Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody able to give a definitive timeline about the schools January attended?

Taft in Woodland Hills, CA
Homestead High School Mequon, WI?
Hillcrest Prep Phoenix, AZ

One LA Times article suggests he left Taft in March last year before the school year even ended? Obviously Hillcrest Prep (Kyree Walker, Ayton, Bagley, etc) in Phoenix is a well known basketball factory/pseuso high school.

Are there any clearinghouse/qualifying worries?

Put me in the concerned clearinghouse column. BTW, Hillcrest Prep is sponsored by Nike and has had visits from the NCAA a couple of times regarding certification.

Honestly, I have to disagree. They have to go for anyone that they want that shows interest back. They have to invest the time, money, etc. And yesterday, they showed that they have a back up plan that worked!
This is Illinois’ reality. Grab a high level recruit when possible and sell second tier guys. I think they’re close

So what's with Shannon now? His recruitment sure has been quiet lately, plus Evans and Sturdy are now apparently thinking he recommits to DePaul.

Found this interesting profile scouting report on our very own Antwan January from 2017 it appears....look at comparision at the bottom.....Hmmm we will see!

https://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/antwan-january-pf-2018

Another tidbit....from when he was a sophomore-

http://aztecmesa.proboards.com/thread/53720/610-antwan-january-mbb-19

We are looking very athletic next year and after...if you look at the grid, you can actually tell the players that BU is after and getting to form team around his style.

Last edited:
We are looking very athletic next year and after...if you look at the grid, you can actually tell the players that BU is after and getting to form team around his style.
Just look at how he runs his team. Imagine having 5 freak athletes out there. That's a scary situation. Motor is such an underrated trait, I think by going after winning players he's also trying to get that.

You have 5 plus athletes who hustle on every play, and good things will happen on the court. If we aren't getting top 50 talent, then we need BU to get the most out of his players, which has almost literally not happened in a decade here. The talent has been here to have consistent top 25 (or at the very least borderline) teams. It's some combination of chemistry and coaching that's prevented tournament apps.

It's so frustrating watching a loss like last nights, but that was such an entertaining game. If those are the kind of guys he's going to recruit, I'm in.

So what's with Shannon now? His recruitment sure has been quiet lately, plus Evans and Sturdy are now apparently thinking he recommits to DePaul.

He's going to wait it out. Not signing this period. Chin is on him.

Mom likes Orange and Blue.

UNC is showing interest, no offer yet though. They will see him plenty, since he is at IMG with Armando Bacot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 643761

D
Obviously, you'd love to have top 50 guys, but January is a great pick up. We're getting the bodies we need to survive but still need some better talent to thrive.

I like the January pickup. Hopefully he won’t have to contribute heavily as a freshman, because he needs time to develop.

Everyb
Possibly, I know Chin has been trying to get a relationship going with them.

BU and staff really like Kyree Walker.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyree-Walker-46036041/

Everybody almost like Kyree Walker, he just decommitted from ASU...gonna play the drawn out recruitment now! Expected not to go to Arizona though. He will be trying to parlay the offers he has now into much bigger ones, and don't think his Dad may not be moving either...example (Porter)!

Last edited:
Apologize in advance if I missed it. Did January sign? Is he expected to soon?

Go Illini

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
giphy (18).gif

I went to art school with coach Underwood and he is a great painter...I think the blank canvas he inherited at UI allows him to be creative and paint his masterpiece.....

Just gotta give him time to put the finishing brushstrokes and .....WOW !!!

Anyone know what is up with Whitney not signing today. Is he not signing for the entire period? That would be more telling that him just not signing today... Anything?!?!

Anyone know what is up with Whitney not signing today. Is he not signing for the entire period? That would be more telling that him just not signing today... Anything?!?!
I thought I read somewhere that it was due to him being at school and his family being in Chicago.

Just curious. I know we all love watching the games. However, is there a part of us that likes the build up of what might be that is even more intriguing than what actually is? Comparing it to baseball, I love the regular season and postseason but the off season is also just as fun. Thoughts?

Just curious. I know we all love watching the games. However, is there a part of us that likes the build up of what might be that is even more intriguing than what actually is? Comparing it to baseball, I love the regular season and postseason but the off season is also just as fun. Thoughts?

Off season is fun if recruiting is going well and/or the team is expected to do very well in the upcoming season. None of those two are happening.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
January is a top 100 kid. From the handful of highlight clips on YouTube, he can move and has good footwork and a decent handle for a big. Gio 2.0. :illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois::illinois:

He fits BU's system perfectly. Not getting Timme or Liddell or Tshiebwe (or Cockburn or whichever other big) is not a big blow to our ability to get better now. We are set for the future.
Hard to speak in absolutes when he has yet to play a minute of college basketball. I’ve said it many times before, but ranking does not automatically mean you are getting a good player especially when it comes to bigs. If you’re looking for examples here are a few: Cheick Diallo, Skal Labissere, Daniel Orton, Marques Bolden, Wally Judge, etc.

Additionally, I think we’re still in a position as a program where we still need multiple good pieces rather than one good player.

sacraig

The desert

No. I think our on-court product just hasn't been compelling for a long time, so people get even more into recruit than usual because they're grasping at anything that let's them feel like we are on our way back. In an ordinary situation, the season handily trumps recruiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.