Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,627      
That won't last long, though. IU will be the premier team in their state within 3 years, and they'll likely stay there. Archie is a really solid coach, and IU has the tradition and a whole lot of state loyalty to stock up on great Indiana recruits -- and recruit nationally.

I certainly agree that they are very, very clearly below Duke, Carolina, UK, UCLA, and Kansas on that blue blood list, and over the past 15 years, below the likes of Louisville, Michigan State, UConn, Arizona, and others. But just as Notre Dame football has huge potential with the right coach, I think IU can get back into that national conversation with the right guy. And Archie might be it.

If Archie doesn't win at Indiana, where does that leave IU 5 years from now? Do they get removed from that list altogether?

I had a post in another thread months ago admitting hiring Archie is without question a great move. He was a top 3 candidate, and arguably #1 depending on how you rank guys like Gregg Marshal.

I do think its questionable how he will translate to the BIG with a BIG schedule. For example, he's never played more than 2 ranked teams in a single season (not counting tournament). His Elite 8 run was Aaron Craft floater rolling in off the rim away from being knocked out first round. Outside that run his tournament resume isn't impressive. Great coach, I just don't think he's as proven as he's made out to be. I won't be surprised if Indiana remains middle of the pack B10.

#3,628      
If you can make the workout tomorrow please do! I was there last weekend for Ayo and it was great. But I did notice a lot of the people were from the football game. Need all that can come with no football game in town. A poor turnout could make for an awkward situation and break the visit. Be there and be loud.

Yeah if any of you guys are close tomorrow please go!

#3,629      

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
If Archie doesn't win at Indiana, where does that leave IU 5 years from now? Do they get removed from that list altogether?

I had a post in another thread months ago admitting hiring Archie is without question a great move. He was a top 3 candidate, and arguably #1 depending on how you rank guys like Gregg Marshal.

I do think its questionable how he will translate to the BIG with a BIG schedule. For example, he's never played more than 2 ranked teams in a single season (not counting tournament). His Elite 8 run was Aaron Craft floater rolling in off the rim away from being knocked out first round. Outside that run his tournament resume isn't impressive. Great coach, I just don't think he's as proven as he's made out to be. I won't be surprised if Indiana remains middle of the pack B10.

Recruiting shouldn't be an issue for Archie.
His brother has some great tips on how to get top talent to commit

#3,635      
THT's last official visit and he chose to make it to Illinois even after AYO committed so that should put to rest that he doesn't want to play with AYO.

With an 11 AM start time at Ubben, there is no excuse for the Orange Krush not to PACK the gym tomorrow with even more fans than AYO had. THAT would make a real statement to THT.

Orange Krush, its up to you!!! You want BIG TEN Championships and a Top Ten ranking, then getting THT to join AYO and the rest of this current roster would be a BIG STEP in that direction! Make it happen.

Not necessarily...recruits make visits to schools they know they aren't going to quite often. Rumored that mark smith's OSU visit was just to enjoy a visit (heard similar things about Ayo's USC visit)

Personally I agree that he is heavily considering joining AYO and won't have a problem playing with him, but I don't think the visit 100% PROVES that, but makes it more likely/feasible, sure

#3,638      

This sentiment is dead on IMO

#3,639      

Deleted member 10676

D
#3,640      

Deleted member 10676

D

I'm about as sure as I can be that Archie is going to win at Indiana.

#3,641      
Not necessarily...recruits make visits to schools they know they aren't going to quite often. Rumored that mark smith's OSU visit was just to enjoy a visit (heard similar things about Ayo's USC visit)

Personally I agree that he is heavily considering joining AYO and won't have a problem playing with him, but I don't think the visit 100% PROVES that, but makes it more likely/feasible, sure
"LAST" Official Visit is the key!!!

#3,642      

Deleted member 633632

D
Because? Are Ramey and EJ close? If so, why weren't they looking at similar schools before?

Ramey is pretty much the missing piece for Mizzou at this point.

& It's not that they are best friends or anything but they are "friends". But more importantly, Ramey is widely considered the best overall college prospect in that state and a player that will be the engineer of the high powered program that they're trying to sell. His commitment to them would shockwaves throughout their state, similar to what Ayo is doing for us now, except their recruiting is a little more established & further along than ours as of now...

#3,644      

Deleted member 633632

D
Not an end all and all, but not boding well for us in that it would even the playing field back a bit or tip the scale back MIZZOU's way, if Ramey were to committ.

I know we are homers over here, but everything I've heard outside this board is that MIZZOU is deemed ahead of us in the race for his services as of yesterday before 7pm..

#3,646      

Deleted member 646108

D
Hope Tim Finke doesn't turn into Brian Cardinal 2.0

Badgers Fan Base‏ @BadgersMBB
The Badgers are now talking to 2018 6'6 SG Tim Finke following Tyler Herro's unexpected de-commitment.
https://twitter.com/BadgersMBB/status/920800454077956096

I hope this doesn't turn out like Brian Cardinal where we let someone with a family connection to our program go to a Big Ten rival and have a great career. But he does seem like a Wisconsin type player. :(

#3,647      
Ramey is pretty much the missing piece for Mizzou at this point.

& It's not that they are best friends or anything but they are "friends". But more importantly, Ramey is widely considered the best overall college prospect in that state and a player that will be the engineer of the high powered program that they're trying to sell. His commitment to them would shockwaves throughout their state, similar to what Ayo is doing for us now, except their recruiting is a little more established & further along than ours as of now...

I'll take a slight edge in coaching over a slight edge in recruiting any day of the week...

#3,648      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
I really want Whitney. Anyone more in the know than I am want to handicap his recruitment?

He obviously has strong ties to Chicago, playing his freshman season at Solorio in the CPL, and the Fire on the AAU circuit (who he still plays for). I believe he still has family in Chicago as well. Being out East now, he's gotten a lot of offers from programs in that region, including Georgetown recently.

The question with Whitney will be if he wants to stay out East or not. The fact that he's still playing with the Fire is a good sign. He's also already visited us and seemed to really like it.

I think we'll be in that recruitment until the very end.

#3,649      

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
I hope this doesn't turn out like Brian Cardinal where we let someone with a family connection to our program go to a Big Ten rival and have a great career. But he does seem like a Wisconsin type player. :(

I hope he has a fantastic career wherever he ends up

#3,650      
Hope Tim Finke doesn't turn into Brian Cardinal 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketherevelator View Post
Badgers Fan Base‏ @BadgersMBB
The Badgers are now talking to 2018 6'6 SG Tim Finke following Tyler Herro's unexpected de-commitment.
https://twitter.com/BadgersMBB/statu...00454077956096
I hope this doesn't turn out like Brian Cardinal where we let someone with a family connection to our program go to a Big Ten rival and have a great career. But he does seem like a Wisconsin type player

IMHO it won't matter... I don't believe WI will be able to slow this scheme (score in first 7 seconds) down! Also, the years of being schooled by wisky are soon coming to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.