Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Greg Odenish?

Cockburn ain't Greg Oden. Oden was bigger, more athletic, and singularly fluid for a guy of that size.

And even Oden wouldn't be as prized of a jewel today. DeAndre Ayton is Greg Oden except he can also switch defensively and stay in front of smaller players, put the ball on the floor and even shoot a little.

America has gotten up to European standards in training big kids to be complete basketball players from a young age, and the result is some seriously amazing players.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If the Cal left he'd be able to get out of his LOI anyway, so don't think that's a factor.

Maybe so. But he'd have to beg and get approvals and waivers and deal with paperwork and Kentucky yanking his chain and it would take awhile, etc.

If he signs no LOI he can just show up in Lawrence (or Champaign!) on enrollment day and he's good to go.

And what does the LOI do for him? He's got a place in the class there or anywhere else regardless. He could tear an ACL or whatever, wouldn't matter. If he loses his leg in a tragic smelting accident, I dunno, you're missing out on one year of room and board? Wouldn't UK probably do right by him anyway?

Deleted member 633632

D
Maybe so. But he'd have to beg and get approvals and waivers and deal with paperwork and Kentucky yanking his chain and it would take awhile, etc.

If he signs no LOI he can just show up in Lawrence (or Champaign!) on enrollment day and he's good to go.

And what does the LOI do for him? He's got a place in the class there or anywhere else regardless. He could tear an ACL or whatever, wouldn't matter. If he loses his leg in a tragic smelting accident, I dunno, you're missing out on one year of room and board? Wouldn't UK probably do right by him anyway?

When is this high school to G League thing supposed to be starting? Maybe he's keeping his options open to be one of the 5-10 players who get 250K to play in the G League for a year?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
When is this high school to G League thing supposed to be starting? Maybe he's keeping his options open to be one of the 5-10 players who get 250K to play in the G League for a year?

Pretty sure that's available right now if he's interested. I doubt both that or any wavering on UK in general. He seems very excited by that opportunity and good for him.

And good for Calipari for (presumably) not pressuring the kid into sacrificing his leverage for no reason.

Has there been a time given for the Journey commitment? Hopefully to U of I.

#87 on 247. That wouldn’t be fringe on their site.

His composite rating has him as a 3*. That's why I said fringe 4*. Not that it's that important but he is the highest rated 3* on 247 composite, 0.005 points from the next guy up who's a 4*

IllFanInMi

I
I don’t know about Journey, but Steve Perry would be a huge get, with that hair he probably plays like Sampson, Ralph that is.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
We just have to break those recruiting chains that bind us.

SmallFlawlessArrowcrab-size_restricted.gif

January is coming. Will be a nice consolation for Drew Timme going to Gonzaga. Likely staff has been informed about Timme and made the offer committable to January.

Status
Not open for further replies.