Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our biggest need is the big position. A core of Giorgi, Samba, Higgs, and January could make us competitive with most of the BIG. It allows us to reach for the stars with Kofi, who even if you land this type of player they are looking to stay for 1-2 years. So you need the types I just mentioned above.

I feel like I'm a good talent evaluator(35 years of being hooked on NCAABB), just not sold on Timme as much as others. I think Kofi, Tswibe, Okofor are several deviations to the right of Timme. That being said Timme, like Giorgi are a good fit for BU's offense. My biggest whiff on talent evaluation was Julian Wright, and I saw him live. Seemed to lack many fundamentals especially shooting. He handled the ball well for a 6-8 player but his passes never seemed to have the right touch.
I saw Timme play AAU this summer & I wasnt impressed on him either. That said, take him in a heartbeat.

January would be quite a surprise at this point. We only offered him 2 weeks ago (10/28) and prior to that, he released a top 9 which didn't include Illinois.

Maybe the Tevian connection is enough for him to want to come. I like that notion given that everyone had been so negative about players transferring out after last season and it shows that Tevian is enjoying his time at UI at this point. Portends good things for the program moving forward, IMO.

I'm glad you aren't the coach. We have enough project bigs. Signing more when our top targets are still on the board and taking our calls would be criminal. If our destiny is more projects bigs, I'd rather sign them in the spring after we've exhausted our top targets after having made a (hopefully) stronger case to them by overachieving this season.

Actually I think most realistic people are glad you aren't. If you think we can and should slow-ball a top-150 center with decent tape - you're out of your mind. We aren't a program in a place that can do something like that and not regret it later.

Having now watched countless minutes (if you can't count past one) of January's tapes, I would take him. Really good frame, some bad habits with the ball, but nothing that doesn't look coachable. Clearly needs some more work, but all but 1 or 2 6'10" guys a year need work.

the national

the Front Range
January would be quite a surprise at this point. We only offered him 2 weeks ago (10/28) and prior to that, he released a top 9 which didn't include Illinois.

Maybe the Tevian connection is enough for him to want to come. I like that notion given that everyone had been so negative about players transferring out after last season and it shows that Tevian is enjoying his time at UI at this point. Portends good things for the program moving forward, IMO.
Sometimes these things go fast. If January wasn’t finding what he was looking for and talked to Tev, It can be as simple as Tev saying ‘Hey coach, I know a guy you should talk to..’. Personally, I prefer that sort of recruiting. I trust people’s relationships more than rumors and star ratings. Doesn’t always work but it can go a long way of rebuilding a program. Fred Hoiberg did this at Iowa state, which is what started the transfer and Juco train for him.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
What's most impressive about Gonzaga is how they have slogged it through that West Coast Conference every year to make the tournament.

frank-sideeye-009.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.gif

Actually I think most realistic people are glad you aren't. If you think we can and should slow-ball a top-150 center with decent tape - you're out of your mind. We aren't a program in a place that can do something like that and not regret it later.
To be fair I dont think hes talking about January there. Seems like he was referring to Payton. Which I agree with him then.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Big, long, physical kid. Does the dirty work. No evidence here of any real offensive game at this point.

Reminds me of Eboigbodin, who I wish we still had.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
January seems like less of a project, although most bigs are a bit of that. Getting January certainly doesn’t keep you from working on Kofi for the spring. Then there’s Shannon...Has he added more schools lately? Kansas? Kentucky? Duke? If you can list them without getting an offer, then I’m still considering Jessica Beal for a possible date.

Having now watched countless minutes (if you can't count past one) of January's tapes, I would take him. Really good frame, some bad habits with the ball, but nothing that doesn't look coachable. Clearly needs some more work, but all but 1 or 2 6'10" guys a year need work.
You can’t teach size and Illinois needs It desperately. A big guy to protect the rim and get easy baskets (when he learns to set a post). I’d take him in a second.

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
This board has been a fun read for the last year (minus the last few weeks due to the world coming to an end). Starting following during the Mark Smith recruitment saga last year, and have been addicted (aka spend way too much time reading this).

Not going to lie, but I think we have better odds as long as January does not visit our campus. Something tells me our track record is not too good with those OV's lately. ;)

Also, for what it's worth, Kathy and I share a very common interest in always being optimistic about the teams. Like every year, stoked and hopeful. Hope they prove me (and Kathy) right this year. Go Illini! Wouldn't it be awesome to get January tomorrow!

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If Antwan wants to come we will take him in a heartbeat. He would be the highest ranked high school center recruit we'd have had since...Egwu? Yeah. Mav was close but just outside the Top 150. He seems more ready than was based off the vids, too, at least defensively. He'd be a great get.

Deleted member 746167

D
Isn’t Timme supposed to commit on the 14th? Are we out on him or does the consensus think we still have shot? Sorry, I have been away for a few days...

Status
Not open for further replies.