Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This shows more of his all around game. Decent looking stroke and ball handling.

I would say that this video shows him more advanced than many of our other offer/recruits so far....including Shannon really. This kid can help, we might as well capitalize on the University diverse student population. Gonzaga has been doing this for years and we could only hope to be Gonzaga sooner than later.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
Interesting, def needs to add some mass but is basically a 6-8 guard, looks like he has some skills, plus athlete with good handles
Update: According to his HS, he’s now 6’10”. He definitely has some athleticism and a 7’+ wingspan to go along with some ball skills. For what it’s worth, most reports tout his athleticism and his shooting stroke. His lack of physical strength and inconsistent motor are what has been pointed out the most in terms of things to improve upon.

https://eurospects.com/?p=8796

Deleted member 29907

D
Update: According to his HS, he’s now 6’10”. He definitely has some athleticism and a 7’+ wingspan to go along with some ball skills. For what it’s worth, most reports tout his athleticism and his shooting stroke. His lack of physical strength and inconsistent motor are what has been pointed out the most in terms of things to improve upon.

https://eurospects.com/?p=8796
So, we're recruiting Chewy 2.0?

Deleted member 29907

D
The actor who now plays Chewie is anformer basketball player, so... maybe?
Spelled it wrong, but that was the intent my weak joke. :confused: And was from that general part of the globe.

Sitting around the VFW with some ole buddies, and wanted to pass something along. Chris Payton wants to play for the Illini. Not many kids have that thought now a days. Will he play here? I think so. It is really hard sometimes for a staff wanting so badly to get the right fits. This kid would be more of a year one must have. He is good enough and I honestly think he will surprise some people in college. He has the type of game that could translate into a nice role on a team like Illinois.

Sitting around the VFW with some ole buddies, and wanted to pass something along. Chris Payton wants to play for the Illini. Not many kids have that thought now a days. Will he play here? I think so. It is really hard sometimes for a staff wanting so badly to get the right fits. This kid would be more of a year one must have. He is good enough and I honestly think he will surprise some people in college. He has the type of game that could translate into a nice role on a team like Illinois.
Have you seen him play in person?

Yes, just like most European countries soccer is king and that they are very good at.....still..... there may be a Dunkin Dutchman like Rik Smits(ex-Pacer) out there somewhere
tenor.gif

Agree that we want people who want to be here, but I really wanted to be playing for the Illini, but I only played 2 years of HS basketball and am a 5'10" post player.

I know he is a potential d-1 player, but if the staff thinks he isn't good enough to be here, then oh well!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

FWLIW, I think Payton is a good Plan B recruit. Obviously, no performance guarantees, but I agree that he will surprise and be a contributor. One thing's for sure, we could a lot worse, IMO.

sacraig

The desert

I want to play for the Illini. Does that make me qualified?

Deleted member 746094

D
I want to play for the Illini. Does that make me qualified?

The difference is Payton is 6’7, 200lbs and athletic. Unless you are taller than BU then the schollie is yours!

Deleted member 746094

D
Have you seen him play in person?

I have only watched highlights on the news and that was against Okoro. He looked the part, but obviously BU and many on this board don’t see it.

What is he lacking that doesn’t translate into a B10 SF/PF? Asking as I don’t know enough about him.

I have only watched highlights on the news and that was against Okoro. He looked the part, but obviously BU and many on this board don’t see it.

What is he lacking that doesn’t translate into a B10 SF/PF? Asking as I don’t know enough about him.

Highlights do not tell the entire story. I remember this board going gaga over Josh Sharma (see below) as next big thing in college basketball based on his tape (ended up at Stanford), but so far in 3 years in his career he has averaged 3ppg. You occasionally have some players who outplay their rankings in college, but there is definitely correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.