Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,526      
Don't know why but I just have this feeling he is picking WF. Regardless of the absolutes people post

It's the standard defensive mechanism kicking in when you are used to being kicked in the head.

#2,527      
Funny bye the way.. I told him if he gets me more info I'll take him to six flags.. lol

lol that for some reason made me spit coffee out my nose, and since I rarely drink coffee, thought it was worth a post

that said I would offer him something better like the money it would cost you to take him there lol might have more effect

#2,529      
Think of the last time you've been anywhere and seen a WF logo. I've been to LA, NO, NY, all throughout the Midwest, and abroad and seen the block I. I can't remember ever seeing a Wake logo.

There is one thing that ALL of us can do to help restore the brand, return our ILLINI to prominence and enhance recruiting for both athletics and academics: Wear the block I/orange and blue AT LEAST once a week and especially when you travel. I travel every week and I got so tired of seeing Michigan logos every where I went so I made a commitment to wear ILLINI gear at least once a week and you can't imagine how many people walked by in airports or on the streets of major cities and said "ILL . ." or "oskeewowwow" with a big smile on their face. DO YOUR PART and show your pride in wearing the orange and blue!!!

#2,530      
I didn't realize that Ayo came thru legendary Beasley Academic Center the same elementary school that produced DRose and other stars. He started at Westinghouse (not sure why there) but transferred to MP to play for Nick Irvin and also Mike Irvin's AAU team. This recruitment has some really long tentacles.

Westinghouse is now a selective enrollment school, like Whitney Young, though not at the same level. Maybe he started his hs career focusing on academics, then decided to do both school and basketball? I know he was highly rated as a sophomore, not sure before then, but I am guessing many on here remember.

No idea, not speculating, just offering one possible reason wrt Westinghouse.

Last edited:
#2,531      
I should have started off by saying he is not an insider.. he asked me why do i care.. lol.. it may be wednesday.. I hear announcement by thursday.. either way I hope it's good news.. boy do illini fans need it

Just playing with you RJ! I happen to be on the side of the fence that think think good news is coming. :D

#2,532      

jmilt7

Waukegan
The suspense is absolutely killing me! I have told myself so many times that I'm not going to invest so much emotionally with recruiting after every single nutpunch we have taken as a fanbase. Thing is following recruiting is like an addiction that I can't put down. Hopefully we end up on the right side of this one. Fingers crossed!

This.

Or like a traffic accident that you know you shouldn't gawk at but do anyway. But I like the "addiction" part better. And this is killing some time before the season starts.

#2,537      
If we don't get Ayo I'm done with recruiting. My heart can't take it. lol

If we don't get Ayo, we're not getting any high-level recruit, at least until we start winning. We have so many advantages in this Ayo recruitment and if we can't seal THIS DEAL, we're not sealing any of the high 4-star, 5-star variety.

If we don't get Ayo, this staff's ability to recruit will be HIGHLY questioned as well.....as it should be when Chin Coleman is so close with the family.

All that being said, I've always felt pretty confident about this one (knock on wood.....).

Last edited:
#2,538      
Mr. WhyNotMe‏ @AyoDos_11 29s29 seconds ago

10-19-17
7pm.

https://twitter.com/AyoDos_11/status/920290993580199936

Here. We. Go.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
#2,539      

Deleted member 631370

D
DUDE CHILL... everything actually is fine go to bed

I don't think there's any value in freaking out over Twitter posts or likes or follows or retweets or any of that garbage.

But man...."everything is fine, go to bed" is way, way, way, way too similar to "everything is fine, goodnight", which of course is the most infamous post in Illini message board history.

I assume that was intentional?

#2,540      

Deleted member 631370

D
If we don't get Ayo, we're not getting any high-level recruit, at least until we start winning. We have so many advantages in this Ayo recruitment and if we can't seal THIS DEAL, we're not sealing any of the high 4-star, 5-star variety.

If we don't get Ayo, this staff's ability to recruit will be HIGHLY questioned as well.....as it should be when Chin Coleman is so close with the family.

This is the most favorable scenario for a 5* recruit we've had in a long time. I think back to when Jon Scheyer was playing for Weber's brother in HS, and Illinois was coming off its legendary season. He would have been handed the keys from day 1 to keep the home state mojo going.

And he still went elsewhere.

But in that scenario, he apparently loved Duke, had that Chris Collins connection, and, well, Duke is Duke.

Losing Ayo to Wake Forest? That would be a bigger loss.

Still think we win this one, though. Don't think we get THT.

#2,542      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
The timing is good, will allow us to get Ayo on board and then throw our entire focus on THT for his visit. A class of Ayo + THT would still be dynamite. Would also help make us attractive for a big. Would also help with the '19 guys like Okoro and Liddell.

#2,543      

Deleted member 10676

D
In time to help bring THT on board too!

Just replicate last weekend this weekend and bring on the only 2 guys I've really wanted all summer. I'd be doing figurative back flips all over the place.
(Way too old to do them literally.):)

#2,544      

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
I am sure I will be let down, but isn't a Thursday night commitment a good thing for Illinois as opposed to an announcement next week?

#2,545      

peace davids

Colorado
This is the most favorable scenario for a 5* recruit we've had in a long time. I think back to when Jon Scheyer was playing for Weber's brother in HS, and Illinois was coming off its legendary season. He would have been handed the keys from day 1 to keep the home state mojo going.

And he still went elsewhere.

But in that scenario, he apparently loved Duke, had that Chris Collins connection, and, well, Duke is Duke.

That was such a strange scenario. I was close to the Bball program during that recruitment, and Weber and his brother went out of their way not to use those built-in advantages. They didn't want it to seem like they were doing anything underhanded or get accused of violations. Because of that, the advantages really became disadvantages.

Regardless, JS seemed like a Dukie from birth.

#2,546      
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't HC Illini say earlier in the week that the announcement would be on Thursday?

I take everything said by "insiders" on this board with a very large grain of salt, even from some of the more trusted "insiders" like HC, but if he did predict that it would be Thursday, that's either a really good guess, or it's a pretty good sign he might know something.

#2,548      
Were you here during the Eric Gordon recruitment?????

Not the thing to say to make Illini fans calm down......

Lol too young to post to this board 😂😂 but I remember it fondly 😂

I'm just saying that y'all are freaking out over nothing. Not you in particular just this board lol... remember to have fun today 😉

#2,549      
If we don't get Ayo, we're not getting any high-level recruit, at least until we start winning.

Every situation is different, but yeah, I agree with the sentiment, and this one looks great for us. Let's not forget Mark Smith has already committed, though, so that conclusion is already debunked.

Fortunately, we will start winning very soon, so we can tick off that box sooner rather than later.

Glad we won't be left hanging for the rest of the month, either way. Gonna be a lot of sad Illini bball fans if this goes against us. We'll have a stinging series of recruiting rejections going into a THT visit. OTOH, if this goes our way, the class is immediately solid, with a very high ceiling. Must....contain....excitement.....

Status
Not open for further replies.