Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,478      

IllFanInMi

I
I'm feeling a poke in the Ayo, followed by a testicle head testicle punch (good old fashioned THT). Sorry, it's just much easier to not get upset when you don't expect something good to happen.

#2,479      
Sadly that was the type of thing being peddled here recently, so it's easy to understand the confusion. Hoping for the best with Ayo, and gotta give THT all we got! There is still a chance as long as he's listening.

IF we don't land AYO sure it would be a rough one, but the thing about this staff compared to some we have had, is they seem to have back ups, for backup, to back ups, They just are going to keep looking. I think we will get AYO, and I think THT is about 50/50 after those 2, who ever the staff goes after im all for in 18, even if they only get AYO or for that matter THT, and turn their focus to 19 I will be ok with that too

#2,480      
Today sure has been fun Illini. If Ayo has done anything he has at least caught the interest of two schools' basketball fans. The longer this stretches out away from his official the better I'll feel as a Wake fan.

The second thing we have. It's figured out is how to manipulate single comments into representations of the fan base. Kudos to both of us for representing the other as arrogant, mindless, pathetic losers.

#thisbudsforyouloser

These Wake Forest guys are so out of touch!

Dude! It's freakin' Monday! It's whiskey drinking time.

#2,481      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Today sure has been fun Illini. If Ayo has done anything he has at least caught the interest of two schools' basketball fans. The longer this stretches out away from his official the better I'll feel as a Wake fan.

The second thing we have. It's figured out is how to manipulate single comments into representations of the fan base. Kudos to both of us for representing the other as arrogant, mindless, pathetic losers.

#thisbudsforyouloser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I actually read the majority of that thread, and if you're suggesting that it is comparable to this thread in it's content, comments, and it's cast of characters....well....you are not reasonable or rational.

#2,482      
IF we don't land AYO sure it would be a rough one, but the thing about this staff compared to some we have had, is they seem to have back ups, for backup, to back ups, They just are going to keep looking.

Every coaching staff had had backups, just that the backups were not at the quality and level that they should be. You need to land quality recruits at positions, not just recruits. There will always be recruits who will accept an Illinois scholarship and have been for the last 12 years as well. It is the quality that will differentiate coaching staffs.

#2,483      

#thisbudsforyouloser

While many passionate fan bases are similar under comparable circumstances, that does not mean that the underlying recruitments are 50-50 or a coin toss though.

#2,484      
I am hearing thursday according to ryan.. also just left my god son's party. He says the buzz around school is something is happening THIS WEEK

#2,488      
IF we don't land AYO sure it would be a rough one, but the thing about this staff compared to some we have had, is they seem to have back ups, for backup, to back ups, They just are going to keep looking. I think we will get AYO, and I think THT is about 50/50 after those 2, who ever the staff goes after im all for in 18, even if they only get AYO or for that matter THT, and turn their focus to 19 I will be ok with that too

Hi guys. Don't post much because I live three miles from the pacific ocean on an avocado farm. Not much Illini tidbits to be had. I do lurk because I am a rabid Illini like most of you. My left coast "I really think Ayo is coming" does nothing for anybody that I can think of. I'd like to see less of that but, what I do like is when somebody who has friends of friends or is a donor with connections or a student who's buddy is a friend of Damonte or Finke tells what they heard. I think we need a formal system of emotocons to differentiate posts.

I suggest the following.

I don't have a network and really don't know anything but " I know Ayo is coming" :doh: (ME if I posted drivel)

I sold cars to the assitant coach and we have beers every once in a while "I hear Ayo is solid to the beloved":whoo:

I am a donor/ buddy with a DIA official and I hear whats floating around first through third hand. Maybe I'm somebody who knows a bakery employee.:gossip:

I'm a student and my bud is tight with _______. He says Ayo told the boys "we're good":rock:

I have a great feeling for this because I have trolled twitter, snapchat, and instagram and this is totally solid:hurl:

I have read my pay sites and I know more than you because I pay for guesses instead of just scrolling through them:smash:

And finally my favorite: I work at a barbershop in Chitown and lots of folks who ABSOLUTLY know stuff come and talk about Chicago recruiting. It is Gospel:tsk:

And which is better Papa Dels or Portillos?

#2,489      
Hi guys. Don't post much because I live three miles from the pacific ocean on an avocado farm. Not much Illini tidbits to be had. I do lurk because I am a rabid Illini like most of you. My left coast "I really think Ayo is coming" does nothing for anybody that I can think of. I'd like to see less of that but, what I do like is when somebody who has friends of friends or is a donor with connections or a student who's buddy is a friend of Damonte or Finke tells what they heard. I think we need a formal system of emotocons to differentiate posts.

I suggest the following.

