Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,427      
The staff has whiffed on all recruits so far, of course they're looking at other options. The JUCO kid also has offers form W. Virg. and Vir. Tech so he must be able to play.

#1,428      
The staff has whiffed on all recruits so far, of course they're looking at other options. The JUCO kid also has offers form W. Virg. and Vir. Tech so he must be able to play.

WV may not apply so much now though?

#1,430      
I actually dont mind taking a flyer on Payton. Last year, he was on the radar for teams like Northwestern. Seems to have a good build, high jumper, solid speed, solid midrange jumper, and seems to be a smart player. Obviously, others such as Okoro are more talented, but he did hold his own a little last year. I like him better than players such as Giorgi as prospects, Mav, etc. On talent. Im not saying he is going to be as good, but as an athlete with long arms I think we coukd do a lot worse. Im a little hesitant over Underwoods overall recruiting to get that star consistently, but if we can keep Ayo, Frazier, develop Kane, Jones, Giorgi, Williams, and Griffin, we have a heck of a core. I think Payton slipped because of limited exposure to AAU ball, but I doubt there are 300 players better than Payton, and honestly, I would put him in the fringe top 150. A little underrated, a good athlete at the PF spot, and if he was 2 inches taller, would be a top 75 player IMO.

#1,431      
Going to be interesting who the first signing is. At this time I wouldn't even want to guess as things don't seem to be going that well in recruiting. Hopefully the staff can get a couple players in November but not looking good at the moment.

#1,434      
I actually dont mind taking a flyer on Payton. Last year, he was on the radar for teams like Northwestern. Seems to have a good build, high jumper, solid speed, solid midrange jumper, and seems to be a smart player. Obviously, others such as Okoro are more talented, but he did hold his own a little last year. I like him better than players such as Giorgi as prospects, Mav, etc. On talent. Im not saying he is going to be as good, but as an athlete with long arms I think we coukd do a lot worse. Im a little hesitant over Underwoods overall recruiting to get that star consistently, but if we can keep Ayo, Frazier, develop Kane, Jones, Giorgi, Williams, and Griffin, we have a heck of a core. I think Payton slipped because of limited exposure to AAU ball, but I doubt there are 300 players better than Payton, and honestly, I would put him in the fringe top 150. A little underrated, a good athlete at the PF spot, and if he was 2 inches taller, would be a top 75 player IMO.
When I saw him play in Dallas this year I was not impressed. He looked lost & was timid with his play. Didnt display much of an offensive game either.

#1,439      
This is like watching a train crash in super slow motion drawn out over several years.
We all know what is coming but there is nothing we can do about it but sit back and watch it happen.

#1,440      
This right here is why I don't think the popular narrative here about our lack of recruiting success is correct. Our staff have histories of success on and off the court (though the level of each varies by individual), so combined they should be able to run a solid program. We haven't closed on our targets lately, buy I don't but the idea that that is because the staff doesn't know how. I also don't buy the idea that BU yells too much or rides his guys too hard. Too many other successful coaches do the same. Of course, I don't know what is the answer, but I am pretty sure that isn't the answer. It doesn't pass the test of Occam's razor because it involves staff suddenly all forgetting skills that they used to have.

The fact that our staff, at least on the recruiting front, seems to be operating on a level that is less than the sum of its parts implies to me that some other factor is the cause. Maybe the staff haven't internally meshed well and it shows to the recruits? Maybe it really is just that hard to sell recruits on a program that has been in the dumps for 10+ years? Maybe the staff is less willing to operate in a gray area than previously until the FBI investigation blows over? I don't know.
Occams Razor find X.jpg

#1,441      
Whatever happened to Chris Payton's older brother Charles? He was considered a real prospect and then transferred to small school Olympia for some reason in HS. Was going to a different HS than Chris. Sort of faded off the radar..

#1,444      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
This is like watching a train crash in super slow motion drawn out over several years.
We all know what is coming but there is nothing we can do about it but sit back and get on loyalty and act as scouts and post opinions as if they are facts.
FIFY

#1,446      
There's nothing wrong with getting depth players from the JUCO/Grad ranks. There's also nothing wrong with taking on project players, who might have excellent athleticism or motor or whatever, and hope some other skills develop.

The problem arises when the amount of players that fall into those categories rises from the bottom 4/5 on our bench, to half the team. We aren't quite there yet, but we inch closer everyday.

#1,448      

I'm far more patient than most with coaching but even I can't ignore that this will now be the 3rd year in a row we will be desperately scrambling to fill out our roster with multiple spring-summer 'diamonds in the rough' that other P5 schools didn't offer.

#1,449      
Whatever happened to Chris Payton's older brother Charles? He was considered a real prospect and then transferred to small school Olympia for some reason in HS. Was going to a different HS than Chris. Sort of faded off the radar..
Was going to play JUCO but I don't think that panned out for some reason. Transferring schools definitely stunted his growth. They just let him play hero ball at Olympia, which was a poor coaching decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.