Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
In honor of Mike "the Elevator"!!:D

Actually, miketherevelator (Mike the revelator). Not picking on you. For some reason a lot of people saw "elevator" in the name including me until one day I looked more closely.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
Underwood keeps fueling that phrase, he just said it again yesterday. It is sort of a rejection response.

I see it as "coach speak". It's funny how some folks pick and choose when they support "coach speak" and when they choose to use "coach speak" against the coach...

Deleted member 2050

D
Lots of know it alls here think their opinions are real. Reality can be observed in real time, or can be realized after the fact. Reality doesn't happen before the fact, except in movies. If they give no logical argument, provide no data from verified sources, it should be assumed to be bs, imo. Sometimes called flatulence, or gas. Something immature brains can not comprehend. I find it somewhat funny that the two most prolific posters on this board throw their stuff on the wall everyday, and people appear to suck it up. Apparently, you have to have this thing called wisdom to understand what Mr. Jordan had observed.
Now you two go to your room and don't come out until we get a big

So, in short, I don't think winning solves everything. I think winning helps. New training facilities help. Building up some swagger around the program helps. I think we are on our way to doing all of these things, but it takes time, and our program had been dragged so far through the dirt prior to this that it's almost like starting with nothing. Ayo is an outlier, not a trend. We need that to be a trend.
Were there any major basketball facility upgrades in mid 2000s? This seems to be a prime spot for fundraising/donations especially around ffour run. Just curious.

Deleted member 746094

D
So QG is here this weekend. Wants to enroll in December and redshirt. What’s our pitch and who is leading for him currently?

Thanks! Maybe Oregon’s name in the news today will hurt their chances moving forward? Probably not.
I would think our style of play and open scholarship are the things going for us. I think Oregon and Syracuse might also have open scholarships (maybe someone else on the Board knows that for sure). Hopefully he is scared off by the Oregon news and he doesn't want to play the Syracuse zone defense.

Ryllini

Lombard
Not related to our recruiting, but Kevin Keats just reaped in a 5 start and is building a beast at NC State. S&C, I’m sure has some feeling about this.

Gunner23

Panama City, Florida
The glass really is half full, and it really is half empty.

A realist seems to see the glass as half full and/or half empty, depending on their own personal agenda...

the two most prolific posters on this board

giphy.gif

So QG is here this weekend. Wants to enroll in December and redshirt. What’s our pitch and who is leading for him currently?
QG looks like another great player to get a look at. I hope we can land talent like this and wouldn't it make sense? All the noise around the other 3 and we land some obscure top 50 fish dude from Canada. Looks like Ford's seeds took a lot of sunlight to sprout.

Not related to our recruiting, but Kevin Keats just reaped in a 5 start and is building a beast at NC State. S&C, I’m sure has some feeling about this.

How are some of the other guys we were looking at before hiring BU doing? On the football side I like to keep an eye on Fuente, Fleck, Babers, etc. and they're all having success. Doesn't mean they would've been successful here but an interesting topic nonetheless. Cuonzo and Archie obviously were two that got a lot of buzz.

How are some of the other guys we were looking at before hiring BU doing? On the football side I like to keep an eye on Fuente, Fleck, Babers, etc. and they're all having success. Doesn't mean they would've been successful here but an interesting topic nonetheless. Cuonzo and Archie obviously were two that got a lot of buzz.

Monty Williams is now the top assistant for the Philadelphia 76ers.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
I bet they do their workouts in the equivalent of 1960s Huff Hall locker and weight rooms, too, right?

You are completely missing the point (or points) here.

First, Assembly Hall opened in 1963. If you are honestly claiming that 1960s basketball is the same as 2010s basketball, then I don't know what else to say here.

Second, sure Duke plays in a historic, old-style gymnasium (which, I'll note, is actually twice the size of Huff, not "slightly larger"), but it isn't the game facilities that have the impact. As long as game facilities draw a crowd then it's pretty irrelevant (and sometimes even that isn't relevant). Practice and training facilities are where the big sell is. We aren't talking about selling tickets to fans, who want a good gameday experience. We are talking about selling training and playing opportunities to athletes who, just maybe, might someday get a shot at the pros. Training facilities matter, and having state of the art training facilities (where players spend most of their time anyway) can be a huge selling point both for the awe of it and for the fact that good training facilities can help players reach the pros.

Duke may play in a (charming) old building, but they practice in a palace. We don't.

UK is the same way. Rupp Arena is terrible but the players are there at most a few hours a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.