you make.

Awesome, so we’re getting Terrence Shannon then!

You need to read again: "It does not necessarily mean that the recruit will end up there. It means that based on available information, that is where the analyst believes the recruit would end up IF the recruitment ended at the time the pick was made. "

I am not saying he is not credible or he doesn't have connections I'm just saying I tend to follow the teams recruiting guys more because they are following 15-25 kids recruitment's and not 300+ recruitment's.

Meyer has been a lot more credible than Piper, including recruits that Illinois has been after. His network allows him to cross-validate information from a lot more sources. Piper covers Illinois, depends on the Illini fans and their subscriptions, and also gets his information primarily from the staff. Some of his picks help rally fan support for visits (e.g., Liddell, Oscar T, Shannon) which is something that the staff needs but can't do directly themselves. In exchange, they feed him some information. It is a two way street, understandable given the nature of his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.