Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2019 four-star center Tre Mitchell
"The two schools to beat right now are UConn and Notre Dame but he still has an open mind. He’s taking an official visit to Illinois next weekend and then plans to wait and see who comes into the picture before scheduling his final two official visits."
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/sec/university-of-missouri/article219520255.html
I am not sure that there is any good way to resolve this but I feel like we are wasting a lot of official visits on guys that are not going to come here. I feel like we are using them up on players that maybe are agreeing to a visit because they have a relationship with an assistant or something like that or want to boost an assistant but don't have much real interest in coming here. No evidence and of course there is no way to really tell a highly skilled player that his interest isn't high enough to come for a visit if the recruit wants to visit but it's just how it all feels.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
5cf0a238880cf93e6eea80adb9ac07e3.gif

I am not sure that there is any good way to resolve this but I feel like we are wasting a lot of official visits on guys that are not going to come here. I feel like we are using them up on players that maybe are agreeing to a visit because they have a relationship with an assistant or something like that or want to boost an assistant but don't have much real interest in coming here. No evidence and of course there is no way to really tell a highly skilled player that his interest isn't high enough to come for a visit if the recruit wants to visit but it's just how it all feels.

It is important to note that the quote about UConn and Notre Dame in the lead was from the reporter and note Mitchell saying it. Recruits don't take visits to schools that they aren't interested in. You list a school in a top 10/8/5 to boost an assistant/relationship but you don't waste one of your OV's to visit a school you know you are not going to go to.

JJB

Chicago, IL

In my experience, you should take every interview you can.

In person? Of course not but I’ve seen some games online for both players. I think we’re overrating Griffin but I think he’ll be a good 3 and D player down the road as an upperclassman. I’m quite impressed with Guerrier though and think he can have an impact right away. Plenty of people have said that he’d be a top 50 guy if he lived in the US and I think that’s accurate. I also think that Griffin’s ranking of around 200th is accurate as well after seeing his ball handling and decision making. Back to Guerrier though, I think he would play the 4 for us if Kipper isn’t consistent on offense and doesn’t improve o defense.

Yeah, but Griffin outplayed much higher rated players in the NY playoffs last spring and his team won. I'd say you're underrating him. I don't think 200 is accurate for him.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
It is important to note that the quote about UConn and Notre Dame in the lead was from the reporter and note Mitchell saying it. Recruits don't take visits to schools that they aren't interested in. You list a school in a top 10/8/5 to boost an assistant/relationship but you don't waste one of your OV's to visit a school you know you are not going to go to.
Not that it is happening here necessarily but recruits absolutely take visits to places they never intend to attend. Assistant coaches have careers to think about too and in some cases, there are assistants who have a relationship with a recruit or family but work at a school the recruit will not attend. However, the relationship is enough that the family or recruit agree to take a visit as a favor to the assistant as a way to help the assistant's profile and for appearance sake. It's a way to help the assistant get credit for getting a high profile recruit on campus and "getting close on the recruit." Other schools take notice that the assistant is getting high profile recruits to campus that the school might not otherwise get and the assistant's reputation gets a boost. I know this sound far fetched to some but it happens. It happens.

Yeah, but Griffin outplayed much higher rated players in the NY playoffs last spring and his team won. I'd say you're underrating him. I don't think 200 is accurate for him.

He's 185 in the 247 Composite, which is where he meteorically leapt to after those HS performances, top 150 on Rivals I believe. That's exactly why I'm optimistic about him. He was a zero-star, without even a prospect page on a couple of sites when he committed. Great job by OA and BU to find and close on him.

My kingdom for the same thing to happen with a 6'10" guy over the next month.

