Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,301      
Ayo has been re-tweeting out Wake news for the last few hours. Doesnt look good.

#2,302      
for all our crypto twitter clue figure outters alot more retweeting of WF stuff lately so now what

#2,304      

Glory Days

Palmetto, FL
My concern is the Illini staff are not on any true bigs this year. You need one or two every recruiting class. I think the two they got in last year's class will be good in time, but they take time to develop.

The Illini guards are ready to go now. Need a big who can step in and be a force next season.

#2,305      
I'm loving watching all the kids try to make twitter actions relevant, including the kids on the Wake board!

#2,307      

sacraig

The desert
That is in large part because our best recruit (Olivier Sarr) was an international and was not ranked. Had he been ranked he would have been a guaranteed 4 star, and probably borderline 5 star. He would at least have been ranked around 40-60 which would have jumped our class significantly.

You could make a similar argument about Mark Smith for us last year, only in this case, he isn't European, but a player who was focusing on baseball until late in his senior year. He managed to work his way up to a 4-star in that short time but the fact that he won Illinois Mr. Basketball and we had to beat out the likes of Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas to get him ought to tell you what you need to know about him.

EDIT: I added Kansas in there but now that I think of it, I am not sure they were actually that involved. The others were, though.

Last edited:
#2,308      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
My favorite part of what I read on the wake board was, Illinois is acting like Ayo is a savior, he's only a borderline All-American. Ha.

First off, I've never seen anyone call him a savior. Second, yah shouldn't get too excited about local 5 star talent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's ridiculous. Mark Smith is my savior. ;)

#2,309      
You could make a similar argument about Mark Smith for us last year, only in this case, he isn't European, but a player who was focusing on baseball until late in his senior year. He managed to work his way up to a 4-star in that short time but the fact that he won Illinois Mr. Basketball and we had to beat out the likes of Michigan State, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas to get him ought to tell you what you need to know about him.

EDIT: I added Kansas in there but now that I think of it, I am not sure they were actually that involved. The others were, though.

This is right on. Imagine if Mark Smith had been focusing on basketball since 8th grade...

#2,310      

SublimeBeast

Dieterich, IL
The kids on the Wake board are hilarious. They act like they are a blue blood program.

Regardless of what school Ayo chooses, he's a class act young man.

#2,311      

sacraig

The desert
The kids on the Wake board are hilarious. They act like they are a blue blood program.

I'm not sure hilarious is the word I would choose so much as "East Coast elitist dips**ts". They're sitting there referencing all the Midwestern rubes while also talking about how much they want a Midwestern recruit.

They aren't wrong, though, about Ayo's Twitter follows. He does not appear to actually follow any of the Underwoods.

#2,312      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL

For the record, since as far as I can tell nobody on that board can figure it out, Ayo followed Finke, Leron, Tyler Underwood, Ashley Underwood, etc on Instagram, not on Twitter. He only follows 85 people on Instagram. I'm like 5 pages in and nobody has figured that out yet, they are all just making fun of Illinois being an unpopular state school, whatever that means.

#2,313      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
This is right on. Imagine if Mark Smith had been focusing on basketball since 8th grade...

giphy.gif

#2,314      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure hilarious is the word I would choose so much as "East Coast elitist dips**ts". They're sitting there referencing all the Midwestern rubes while also talking about how much they want a Midwestern recruit.

They aren't wrong, though, about Ayo's Twitter follows. He does not appear to actually follow any of the Underwoods.

Double post, but oh well.

Ayo follows all those people on Instagram, not Twitter. Instagram imo is more important than Twitter, but whatever.

#2,316      

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa

On Instragram Ayo follows several Illini players plus one of Underwood’s daughters I believe...which is why all this social media speculation is pointless.

Edit: KrushCow beat me to it

#2,317      

sacraig

The desert
Double post, but oh well.

Ayo follows all those people on Instagram, not Twitter. Instagram imo is more important than Twitter, but whatever.

I have no idea what is or isn't more important in this case. I have an Instagram now, but only because my wife posts pictures of our 3-month-old on there all the time and I don't want to miss out. I don't actually really understand it. I'm a bad millennial, I suppose. :noidea:

#2,318      

SublimeBeast

Dieterich, IL

Yes, that's a better description and a little more in depth than "hilarious" :D

Thanks you kind sir...

#2,319      

Seriously, kicking their !!! back in '04/05 was one of my favorite memories of Illinois basketball, but after reading that board, that game will absolutely pale in comparison to how awesome it will be to do it once again this year.

#2,320      

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
Wake's win total in the ACC since 1990. And their ACC ranking since 1954 (if they finished 1-4). They're top of the league IF they have a Tim Duncan or Chris Paul anchoring them. Other than that, middle of the road for the most part. Duke and Carolina, of course.

Attachments

• Capture ACC.PNG
    Capture ACC.PNG
    43.2 KB · Views: 346
#2,321      

sacraig

The desert
Seriously, kicking their !!! back in '04/05 was one of my favorite memories of Illinois basketball, but after reading that board, that game will absolutely pale in comparison to how awesome it will be to do it once again this year.

That's a bit of craziness right there. Let's not forget how big that win was in '04 when they were the consensus #1 and we absolutely throttled them, even after taking our foot off the gas for like the last 5 minutes of game time. That win really propelled us into that season and should have really helped propel our program forward on a sustained basis. Then Bruce Weber, the human slow-motion death penalty, worked his magic...

#2,322      
Taking unjust shots at Mark Smith for whatever reason, acting like Manning is the Bear ******* Bryant of basketball and the Messiah at the same time whilst Chin Coleman is an under the table dealing, money shuffling, slimy bagman... I mean, what the hell is that. He's literally been a college coach for about 6 months. It's all baseless and they need slapped in the face

#2,323      
While I am feeling confident, I remember after Mark Smith completed his OVs and before his announcement, he was only re-tweeting Illinois propaganda. I'm not saying the Ayo recruitment and the Mark Smith recruitment are the same by any means, but it's something to maybe be concerned about if Ayo continues to re-tweet only WF propaganda.

#2,324      
That's a bit of craziness right there. Let's not forget how big that win was in '04 when they were the consensus #1 and we absolutely throttled them, even after taking our foot off the gas for like the last 5 minutes of game time. That win really propelled us into that season and should have really helped propel our program forward on a sustained basis. Then Bruce Weber, the human slow-motion death penalty, worked his magic...

Self admitted hyperbole. They are some first class d-bags though.

#2,325      

sacraig

The desert
Taking unjust shots at Mark Smith for whatever reason, acting like Manning is the Bear ******* Bryant of basketball and the Messiah at the same time whilst Chin Coleman is an under the table dealing, money shuffling, slimy bagman... I mean, what the hell is that. He's literally been a college coach for about 6 months. It's all baseless and they need slapped in the face

In fairness, these are the same kind of rationalization we tend to make just before losing out on a recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.