Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,676      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Tim Finke is a player that would be ok on our roster and possibly very good on a team like Wisconsin. But I have full trust in the staff, if they pass on him for another, it's for a reason. If he ends up here, they believe in him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given his rough summer, I think everyone is in wait and see mode on Finke. With the big offers Finke had, I expect him to play out his senior year and sign in the spring, which gives him a chance to pull some of those offers back. Since he fills a position of need, I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois jumps if he has a strong start to his HS season.

#3,677      
This is Hoosier Hysteria weekend and both Garland and Langford are attending. It is critical that IU get one or both of these guys. Archie's intitial recruiting efforts in no way contain the impact recruits that are necessary to return them to blue blood status. They need Zeller/Yogi/Bryant types to get it done.

Yes to this... and HH is nowhere near energy level of the "golden years".

#3,679      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Given his rough summer, I think everyone is in wait and see mode on Finke. With the big offers Finke had, I expect him to play out his senior year and sign in the spring, which gives him a chance to pull some of those offers back. Since he fills a position of need, I wouldn't be surprised if Illinois jumps if he has a strong start to his HS season.

I agree, If I were he (and believe me, as a 51 yr old, with little bball skills, I certainly am not) I would wait until the Spring, unless I got an offer I liked now. I wouldn't settle, I think, from what I have read, he should perform better in a HS team environment, instead of an AAU one.

#3,684      
Ramey is pretty much the missing piece for Mizzou at this point.

& It's not that they are best friends or anything but they are "friends". But more importantly, Ramey is widely considered the best overall college prospect in that state and a player that will be the engineer of the high powered program that they're trying to sell. His commitment to them would shockwaves throughout their state, similar to what Ayo is doing for us now, except their recruiting is a little more established & further along than ours as of now...

Seems you can add Ramey to the list of everything that's fallen Mizzou's way the last several months. Incredible string of luck for a program that's absolutely sucked for years.

#3,685      

IllFanInMi

I
Seems you can add Ramey to the list of everything that's fallen Mizzou's way the last several months. Incredible string of luck for a program that's absolutely sucked for years.

Luck? I am pretty sure that if we hired Cuonzo or Archie we would have a larger recruiting class, however; let's evaluate the big picture in a couple years.

#3,687      
I have lived in IN since 1988 & have a lot of friends that are diehard IU fans. They really like A. Miller but one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that he lacks the "swagger" that Knight carried and they know it. Those who pay attention to the larger B10 scene KNOW that BU has the good version of a "Knight-Like" swagger. They don't admit it but me thinks there is a bit of envy towards our situation....

I have lived in Indiana all my life and have tons of family and friends that are IU fans and not many of them at all even know who our coach is. Most IU fans live in there own world and only come out to root for ND football, or to hate anything Purdue does, The part about Knight yeah that I would agree, but no one will ever be as good as Knight to them

that said I really hope we hear good news on THT after his visit, Him and AYO are who we all wanted all along and anything else in the class would just be gravy. But just having AYO landing a big of any kind really would be nice to see.

19 is the class that could truely put us right back in the thick of things, and have things rolling to the point of us not being happy without landing top 20 or better classes every year

#3,688      

sdfidaho

Boise, Idaho
I have lived in Indiana all my life and have tons of family and friends that are IU fans and not many of them at all even know who our coach is. Most IU fans live in there own world and only come out to root for ND football, or to hate anything Purdue does, The part about Knight yeah that I would agree, but no one will ever be as good as Knight to them

that said I really hope we hear good news on THT after his visit, Him and AYO are who we all wanted all along and anything else in the class would just be gravy. But just having AYO landing a big of any kind really would be nice to see.

19 is the class that could truely put us right back in the thick of things, and have things rolling to the point of us not being happy without landing top 20 or better classes every year

Very doubtful anyone will ever have that kind of success there, so there's that

#3,689      
Luck? I am pretty sure that if we hired Cuonzo or Archie we would have a larger recruiting class, however; let's evaluate the big picture in a couple years.

Ramey would be a lucky circumstance. Was committed to L'Ville, but backs out of that because of scandal with Pitino.

#3,690      
While most on here make fun of the "fit Underwood's system" talk, this is spot on. These two guys are athletes that can play multiple positions. Liddell especially would be a good fit as he has a polished post game and can stretch the defense out to the three point line.
I think they're both 3/4s in Underwood's system. Remember Underwood basically wants 4 wings and a big, which is why he goes after a lot of 6'7" guys, but we also have to defend.

I think Liddell could go as a 3 or 4, but more of a 4. Whitney is a 3/4 but more of a 3. Having guys that can play the wing but defend the post allows a lot of versatility in lineups.

If this team runs an offense at the tempo Underwood wants to, there will be a lot of minutes for a lot of players.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#3,691      

sacraig

The desert
I hope this doesn't turn out like Brian Cardinal where we let someone with a family connection to our program go to a Big Ten rival and have a great career. But he does seem like a Wisconsin type player. :(

Off topic, but nice avatar. Collinsville represent!

#3,693      
Big question that I have about the positionless basketball that we've talked about is how are Smith and Ayo at rebounding? They both have some length, so if both of them can provide 3-5 rebounds a game, that will make me feel a lot better about our lack of bigs.

#3,694      
Big question that I have about the positionless basketball that we've talked about is how are Smith and Ayo at rebounding? They both have some length, so if both of them can provide 3-5 rebounds a game, that will make me feel a lot better about our lack of bigs.

You're right they both have the physique to get boards, but it's mostly mental. Do they want to rebound?

And that's the beauty about having so much depth. They don't compete on the boards? Okay, BU will put someone else in who will get it done.

#3,696      

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL

I do not think we have a lack of bigs.

#3,698      

In the video from B1G TEN Media Day (Brad Underwood - B1G Media Day Part 2) Underwood is asked about his style of play and positionless basketball. I am going to try to quote him here (however I am not a court reporter).

"It's all about recruiting a skillset that can play that way. I literally am not overly consumed with size. If you find 6'9" -6'10" guys and they can do all the things that we need done on the court to find mismatches and so on, we're going to play that way."

#3,699      
I do not think we have a lack of bigs.

As long as we have Finke and Black going I agree with you, but if either of them get injured or in foul trouble, we are dangerously thin. The reason I was asking about the guards rebounding is that it helps with how Underwood described his style. I'd be perfectly happy running a lineup that tries to imitate what Golden State does with big wings at 2-4 and Leron or Finke running the 5 if we get all 5 players on the floor able to grab 3-5 boards a game.

#3,700      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
It's been over 24 hours since the great news from Ayo and I'm still smiling from ear to ear....

Better days ahead after a longgggg time down in the dumps about my Illini...

Status
Not open for further replies.