Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you really suggesting that because "none of them were the #1 recruit at their position" they weren't plan A?

Plan A to me is someone who you offer early and whose commitment you'd accept. That certainly was Augie. Roger as well, although there's a caveat with Kruger who made offers early to guys who shouldn't have been suiting up for us. Luther was a late get by Self as he walked in the door, so a Plan A but one in the Spring.

Augie committed in July of 2003. Are you saying that the other bigger fish had already committed to other programs so Self had to move on? That certainly wasn't my recollection.
As I said, it depends on your definition of Plan A. To some, those are the first guys listed at their position, at the top of the white board. Some think it is any of the first 3-5 guys listed at their position. While others think it anyone that you offer and they commit prior to the Fall Signing Period. To me I think the first 2-3 guys at each position on your white board are Plan A guys. Then the next 2-3 guys are Plan B and everyone is Plan C after that. That is just my interpretation.

In regards to Augie, I remember that recruiting period pretty well. It started in Self's first year at Illinois and ended in his second year. Class ended up being Dee, Augie, Deron, Kyle Wilson and Aaron Spears. The spots they had to fill were Lucas Johnson (6'8"), Robert Archibald (6'11"), Damir Krupaliga (6'9"), Cory Bradford (6'3") and Frank Williams (6'3"). I remember him recruiting Dee Brown, Sheldon Williams, Ike Diogu, Deron Williams, Michael Thompson, Kelenna Azubuike, Sean Dockery, Andre Iguodala, Bracey Wright, Daniel Horton (all 4 stars or higher). Self and Gillespie had a lot of contacts in Texas & Oklahoma and we spent a lot of time and resources recruiting players from that area iirc. I don't think things got real serious about James until June/July of 2001 and he committed in August of 2001. I definitely think he was in the top 3-4 at his position on Self's white board that year. He wanted James a forward, but he ended up playing center out of necessity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 643761

D
As I said, it depends on your definition of Plan A. To some, those are the first guys listed at their position, at the top of the white board. Some think it is any of the first 3-5 guys listed at their position. While others think it anyone that you offer and they commit prior to the Fall Signing Period. To me I think the first 2-3 guys at each position on your white board are Plan A guys. Then the next 2-3 guys are Plan B and everyone is Plan C after that. That is just my interpretation.

In regards to Augie, I remember that recruiting period pretty well. It started in Self's first year at Illinois and ended in his second year. Class ended up being Dee, Augie, Deron, Kyle Wilson and Aaron Spears. The spots they had to fill were Lucas Johnson (6'8"), Robert Archibald (6'11"), Damir Krupaliga (6'9"), Cory Bradford (6'3") and Frank Williams (6'3"). I remember him recruiting Dee Brown, Sheldon Williams, Ike Diogu, Deron Williams, Michael Thompson, Kelenna Azubuike, Sean Dockery, Andre Iguodala, Bracey Wright, Daniel Horton (all 4 stars or higher). Self and Gillespie had a lot of contacts in Texas & Oklahoma and we spent a lot of time and resources recruiting players from that area iirc. I don't think things got real serious about James until June/July of 2001 and he committed in August of 2001. I definitely think he was in the top 3-4 at his position on Self's white board that year. He wanted James a forward, but he ended up playing center out of necessity.
I really can't believe anyone adheres to your definition of Plan A guys

Sorry. Just reread. Some would buy that definition but in any case augie was a plan a guy by that.

Well that is one worry we don't have to wonder about anymore, good luck to the kid, but honestly we need ALOT more help than he can give us...hopefully we can land that help along with January!

Spring is coming up, not sure what "late bloomer" we will be able to land that will help us substantially at that point. Especially since we are not or will not be the only Power 5 school with slots still open, I am sure the others can identify a late bloomer as well and steal him away?

Juco?
European?

Where do we go with our recruiting class, at least the next 1-2 classes anyway to rebound and get us back to relevance?

Remember it well, believe Ike Diogu was leaning Illini then switched. With Ike and Augie I think we are champs. Our guards were clearly better than UNC, we just couldn't match inside as well. Ike would of covered May better. Ike would of had greater team success at Illinois vs ASU during that time.

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
Knowing this board, we will continue hearing about him for the next 3 months if not the next 3 years.
The way things seem to go, we’ll play SIU next year and lose while he goes off for 30. Partially kidding...

Well if next years class remains the same: January 4*, Higgs 3* (redshirt possibility) and Kane 3* (redshirt possibility), then we already have the 6-7 ranked B1G team class....on our way back, imagine where 2 more 3-4* players would put us in the rankings?

Seriously though, I would love to have a class of January, Shannon, and the kid Henry as a flyer with the possibility to get a Kofi or another high profile athlete.

Last edited:
Ive watched every video i could find on Tristan Enaruna, and i really like him.
- shot looks good
- ball-handling is impressive
- his shot off the dribble is nice
- he appears to be ambidextrous, loves to go left and loves finishing left handed.
- athletic
- good height, long arms

Status
Not open for further replies.