Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#4,878      

peace davids

Colorado
We have been wanting to actively recruit the Chicago programs for years. In that circle, there are egos and demands. There is no getting around it. This time it is on the coaches - but next time it'll be the players, or families, or a struggle with admissions... Getting the best players comes with baggage.

This is not about BU and the stuff "taking a stand" against recruiting demands. They are in no position to do so. This is about playing the game and making tough choices. If BU tells Ayo and the Mac Irvin Fire - "Tough cookies, we are taking THT anyway." you risk losing both recruits and your top 19 and 20 targets. Illinois is in no position to risk that - not today.

They made a choice that they HAD to make. If they pick THT and Ayo walks, we would all be upset.

#4,879      
Why would you root against our staff? Are you not a fan of the Illini? Do you not think Underwood and staff will get us to a better spot than where we have currently been the last how many years?
actually I'm not rooting against our staff. I think pulling an offer is a mistake after an OV. i want them to learn from mistake.

Once you pull trigger on an OV and sell player I think you owe it to follow through. We arguably need a wing more than a PG also.

kinda like coming to agreement on a car sale and the car salesman renigs.

#4,880      
I'm not sure when Ayo Dosunmu became Michael Jordan. Do we have to run all future recruits by him for his approval?

This is ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#4,881      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
You're always going to have conflicts in Chicago. Lou had a better relationship with Simeon and Bob Hambric back in the day, and always had a problem getting in with Landon Sonny Cox at King (save for Marcus).

You can't please them all, you have to choose what will help the Illini program at this time. If it burns some bridges, they are bridges that you'll just have to work harder to repair if needed.

I'll let Underwood and Coleman navigate that journey. For now, it stinks we don't get THT, but we have Ayo and the possibility of a lot more talent from MIF.

As someone else said, welcome to the fun side of recruiting...

#4,882      

Tophe

Middle TN
giphy.gif

#4,883      

Deleted member 236589

D
Revoking a kid's offer on the day of his announcement in order to appease another commit's AAU coach seems about as dirty as it gets. I tend to shrug off what I call "victimless" NCAA infractions. This to me is terrible.

Who knows what impact this will have on the perception of Underwood with every other coach in the state. Attaching your wagon to the MIF is a losing proposition in my opinion.

It is tastless and BU is going to take one on the chin for it. However, it's not a losing proposition. It's a winning strategy. Stick with whoever can fill your cupboard with the most talent year in and year out. That's the MIF. It's not good business practices, but it is good business. It's why coaches "Crean" kids. If you want a legit shot at Miller in a couple of years, these are the tough decisions that have to be made.

It's just a shame that all sides couldn't co-exist for the greater good.

#4,885      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
actually I'm not rooting against our staff. I think pulling an offer is a mistake after an OV. i want them to learn from mistake.

Once you pull trigger on an OV and sell player I think you owe it to follow through. We arguably need a wing more than a PG also.

kinda like coming to agreement on a car sale and the car salesman renigs.

Recruiting is fluid and circumstances change. The staff has to adapt and make the best decision they can at that time. Seems to me that's what they did. THT will be okay at Iowa State or Xavier. It's not like he's not going to get a scholarship at all.

We arguably need some bigs for next year as well. Not making this choice could have well hurt us with Okoro.

Let's just hope we don't run into Iowa St or Xavier in the tourney. Many conflicted fans on here if that happens.

#4,886      
Are we sure about all this. I was listening to the Jeremy Werner show within the last hour with he and Piper and it was all positive vibes. There was nothing about what has transpired on the last several pages.

#4,887      

Deleted member 236589

D
I'm not sure when Ayo Dosunmu became Michael Jordan. Do we have to run all future recruits by him for his approval?

This is ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

He's the first five star recruit from Chicago in how many years to commit here? Plus, he committed first. On top of that he's from probably the most elite pipeline of talent in America.

So.....it's big picture. Stinks, but those are the facts

#4,888      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I don't have all the facts. Therefore I am going to decline coming to any conclusions about a recruit, a parent, a high school coach, an AAU coach, an assistant coach at UI or the head coach at UI.

But that's just me.

#4,891      

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
So honestly.. can someone explain to me in a logical, sequential order what actually happened ?

#4,892      

Deleted member 236589

D
Well, Simeon vs Morgan Park just got a little more interesting this year.

#4,894      
Did we all go from lamenting not having coaches play the Chicago recruiting game, to lamenting actually playing the Chicago recruiting game?

#4,895      

Bailey

Los Angeles
I don't have all the facts. Therefore I am going to decline coming to any conclusions about a recruit, a parent, a high school coach, an AAU coach, an assistant coach at UI or the head coach at UI.

But that's just me.

Ban this man

#4,899      
NICK IRVIN‏ @NICKIRV Oct 25

More
Either you loyal or not you can't be one way it's all in or nothing #5/19
2 replies
13 retweets
83 likes
nic Irvin yesterday:(

#4,900      

Deleted member 236589

D
NICK IRVIN‏ @NICKIRV Oct 25

More
Either you loyal or not you can't be one way it's all in or nothing #5/19
2 replies
13 retweets
83 likes
nic Irvin yesterday:(

I'm starting to think this was directed at BU and Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.