Deleted member 29907

D
As a sales executive, I would never put 100% of my resources into one customer. However the bigger the opportunity the more resources you put toward that opportunity. You can use those same resources for multiple opportunities. However, we all get together as a group and determine which opportunities are viable and determine how much time and resources are going towards each opportunity. I'm sure all coaching staffs do the same sort of sales planning. This is done on a daily, weekly, monthly basis as opportunities constantly come and go. You have to be flexible and open to various opportunities.
I was under the impression that everyone on this board was either a lawyer or a data analytics type - my bad. :(

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
He's 185 in the 247 Composite, which is where he meteorically leapt to after those HS performances, top 150 on Rivals I believe. That's exactly why I'm optimistic about him. He was a zero-star, without even a prospect page on a couple of sites when he committed. Great job by OA and BU to find and close on him.

Or at least a beach house....

Deleted member 29907

D

Ha, dude thinks they are Kentucky...

Meet Tre Mitchell
... He’s taking an official visit to Illinois next weekend and then plans to wait and see who comes into the picture before scheduling his final two official visits.

There’s plenty of time for Mizzou to get into the picture.

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY
Griffin is going to be good, so many sons of NBA players have been overlooked and turned out to be studs (Seth Curry, Steph Curry, Canyon Barry, Larry Nance Jr, Gary Payton Jr, etc.) Of course you can find some counter examples, but based on his production on the court and pedigree I am really high on his potential.

Deleted member 643761

D
You have feelings but no evidence. That kinda tells us all we need to know.

And of course we can tell kids no. Not sure why you think we can't

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
If Underwood and company did not go after top 100 players, we would be hearing the Monday morning quarterbacks angst in not recruiting top talent. Essentially, there is no winning with many of you as you all want instant success which is not realistic given the hole that was dug for our program both in basketball and football.

Let's be very clear: There is not an Illini fan on the planet who demands instant success. All those folks stopped being fans, oh, TEN YEARS AGO. We the most ridiculously forgiving, patient, die hard fans around. Even Cubs fans line up behind us these days!

Do we want success? Hell yes. Are we super duper anxious and desperate for it? Yes. But it's because we've been patient for so long and at some point, that patience runs out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8213

D

Right. No clue if he's underrated, seems somewhat unlikely, but I'll take guys with that kind of trajectory late in HS everytime over guys that start out in the 20s and fall like a rock as we've had a few times in the past.

Yeah, good post. This is a pro's son, and his dad was a tough as nails pro as well. I think the kid's future is really bright. He's got an all around game. I second the up and coming big comment. We're in on a bunch, hopefully one likes what he sees in CU,

Also remember, just as in sales, maybe your pitch is outstanding, your product good, but the client goes a different direction. Then next year they call you back, disappointed with their original choice, to give you an opportunity.

Maybe Liddell will be miserable in Ohio. I know many people there who are.
tenor.gif
For those at tOSU that are miserable.....$$$$ will make things good again:cool:

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh

All the better if you think it gives UI a realistic shot at his brother in 2021.

IllFanInMi

I
I love this comparing sales to recruiting, IMO it’s apples oranges. Sure, go for the big account, hope for the grand slam. But, If your company told you that you have 10 sales calls to make, and each of those accounts can only choose one supplier out of the 300+ suppliers in the country, and of those 300+, there are a very small percentage that dominate the market and FAR out perform the rest, how would you allocate your man hours? And oh by the way, once you make 10 sales calls in person, you can only email prospects after that, which has proven to be a very unsuccessful way to close a deal.

Recruiting within the confines of the NCAA is very similar to the fantasy football roster I helped my 12 year old daughter with for her math class project. 50 million budget, guys like Gurley and Bell go for 35 million, and you need 16 players. Well, I dug deep, stayed away from the top tier players and found the sleepers to compliment one or two tier 2 priced guys. Guess what, she leads her class after week five and all the boys with the one tier 1 guy who blew their budget are hurting.

I’m all for shooting for the stars and trying to flip a lean, but when you have OV limits and the experts are getting it right the majority of the time, you have to be conservative, or realist with the targets you expend resources on. As Obelix says, JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.