Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2,752      
I'm trying to figure out how they would even know he was disinterested? That's something Ayo or any other recruit would never say publicly. And I hope they weren't simply reading his body language because we all know teens have terrible body language. I think it's kind of stupid to say something like that on a public radio show, when there is no substance to back it up.

#2,753      

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
Ayo is going to WF for the non conference then play for our beloved during the conference and NCAA tourneys. This will happen for 4 years. Now both sides can feel good. :D

#2,759      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
my prediction is that sometime tomorrow jerry meyer picks Ayo to WF setting off an avalanche of WF picks as the loyalty meltdown commences and 247 site visits skyrocket

#2,760      
Also of note, the crystal balls are generally reliable once we get close to the commitment date with a guy like Ayo. Family ran, honest, no nonsense recruit means nothing crazy is going to happen. It's too early to put any stock in the crystal balls right now. But if everyone stays Illini tomorrow night going into the afternoon on Thurdsay, then I'm going to be ecstatic. Likewise, if people start flipping to Wake then it's almost guaranteed that something substantial leaked.

And of course, nothing is ever 100% reliable. But the crystal balls are decent indicators in any recruitment (that isn't a circus) once it's close to decision time. Because it's almost guaranteed something will leak one way or the other at some point on Thursday before Ayo commits himself.

#2,762      
Hard to imagine Ayo not going to Illinois when announcing in downtown Chicago. Hard conversation to have with Chin who is pretty close to the Morgan Park/Mac Irvin circles. He might not join other recruits in his class but will have Smith, Frazier, and Damonte to win alot of games with. Damonte also played with the Irvin Fire squad. I like chances more with Ayo than I felt with M Smith. Good luck Illini

#2,763      

sacraig

The desert
We have our PG... but seriously we do.

Well yeah, we signed Te'Jon Lucas two years ago, and Mark Smith, Damonte Williams, and Trent Frazier last year. Between those three, we ought to be covered for a while regardless of Ayo's decision.

</overly seriousness>

#2,765      

Deleted member 631370

D
Bubbles is godfather to harv's granddaughter....

Is that actually true?

Because if so, it would explain a lot.

(I think Weber is a good guy, and I can see why so many have remained loyal to him -- particularly since many of them probably befriended Weber during his time in Champaign)

#2,766      

Deleted member 631370

D
I am not a huge believer in the 247 Crystal Ball indicator, but, when all 12 of the votes are for the Illini it would shock me if Ayo chooses differently.

Correct. Which is why I never bought the "Nolley to Illinois" nonsense. Almost everybody had him going VT.

yes, there are Kevin Looney scenarios in which he surprises everybody. But more times than not, if the herd is overwhelmingly picking one school, bet on that school. In Ayo's case, that school is Illinois.

Imagine if Ayo lived in Charlotte and played for a HS coach (and an AAU coach before that) who were very close family-like friends with a Wake Forest assistant. Everybody on this board exercising a modicum of logic would conclude that the kid was going to Wake Forest. The crystal balls would reflect that. It would be the safe pick.

Well, we are the safe pick in this particular scenario. Just my gut, at least.

#2,767      

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Is that actually true?

Because if so, it would explain a lot.

(I think Weber is a good guy, and I can see why so many have remained loyal to him -- particularly since many of them probably befriended Weber during his time in Champaign)

no....but harv wishes it was...:cool::illinois::illinois::chief:

somehow ive lost over 90 posts...odd

Last edited:
#2,768      
Ayo is coming to Illinois as a 5 star to lead us back to elite:hailtotheorange:

#2,769      

illinimike

Wheaton, IL
my prediction is that sometime tomorrow jerry meyer picks Ayo to WF setting off an avalanche of WF picks as the loyalty meltdown commences and 247 site visits skyrocket

Agreed, but you forgot the part where everyone says that the crystal balls don't mean anything since they aren't for us.

#2,771      
I can't wait for when Ayo commits, then an unfortunately large section of this board anoints you as the latest insider, then you guess incorrectly on the next big recruitment, and everyone acts all surprised and runs you off... until you reregister a new username and regain your insider status and the cycle starts anew.

lol probably will only be my only one but I'm just trying to keep the good feels rolling thru as people apply cups and make sure they're in check 😂
Glad to see things getting exciting in here 👀

#2,772      
Our PG, Ayo is coming. Sorry I wasn't 100% clear for the jokesters. Rest easy Illini Nation. He is not like Jackson, Cliff, Snider, etc etc etc. Orange and Blue

#2,775      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Choose your gifs wisely! :thumb:

mdOSWN.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.