Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,626      

socalini

So Cali
I haven't gone to the WF board, but it sounds like we're kindred spirits. We should all have a beer once this is over.

#2,627      

sacraig

The desert
But has this theory every actually worked out? Like can anyone remember a recruit that used this tactic and actually picked Illinois?

I can remember a lot who used this tactic and then didn't pick Illinois.

#2,628      
no time to go back through all the post but I gather all the optimism yesterday has all but disappeared?

#2,629      

sacraig

The desert
Missouri sucks.

Mizzou fans are basically a group of recent lottery winners. They get a taste of (usually) unearned success, go hog wild over it irresponsibly, and then the wheels fall off the bus and they don't know what to do.

#2,632      
who ever deacsrule is I hope your from the scout board, cause your getting roasted over there on the WF board but its making for some funny reading, and a few good belly laughs

#2,633      

Deleted member 2050

D
who ever deacsrule is I hope your from the scout board, cause your getting roasted over there on the WF board but its making for some funny reading, and a few good belly laughs

I ventured over there to see what all the fuss was about and witnessed the crucifixion of deacsrule. Love it, but nothing productive comes from feeding the trolls.

#2,634      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
For those looking for something to hand-wring about, I say stop focusing on a kid RT'ing a picture of himself and Chris Paul (who wouldn't do that? I would do that. CP is awesome.) and worry more about this fact:

The Jordan brand sponsors 21 active NBA players, including Jimmy Butler (basketball), Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, Kawhi Leonard, Russell Westbrook and Carmelo Anthony.

#2,636      
Ayo is coming to Illinois. But if you would like to continue having something to worry about and discuss then carry on.

#2,637      

LJ22

Chicago, IL
I could be huge in Ames. I already hate the Hawkeyes!

On that note, someone on the WF board posted "...midwestern walmart fans of a university that's easier to get into than a pickle jar" and my first thought was that they must have us confused with Iowa.

#2,638      

Deleted member 2050

D
On that note, someone on the WF board posted "...midwestern walmart fans of a university that's easier to get into than a pickle jar" and my first thought was that they must have us confused with Iowa.

To be fair - pickle jars can be quite difficult to get into :frustrated:

#2,640      
haha I meant it as sarcasm! I agree with you, I'm actually surprised they are doing the decision at a Jordan store if I'm a recruit I want nothing to do with any shoe companies no matter what the reasoning

ye I was agreeing with you to the post you quoted lol , I agree and heck even if I was the shoe company I wouldn't want any attion

#2,641      
Not that it is the end all be all, but Ayo retweeting all this Wake stuff might be nothing, but it certainly isn't positive. Have we ever had a commitment where the player retweeted the other team's stuff and not ours and then committed to us? It's not that it's 1 or 2 things. It's that it's 6 or 7 yesterday.

We've had the opposite (retweeting Illini stuff) occur on just about every recruit we've lost. Does that count?

#2,643      

NEIlliniFan

No longer in New England
Wake's fans remind me of this board on many, many prior recruits. Parsing tweets and re-tweets from the recruit to bolster their hopes while desperately ignoring the more substantive signs pointing in a different direction. UI never got those recruits.

#2,644      

Deleted member 11241

D
They are pretty funny over on the wake boards. My favorite is the poster that said he could see Ayo wanting a clearer path to playing time at Illinois. At wake he is going to have 3 guys ahead of him and would see limited minutes. Didn't realize wake had that many 5* guards on their roster already. That post actually came after a couple guys were talking about how he was a one and done possibly two and done lol

#2,645      
Morgan Park wears Jordan brand...I don't think we need to look into this any further lol

Well I seems to me that is more reason to be concerned. MP wears Jordan, he announcement is at a Jordan store, CP is a Jordan guy, Jordan even had a wake forest edition CP3 shoe.

#2,646      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
I love how the WF board is using 247 rankings for our classes and prospects, which has Mark Smith way worse than on Rivals (78 vs 55), as well as THT (109 vs 54). Also, those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Ayo via OGBoard said:
Hitman Hart It appears that Illinois fans are hyping up their 2017 recruiting class the same way the Bzzinners were hyping up Wake's 2012 recruiting class. Weird.

Yep. Quantity can really distort class rankings. Here are the composite 247 player rankings of the Illinois 2017 class:

78 (Mark Da God Smith)
N/A

vs Wake Forest Class 2017:

Our class was #29 overall, there's was #38 according to 247. So not really sure what point they are trying to make there.

#2,648      
So Thursday is when we find out if Ayo fits BU's system.:cool:

#2,649      
Well I seems to me that is more reason to be concerned. MP wears Jordan, he announcement is at a Jordan store, CP is a Jordan guy, Jordan even had a wake forest edition CP3 shoe.

Is that linkage necessarily more compelling than "Morgan Park is Jordan brand" or ":illinois: is a Nike school"?

I'm not quite paranoid enough to think so; perhaps I've not felt as burned by past recruiting misses as others have... I do attempt to avoid reading tea leaves that are usually simply dregs and don't actually foretell the future.

#2,650      
One thing is for certain, Ayo and his family will make this decision with his head and his heart. They aren't making this decision just because Illinois wooed them on the visit. He'll choose Illinois because he knows we have a superior brand to WF. When both teams are at their peak, Illinois has much more appeal due to a far larger fan/alumni base.

Think of the last time you've been anywhere and seen a WF logo. I've been to LA, NO, NY, all throughout the Midwest, and abroad and seen the block I. I can't remember ever seeing a Wake logo.

Agree and add to that, the floor for each teams performance is similar, but the ceiling at Illinois is higher for the reasons you mentioned and because there are three other programs within North Carolina that are better.

For Brad Underwood, Illinois is a destination program. For Danny Manning it is, how do I become the heir apparent to Bill Self or Roy Williams.

For Danny to stay there WF will have to have mediocre success.

Status
Not open for further replies.