Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patrick Williams 6'7" top 50 SF announcing tomorrow - CB's are for FSU. Might help us with Shannon.

Kind of sounds like he is being pushed towards UofI but really wants to go to FSU.

I feel like it’s the other way around but I thought we lost him once he decided to go to prep school in Florida. FSU likely landing another 3 makes me feel better about our chances though.

I don't see official visits as being wasted. Nobody is taking an OV to see a cornfield. So there must be some interest.

I am really concerned that we have 0 commits so far. It is October, and we are one of 2 BIG teams without a commit so far,(Iowa) if what I read is correct. Was ddefinitely bummed out to read EJ completed OSU class. Perhaps I am underrating our late recruits from lat year, but seems like we were in the pile of leftovers. The previous group of late recruits is mostly gone. One and done! Not sure if we are taking the proper track or not for recruiting, but it would be refreshing to get somebody in the fold. Ayo appears to be the exception and not the rule.

It is unusual for me to be a pessimist, but it has been too long for some actual results. What is our realistic shot to even be NIT bound this season? I see predictions of 10,12 13 in the BIG. Last year we scoffed at predictions of 9th in the BIG, and perhaps those were optimistic. Really hope I am wrong, and will always root for the Illini. Do feel the guards/wings are good if not great, but the old adage that you can't teach height is in play. Perhaps positionless basketball will work. I am still interested enough to often read, but rarely post.

GO ILLINI!

I think our backcourt this year will be much improved, I really do. My concern is frontcourt and specifically the 4/5 positions. I think we are very shallow.

I am pretty sure that is almost everyone's position. AND, obviously, it is true. However, it may not be as bad as we think...

Kids don't just come to the cornfields for fun. Everyone who has taken an OV has (had) legitimate interest. Can't know what going to a school will be like until you've visited and seen it for yourself.

Kids don't just come to the cornfields for fun. Everyone who has taken an OV has (had) legitimate interest. Can't know what going to a school will be like until you've visited and seen it for yourself.
That being said, if we don't have some commitments soon we need to save a couple OVs for the spring.

Yeah, that interview sounds like we're at best in third.

At Ubben at 12:10 - only 8 people here! Higgs (without a boot) is shooting with OA watching. Person next to me says he's been shooting for quite awhile.

At Ubben at 12:10 - only 8 people here! Higgs (without a boot) is shooting with OA watching. Person next to me says he's been shooting for quite awhile.
Only 50 people here at 12:30 - no students - disappointing.

JJE

Bethalto, IL
50 people isn’t bad. Considering it’s during the middle of a football game Illinois might win.

That’s a pathetic turnout, football game or not. I wouldn’t say that’s a dagger in this but it’s not good.
Do other schools have people watch the kids workout? Based on our closing rate, much like the "Twitter love", I don't think this makes a whole lot of difference to most of the kids. If it was a bunch of beautiful co-eds and the Orange Krush? Maybe it would be more impactful.

Not dagger.
Yeah I overreacted but it’s still disappointing. I think we still have a chance and felt kinda of good about landing Guerrier but I think it needs to be a homerun visit. Things like this take away from that depending on what his expectation was heading into the visit. How well he resonates with the players and staff will certainly be bigger factors so I’m sure this is a pretty minuscule factor in comparison.

Yeah I overreacted but it’s still disappointing. I think we still have a chance and felt kinda of good about landing Guerrier but I think it needs to be a homerun visit. Things like this take away from that depending on what his expectation was heading into the visit. How well he resonates with the players and staff will certainly be bigger factors so I’m sure this is a pretty minuscule factor in comparison.

I appreciate you, and the almost never seen ability on this forum to be level-headed and rational! Thank you!

While a packed house would always be ideal this is a rare situation of a recruit who can enroll next semester. QG has serious size and range as a player. Surprised not enough discussion about a young player who can potentially have over a half-year head start with college on-court experience, as well as strength and conditioning.

Besides, if fan turnout at Ubben was what led players to commit, we would have EJ.
Literally no one said that it was. Recruiting involves many factors, and most of them are out of our control but fan support is pretty much the only thing that can be controlled. It might be a small one but come on, we have a top 50 players on our campus and only 50 fans turned out to watch a high level workout/scrimmage.. that’s sad.

All that being said, I’m incredibly encouraged by our new guys and the family atmosphere. I felt like we had that under Groce but last year had a clearly different team cultute. I’ve watched the videos from media day a couple of time and it’s so refreshing to hear about the bonding. I feel like most teams talk about having that strength but it seemed genuine. Hopefully that sticks even during the rough patches we’ll run into this year. I think that strength should go a long way with recruiting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.