Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gap between a guy like Liddell and Payton is a lot less than you would think. I've seen him outplay some guys that were ranked a lot higher than him. Im not sure his ceiling is very high, but would be surprised if he wasn't a solid B10 player.

Liddell does not have a chance to be just solid, he has star potential at the next level. Payton may end up serviceable but the current gap with Liddell is quite significant. JMO.

sacraig

The desert
Liddell does not have a chance to be just solid, he has star potential at the next level. Payton may end up serviceable but the current gap with Liddell is quite significant. JMO.

You are fighting an uphill battle. The message-board blinders are already on and it won't be long until some around here have convinced themselves that Payton is a real hidden gem with potential to be the next Larry Bird.

Just watched the Payton video. I'm convinced he is a real hidden gem and in the right system could be the next Larry Bird.

giphy.gif

You are fighting an uphill battle. The message-board blinders are already on and it won't be long until some around here have convinced themselves that Payton is a real hidden gem with potential to be the next Larry Bird.

But slightly less athletic.

sacraig

The desert
Just watched the Payton video. I'm convinced he is a real hidden gem and in the right system could be the next Larry Bird.

I just legitimately laughed out loud. I am glad my office door is closed. Thank you for that.

I can’t get enough of some of the stuff i see on this board. It’s a good crack. Don’t go changing, IL board!
In all seriousness, from seeing Payton and Liddell both in action a few times i just don’t think they compare at all.
Liddell just dominates his position, and he plays with such aggressive confidence.
Payton shows flashes of talent, but also gets lost out on the court. He doesn’t have the alpha dog mentality Liddell does.
We all know that nothing is absolute when you see players acend from the hs ranks to college, but usually you get what you pay for.

Definitely, a real diamond in the rough. Perhaps a combination of Bird and Magic.

You had me until you said those last few words.

IllFanInMi

I
I can’t get enough of some of the stuff i see on this board. It’s a good crack. Don’t go changing, IL board!
In all seriousness, from seeing Payton and Liddell both in action a few times i just don’t think they compare at all.
Liddell just dominates his position, and he plays with such aggressive confidence.
Payton shows flashes of talent, but also gets lost out on the court. He doesn’t have the alpha dog mentality Liddell does.
We all know that nothing is absolute when you see players acend from the hs ranks to college, but usually you get what you pay for.

Precisely! Often times it’s sadly the guys who constantly run in 4th gear and play with extreme confidence who leave others who have similar skill sets behind. I’ve never seen a recruiting video where a guy doesn’t look like the next MJ and it’s very easy to fall in love with guys based on their videos. Coaches evaluate entire games live, or on tape, they talk to others and find out about each and every pimple. It doesn’t take much to turn a guy into a less thought of player. The epitome of real world!

Precisely! Often times it’s sadly the guys who constantly run in 4th gear and play with extreme confidence who leave others who have similar skill sets behind. I’ve never seen a recruiting video where a guy doesn’t look like the next MJ and it’s very easy to fall in love with guys based on their videos. Coaches evaluate entire games live, or on tape, they talk to others and find out about each and every pimple. It doesn’t take much to turn a guy into a less thought of player. The epitome of real world!

I watched one of his recruiting videos. He never missed a shot! It was unreal!

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
The best barometer for talent we have is the AAU circuit, and from all the info I can gather, Payton just hasn't held his own at that level. He's certainly not on the same level as prospects like Liddell or Okoro. Does that mean he can't be a good college player? Of course not, but it's far less of a sure thing. We can't fall into the fallacy of "Well, player X wasn't a big recruit, and look how good he turned out to be!" There's a reason Payton is so getable.

sacraig

The desert
Can't fall into it?

Brother, we have built an entire civilization at the bottom of that hole. Trey Burke is our totem.

I don't know. Is Burke our totem or is Kaminsky? Or Happ? Bonus points if it was a player from Illinois that we didn't recruit who strikes gold.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Just heard that Ara Bica is in the house and expecting plenty of Dunkin... Donuts after the game...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.