I don't have a network and really don't know anything but " I know Ayo is coming" :doh: (ME if I posted drivel)

I sold cars to the assitant coach and we have beers every once in a while "I hear Ayo is solid to the beloved":whoo:

I am a donor/ buddy with a DIA official and I hear whats floating around first through third hand. Maybe I'm somebody who knows a bakery employee.:gossip:

I'm a student and my bud is tight with _______. He says Ayo told the boys "we're good":rock:

I have a great feeling for this because I have trolled twitter, snapchat, and instagram and this is totally solid:hurl:

I have read my pay sites and I know more than you because I pay for guesses instead of just scrolling through them:smash:

And finally my favorite: I work at a barbershop in Chitown and lots of folks who ABSOLUTLY know stuff come and talk about Chicago recruiting. It is Gospel:tsk:

if we did that we would rarely have anyone post

and I don't like either one to be honest

#2,490      
The suspense is absolutely killing me! I have told myself so many times that I'm not going to invest so much emotionally with recruiting after every single nutpunch we have taken as a fanbase. Thing is following recruiting is like an addiction that I can't put down. Hopefully we end up on the right side of this one. Fingers crossed!

#2,491      
Richmond was a bigger get. People are biased in retrospect because Jereme did not pan out and had multiple character and basketball issues for many years, but purely basketball-wise, Jereme was a bigger get.

But it's been a long time indeed, and Ayo's recruitment is different. It is a bigger potential negative than positive. If Illinois fails to land Ayo, it is not that Illinois will miss on yet another highly ranked recruit (we have missed on so many over the last 12 years). He is a recruit (independent of rankings) that current staff should not miss.

But it is all academic, I have very good reason to believe that Ayo will commit to Illinois. Ayo will be an Illini.

Obelix, why do you say this? Obviously you are aware that 5 stars out of Chicago are really unpredictable and tough to get. Plus, it's not like BU has been building up a great relationship over the past 2 or 3 years. I'm going to read between the lines and let me know if I'm right.

Ayo is the type of high level recruit Illinois can't miss on for 2 big reasons.

1) The stars magically aligned and somehow he wasn't recruited by the blue bloods. We kind of joke around and say "it's over" when a blue blood becomes interested in one of our recruits. But we all know it becomes much tougher when they come knocking on the door. We need to take advantage of these rare moments.

2.) Ayo's recruitment is well ran by the family. These days it's hard to find a high level Chicago recruit ran as honestly as Ayo's did. No handlers or outside forces pulling him different directions. Also something we need to take advantage of. Hopefully the FBI case will create more of these straight-forward recruitment's.

#2,492      
I brought this up 3 or 4 weeks ago and am surprised that more hasn't been made of it. Another article I read said that Ayo and his brother have been part of a huge support group of Grandparents, parents, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, neighbors, etc. Just can't see them making the trip to N.C. on a regular basis.
Great article on Ayo's Grandpa, Dale Moss, owner of Harlem Ambassador's.

https://pressreleasejet.com/news/pa...erracial-basketball-family-in-transition.html

Plus I've always like coach's sons and Ayo's Dad coaches.

Last edited:
#2,493      
Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread

Lord Varys' birds tell me we will know by the next quarter moons night fall

#2,494      
That buzz could have just been a bee. Those little buggers will sting you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It coulda been a bee.. just left a party miles away from the school.. a few athletes there.. forest green & orange jackets.. just saying what I'm hearing around town

#2,496      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm just going by Ayo's own words which are that he is having a tough time making this decision. He doesn't owe Wake anything so to me it isn't like he is going to feel like he lets us down if he chooses Illinois. I think he honestly likes both schools for different reasons and realizes he is going to have to make a decision soon.

We got in this game 4 months ago and rose to the final two. If we end up the bridesmaid we will wish him well and hope he has a great career whenever he isn't playing us :). I think most Wake fans are cautiously optimistic based upon his flurry of Social media activity towards Wake right after his official and the fact that he didn't set an immediate announcement.

Should know something from the sound of it in a week I guess.

This is the polar opposite of practically everything I read on your board.

#2,499      
Obelix, why do you say this? Obviously you are aware that 5 stars out of Chicago are really unpredictable and tough to get. Plus, it's not like BU has been building up a great relationship over the past 2 or 3 years. I'm going to read between the lines and let me know if I'm right.

Ayo is the type of high level recruit Illinois can't miss on for 2 big reasons.

1) The stars magically aligned and somehow he wasn't recruited by the blue bloods. We kind of joke around and say "it's over" when a blue blood becomes interested in one of our recruits. But we all know it becomes much tougher when they come knocking on the door. We need to take advantage of these rare moments.

2.) Ayo's recruitment is well ran by the family. These days it's hard to find a high level Chicago recruit ran as honestly as Ayo's did. No handlers or outside forces pulling him different directions. Also something we need to take advantage of. Hopefully the FBI case will create more of these straight-forward recruitment's.

In-state recruit who liked Illinois even under previous staff and has no negative prejudice against UI, with family very involved in recruitment (not exclusively), with UI assistant extremely close to recruit, family, and AAU coach, with Illinois steadily in the lead since day 1 with no wavering, with the strongest of blue bloods recruiting the state of Illinois (i.e., KU and UK) not being able to break through despite early interest, with Illinois going last on scheduled officials (down to 2 schools).

A recruit that UI should not miss on, rarely the stars align like that. If you can't close on a recruit like that, it is a huge black eye for your program.

... but as I said, I have good reason to believe (not logic or interpretation), that we will not miss on Ayo.

#2,500      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL

I suggest the following.

Nice post. :) Portillos for sure.

I hope the wildfires are staying away from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.