Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (November-December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,052      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Interesting. The entire article was about attendance at games so from reading it you would have no idea whether they were taking advantage of that "technology or device". My take is that they probably have been but putting that in the article would have dulled the hatchet.

Occam's Razor suggests that the primary reason for half of the CPL publicly venting to the Sun-Times about IL not keeping in touch with them and their players is that we haven't done a good enough job of keeping in touch with them and their players.

You think we actually bent over backwards to communicate the challenges of our schedule to all of these coaches and then all of them, to a man, decided to omit that hugely pertinent fact when talking to O'Brien? You do you, I guess.

#1,053      

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
So this means if the staff really ramps it up and starts recruiting Chicago hard, they'll land all the players they want, right? Yeah, right.

#1,054      

Bailey

Los Angeles
Let's assume some patching actually needs doing (it's not actually clear to me this is factual rather than speculation). What, other than time, would help that situation?

The denial regarding this situation is maddening.

#1,055      

Deleted member 16068

D
We are a bad basketball program right now, it's easy to pile on.
losing brings negative rhetoric........winning brings positivity.
Chicago Bears are a perfect example. Start winning games and perceptions change.
We make this way more complicated then it needs to be.

#1,056      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Lol they want Illinois to put in all the work but will never help Illinois land the big fish.

To be fair, why would most Chicago area coaches want to do this with their "big fish"? History and reputation is huge. A coach is going to look a lot better if he gets a kid to Duke, Kentucky, KU, etc... as opposed to Illinois. Like we all keep saying, if/when we start to become relevant again, then it may become a little more "cool" to send players to a winning program that has a history of getting players to the NBA. Not saying it can't be done, or hasn't been done at Illinois. But we obviously have to fix the current product before too many coaches will really want to push their stud players to us. The time is coming. We are still just digging out of the basement at the moment.

#1,058      

I Bomb

Stylin' and Profilin'
To be fair, why would most Chicago area coaches want to do this with their "big fish"? History and reputation is huge. A coach is going to look a lot better if he gets a kid to Duke, Kentucky, KU, etc... as opposed to Illinois. Like we all keep saying, if/when we start to become relevant again, then it may become a little more "cool" to send players to a winning program that has a history of getting players to the NBA. Not saying it can't be done, or hasn't been done at Illinois. But we obviously have to fix the current product before too many coaches will really want to push their stud players to us. The time is coming. We are still just digging out of the basement at the moment.

Further than that, I can't imagine there could be anyone still out there, after this year's headlines on NCAA recruiting, who doesn't understand exactly how the process of 'steering' big fish works.

#1,059      
This topic will never end. Even if/when IL starts winning, Chicago will be Chicago. You see, there is this "Blue school" escape card. IF a kid selects another school, the logic will be "they are better" (at whatever).

Having said that BU needs to develop a product (sorry Lovie) that is high level and consistent.

I think we will get there. Not sure if "Chicago" will follow. BWC.

#1,060      
Recruiting in your state is way more overrated than it used to be. Resource wise sure, driving a couple hours to see a local kid is much easier than flying to cali or something similar, but from a recruits perspective, getting information on UIUC is a billion times easier than it was even 25 years ago. I don't know a ton about ASU, but I could learn pretty much everything I would want to know in an hour of snooping online. In the early 90s, that just isn't happening. Recruit kids you want, not kids close to you.

Also, I'm on the boat of when exactly BU was supposed to visit CPS games in the past few weeks. Between Hawaii and such, his schedules gotta be tight. Sure he probably could've/should've seen some games, but seriously when?

#1,061      

Deleted member 643761

D
Occam's Razor suggests that the primary reason for half of the CPL publicly venting to the Sun-Times about IL not keeping in touch with them and their players is that we haven't done a good enough job of keeping in touch with them and their players.

You think we actually bent over backwards to communicate the challenges of our schedule to all of these coaches and then all of them, to a man, decided to omit that hugely pertinent fact when talking to O'Brien? You do you, I guess.
Occams razor says if we hadn't called that fact would have been in the article.

#1,062      
People act like screw Chicago because they don’t give us their best players (current 5* from Chicago on our roster notwithstanding), but then we whiffed recently on every non-Chicago star from Illinois (KBD, Okoro, Liddell) also. So should we stop recruiting Illinois? Is that the plan?

#1,065      
I don't care where we get top 100 players. I used to want them to be all from Illinois ala the Flying Illini. However, we can't ignore Chicagoland because even the second tier guys are better than what we are getting. Don't know how this gets fixed.

#1,067      
People act like screw Chicago because they don’t give us their best players (current 5* from Chicago on our roster notwithstanding), but then we whiffed recently on every non-Chicago star from Illinois (KBD, Okoro, Liddell) also. So should we stop recruiting Illinois? Is that the plan?

Nope.

If that article did not appear, we would be at peace talking about some useless things.

#1,068      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Further than that, I can't imagine there could be anyone still out there, after this year's headlines on NCAA recruiting, who doesn't understand exactly how the process of 'steering' big fish works.

I work for adidas. No comment. :censored:

#1,069      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Schrodinger’s cat says our Chicago recruiting isn’t dead if we don’t click on the link to that article.

But Planck's Constant says that the frequency of our appearance at CPS games is in fact an indicator of how much energy we're putting into recruiting.

Sorry. That was one nerd step too far...

#1,071      
I'm still waiting for the article that goes something like this...

"Except for an all too brief stretch in the 1980s, Chicago coaches, players and media have consistently snubbed Illinois basketball, while holding them to a maddeningly inscrutable standard of recruiting performance..."

#1,075      

Courier

C
I'm running a restaurant nobody really wants to eat at anymore. A food critic stops by to interview some old customers. They say the food is bad and they haven't seen me for months. The first thing I'm doing is attacking the critic and the publication, not trying to improve the product.

Oh, I'm absolutely not reaching out to those customers. They weren't buying the good stuff anyway. Don't need em.

Status
Not open for further replies.