Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#3,726      
Everyone: THT is on his official visit. The guy is a stud. Show him love!

No need to discuss Mizzou, Indiana, etc. If in Champaign, be there for his workout at 11 am CST.

#wewillwin
Man, do I wish I could be there. I'm 3 states away unfortunately. those that watch THT this morning...I truly believe will be watching a future NBA player. Would love for him to don O&B. I think he could be another Illini great from Simeon. Show him Illini love!

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

#3,727      
39181.gif

T-H-T !

<in voice of Brian Johnson>
"Watch me explooooooooooooooooode!!!!!

#3,728      

Deleted member 631370

D
We are not recruiting Courtney Ramey, correct?

Okay.

That said, let's save the Mizzou talk for the Braggin' Rights game (or discuss if/when Ramey commits to Mizzou). Just my suggestion, but I'm not the boss.

Hope THT has a great weekend.

#3,729      
I remember the days when we would always end up with the 3rd or 4th best players in the state, which would have been Conditt and Griffin. Now we've gotten the best player in the state back to back and have a chance with THT after about 7 months of the new coaching staff. I'm pretty sure this is what we've all talked about as the dream scenario for Illinois basketball. It's actually taken me a bit to process that.

#3,730      
I remember the days when we would always end up with the 3rd or 4th best players in the state, which would have been Conditt and Griffin. Now we've gotten the best player in the state back to back and have a chance with THT after about 7 months of the new coaching staff. I'm pretty sure this is what we've all talked about as the dream scenario for Illinois basketball. It's actually taken me a bit to process that.

Hard not to think if we had BU that we wouldn't have landed one of Jalen Brunson or Juwan Evans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3,731      
Hard not to think if we had BU that we wouldn't have landed one of Jalen Brunson or Juwan Evans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irrelevant to today and tomorrow. We have Frazier, Damonte, Ayo, Alstork and maybe THT?!

Forward not backward ...

#3,733      
Everyone: THT is on his official visit. The guy is a stud. Show him love!

No need to discuss Mizzou, Indiana, etc. If in Champaign, be there for his workout at 11 am CST.

#wewillwin

Hope the practice is packed and makes an impression. I have no read on THT. I do know that he HAS to look at Underwood's offense and the players we already have and think he could score 18ppg in this offense his JR season and have a good shot at pro ball. This offense fits his skillset more perfectly than anyone we talked with in 2018. Great fit.

#3,734      

Deleted member 631370

D

Yep, it's a great feeling.

To play the other side of the argument for just a moment though, neither Smith nor Ayo are at that Okafor/Cliff/Anthony Davis/Derrick Rose level. The real test of whether we "own" Illinois is whether we can lure in some of those kids. The next one up is maybe Adam Miller?

It's odd......Chicago hasn't had that top-10 recruit since Okafor and Cliff. Personally, I think we can build a national power without getting any of those 1-and-done top-10 kids, but instead, getting kids like Ayo, Mark Smith, Francis Okoro, etc. That's plenty of talent to get us to the top. Win those battles, and we'll be golden -- regardless of whether we can lure in the next Derrick Rose or Jahlil Okafor.

#3,735      
I have lived in IN since 1988 & have a lot of friends that are diehard IU fans. They really like A. Miller but one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb is that he lacks the "swagger" that Knight carried and they know it. Those who pay attention to the larger B10 scene KNOW that BU has the good version of a "Knight-Like" swagger. They don't admit it but me thinks there is a bit of envy towards our situation....

And the shadow of Bobby Knight still looms over Bloomington. Love it.

They will never get over that guy. It's been 17 years.

#3,736      

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
And the shadow of Bobby Knight still looms over Bloomington. Love it.

They will never get over that guy. It's been 17 years.

Ditka still rules Chicago and anywhere else Bears fans gather. Midwestern sports legends die hard.

Last edited:
#3,737      
And I mean a disappointing year based on realistic expectations. I've heard too many Mizzou fans say that they are basically a lock for the Final Four.

Cuonzo's teams' underachievement on the floor, and Cuonzo's hasty exit from Cal would suggest strongly otherwise.

He had one lucky S16 at Tennessee as an 11 seed, they were the ones that got to play 14 seed Mercer to make the S16, after Mercer had just upset Duke. A 24-13 record that year isn't bad, but this is his only NCAA tournament on his resume. He recruited well at Cal and regularly did not meet expectations of his talent.

If I were Missouri I'd hold off on booking those F4 trips just yet

Last edited:
#3,739      

Deleted member 633632

D
I know this doesn't exactly apply to Illinois anymore, but I'll share just because I've seen a few people talking about Mizzou/Courtney Ramey.

My #source is very tied into Missouri recruiting and he recently talked with Ramey's HS head coach. At this point in time, that coach doesn't envision him picking the Tigers. I was surprised to hear that because, as mentioned, it seemed like he'd be a great/logical fit. But it sounds like Ramey is just seeking a bigger stage at the next level.

That's good news Then! :illinois:������������

EDIT: For those asking to stop talking about Ramey/Mizzou, Respect! ✊�� I just furthered the conversation a little bit b/c Ramey picking misery would effect us with Liddell, imo. But him seeking bigger stages is exactly what the Doctor ordered ...

Anyway, it's THT-day!! ��️��️

Last edited by a moderator:
#3,741      
351....c'mon and surprise commit today THT...

3 letters (2 names of the biggest stars we will have)
5 number played, soon to be 25
1 championship you help build!!!

THT, own the wing and play your game here with the ILLINI!!!

#3,743      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
if we can get THT on board i think we could see a serious flurry of activity involving the '19s. momentum in recruiting is yuuuge

#3,744      

Deleted member 633632

D
Seriously though! I am a student here and I will be in attendance!

Any chance you started a group text of every Illini fan / student you know and have everyone meeting up at Ubben shortly? ;)

Lol, wish I could be there! :thumb:

#3,745      
Then explain, well explanation not really needed, but there is a huge reason why the list of 5th year transfers is 100X longer than the guys that stay for a 5th year.

I am not trying to be condescending here, but players get five years to play four. The only $ schools can offer is scholarship money. Both Finke and Black would get their fifth year paid for assuming of course they want to stay.

Players leave schools for more exposure. MOST of the grad transfers you see are from smaller schools to bigger schools where they have a better chance to be seen by NBA scouts. Those who transfer from big to smaller programs usually do so for playing time, such as Mike LaTulip. I am sure you can find a few examples to,offset these, but I think this sums it up well.

#3,747      
With Black and Finke if they find a good fit with BU schemes and impact they will stay. Don't see the need to leave for more exposure.

If Black doesn't see an NCAA tourny team and finds a team that is FF4 material who lacks a PF. That might be good reason. But BU had been complimentary of Black. To he honest Black hasn't grown much as a player and still needs to show that hples in his game have improved.

#3,748      

Deleted member 10676

D
Brad Sturdy‏ @Sturdy32 21m21 minutes ago
Interesting factoid about @Thortontucker ...he is only 16 and will be 17 in November.

THT5 Retweeted
Marcus Liberty‏ @Givemeliberty30 14h14 hours ago
@Thortontucker beautiful campus and the fans are off the charts frfr ILL #final4 #1989 #2005 #20---

Status
Not open for further replies.