Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I've always wondered what the "it" factor is that some coaches have allowing them to lock up big time talent. It's not all $$ and the sell can't be that much different.

Very hard to say. WRT to IU, despite fading from blue blood status, they're still an elite program (status-wise). A significant portion of Indiana residents still hold IU in reverence. All things considered, that's a good thing. But, yeah, Miller's rolling.

Very hard to say. WRT to IU, despite fading from blue blood status, they're still an elite program (status-wise). A significant portion of Indiana residents still hold IU in reverence. All things considered, that's a good thing. But, yeah, Miller's rolling.

Archie Miller is a great recruiter, and I am just not saying it now, I have said the same before he got rolling at IU. He is tight and has a lot of connections in the AAU (and HS) coaching circles. It also helps when your brother is also a great recruiter, partially sharing the same network.

Kofi other options have B1G's already on board as well, with OA the lead on this I actually like our chances here...Kofi, January, Shannon possibly? Throw a flyer out for the Juco big guard/wing and see what happens next year?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Lot's of stuff brewing today.

tenor.gif

Can we please please please recruit this kid.....I mean hell why not, he is hungry, he wants to get better, he wants to get to the NBA, he wants to play defense...he is long, he has a long wingspan, he is an athlete who gets to the rim, and he considers himself positionless...

https://www.facebook.com/GiveMeSport/videos/the-10-behind-the-scenes/1776473635733173/

Can someone get this kids name to the coaching staff for crying out loud, what do we have to lose?

https://www.givemesport.com/1233578...alla-has-one-thing-in-mind-playing-in-the-nba

Last edited:
Top-50 junior DJ Steward discusses recruitment, schools on him the hardest.

This summer 2020 four-star DJ Steward announced he’d transfer from Fenwick High to Whitney Young, a move that would affect the entire state. Last night Steward faced off with Mater Dai, one of the top team’s on the West Coast. It was the debut for Steward on the big stage, with over 5 coaches on hand for him he didn’t disappoint. Steward dropped 25 points and helped Whitney Young get the win.

After his matchup with Mater Dai, Steward took time to discuss the latest in his recruitment and which schools are on him the hardest....

Next, Steward said once he begins taking visits the first two schools he’d like to get to are Louisville and Illinois.

Is there a 5'8" 300 lb forward available from Wyoming. I think we can get someone like that

Is there a 5'8" 300 lb forward available from Wyoming. I think we can get someone like that

May head to Wyoming for Christmas, I will give a look around town. But no promises, our brand isn't what it used to be in Central Illinois

Wyoming, IL

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I think the point of that post was that Kofi was also looking hard at UCONN. The Huskies signing a guy with a similar profile may help push him our way.

You are absolutely right. If the dominos keep falling favorably, it could indeed push Kofi to Illinois. When January's name surfaced, I threw out a prediction that our 2019 class would most likely consist of January, Shannon, one of Timme / Kofi, and, if BU and Co decided to go with a four-man class, a Spring signing or late bloomer. Timme is out, obvi, but that is what made the most sense at the time.

Fast forward to December 4th, and I still feel that this prediction is not unreasonable. That said, while Shannon is and should remain a very important recruit, both as a player and a "political piece" in maintaining our CPL connections/ presence, bringing in a two-man class of January and Cockburn will yield a more balanced and talented team that is well-positioned and leveraged to start year three of BU's tenure as a fringe Top-25 with an identity that has not yet coalesced. This, in turn, will hopefully allow for the continued growth, exposure, and the rebuild to national relevance that we all very much want.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
You are absolutely right. If the dominos keep falling favorably, it could indeed push Kofi to Illinois. When January's name surfaced, I threw out a prediction that our 2019 class would most likely consist of January, Shannon, one of Timme / Kofi, and, if BU and Co decided to go with a four-man class, a Spring signing or late bloomer. Timme is out, obvi, but that is what made the most sense at the time.

Fast forward to January 4th, and I still feel that this prediction is not unreasonable. That said, while Shannon is and should remain a very important recruit, both as a player and a "political piece" in maintaining our CPL connections/ presence, bringing in a two-man class of January and Cockburn will yield a more balanced and talented team that is well-positioned and leveraged to start year three of BU's tenure as a fringe Top-25 with an identity that has not yet coalesced. This, in turn, will hopefully allow for the continued growth, exposure, and the rebuild to national relevance that we all very much want.
Tell me more about the future. Do we have flying cars in 2019?

Status
Not open for further replies.