Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,051      
If tht wants to follow some non eybl guys from Chicago to ames Iowa, more power to him. Me, I'd rather play with 2 stud pgs in an offense that lets me play wide open.
Without actually throwing shade on Prohm and ISU, this is what Underwood will be selling during the in-home, I'd imagine. Still selling dreams at this point. :)

#4,053      

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
How do you nail an in-home? Sleep on the couch and refuse to leave until the recruit agrees to commit to you? :eek:

IIRC Groce nailed Nunn's in-home with presentations on how he would be used, a 4 year growth plan for him, how his specific skill set complimented the existing skills on the team, etc. Obviously, there are probably multiple ways to nail it, but definitely more ways to screw it up. Antigua has been in a lot of these high leverage in-homes when he was with UK, which makes me more confident in the staff's ability to know what will work well for each recruit.

#4,054      

whovous

Washington, DC
It is pretty obviously not happening. Ayo committed and THT has us in his final three. That means they are willing to play together.

#4,055      
tbh the biggest reason I want THT to commit to Illinois is so I never, ever have to hear this "ayo and THT won't play together" line ever again

#4,057      

james81

North Carolina
I'm optimistic about THT and believe we have as good or better chance than Iowa State or Xavier. IIRC, one of our coaches was present for all of his games this summer. He made both an UV and OV. He loved campus life. The OV went great. More fans turned out for him than at any other school. He fits perfectly into BU's system. We've made every cut he's made, even when we were told he had lost interest. He saved us for the last visit and that visit is fresh in his mind. The reality is he hasn't said a lot about any school. If he goes someplace else, no one will be surprised, nor should we be surprised if he picks us. I think he will.

#4,058      

illinifan87

The Windy City
THT is a hard read. If I were betting, I'd say Iowa State. Although I have no info to support that.

But....having the last visit may have given us the momentum needed to land him.

Oh and I do believe there was friction between Ayo and THT, but it wasn't them directly. Probably AAU bull!!!!.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#4,061      

sacraig

The desert
How do you nail an in-home? Sleep on the couch and refuse to leave until the recruit agrees to commit to you? :eek:

You start by secretly sifting through the trash to find out the dad's favorite beer.

#4,062      

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO

These days, if a college basketball coach sleeps on my couch, first thing I do is check between the cushions to see if the shoe fairy left a bag of cash.:D

#4,063      

Deleted member 631370

D
THT is a hard read. If I were betting, I'd say Iowa State. Although I have no info to support that.

But....having the last visit may have given us the momentum needed to land him.

Oh and I do believe there was friction between Ayo and THT, but it wasn't them directly. Probably AAU bull!!!!.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Agree on every point.

I don't think THT and Ayo have any personal animosities toward one another. But the tension on the AAU circuit was real. The Irvins went after the kid because he left for another program, and many assumed -- probably with good reason -- that the THT-Ayo bridge was burned for good.

Whatever the case, I think he goes to Iowa State, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him pick Illinois (or even Xavier, I suppose).

#4,066      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. And it was good to hear Ayo was recruiting THT all last week.

Not much has gotten out about THT's recruitment up to this point and I expect it to stay that was until his announcement.

Honestly, if he picked Xavier I wouldn't be shocked at all.
I wouldn't be shocked by whomever he chooses, either. He's played this about as close to the vest as any recruit I can remember since JCL. Hopefully it ends up the same way (with him committing to us, but lasting longer!).

Even if he doesn't pick the O & B, at least I'm glad he's not going to another B1G team!

#4,067      
It’s hard to take the BXII too seriously when they’ve let the same team win the conference title 13 years straight.

Sounds like a really competitive conference.

Yes, but the team that has challenged them the most recently has been Iowa State. They’ve won the conference tournament 3 of the last 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,068      
I feel more confident than in the past because we actually have an offensive system to attract recruits.

#4,069      
People are overlooking the obvious. We don't know if there is an issue between Ayo and THT, but do you honestly think Underwood doesn't know? Do you think he's never asked? Do you think they both lied? Does Nick Irvin strike you as the type of guy who wouldn't say something if he had a problem with Ayo and THT playing together?

Underwood knows. He basically completely blew off Zion Griffin and kept after THT. He wouldn't do that if he didn't think he had a good chance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#4,072      

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
tbh the biggest reason I want THT to commit to Illinois is so I never, ever have to hear this "ayo and THT won't play together" line ever again
The Simeon pic with THT, DT and NA has always been my favorite comment/blurb in the recruitment of THT.

But with Deon now weighing-in, it's an 11 on a scale of 1-10! Hoping that Nick is also getting involved in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.