Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From watching last year and studying BU’s offense while at his previous stops, this is my idea of how the offense works for bigs.

If the ball is in the short-corner, the high post guy can cut to the ball-side block for a post up when not setting a screen for a perimeter guy. Or cut to the opposite block for a lob.

Any other time our bigs would post is if they work from the high-post or if they come down and set a screen for the initial cutter so that the defense switches a wing/guard onto him. The ball would then be thrown back up-top and then downlow.

With the added length on our perimeter, guys like Kip, Ayo, Jones, Griffin are likely going to be in more post-up spots than many of our bigs, which is another reason why our offense should be better this year (and Damonte forgot to mention him earlier). Along with the added ability to post up, it helps to have the added length so that when our bigs are backing someone down, the ball is more likely to be thrown downlow.

Last year we had some size with Alstork and Smith, but they either weren’t thrown the ball, or were too indecisive in those spots and looked lost/uncomfortable.

We need bigs who can run the floor, have good lateral quickness, and are comfortable setting screens and with the ball 12-15 feet from the basket. I think Kane has a lot of potential there, Giorgi was recruited heavily because of his comfort level in that spot as he played on the perimeter and the high-post frequently in high school.

Liddell would have been the absolute perfect recruit, but we missed him. Obviously added size is a bonus, but Underwood has proven that his system works with undersized bigs.

Give me a class of Shannon+ 2 bigs that are long and comfortable on the perimeter and i’m happy. It’s cliche but stars don’t matter, it’s all about fit! The last regime struck out on talent and couldn’t get guys who fit.

Coach BU also utilizes post ups with the second cutter action, where instead of going to the nearby corner, his man seals off on the now strong side block.

Since the 4 perimeter spots are "positionless" the bigger guards can draw attraction down low.

What I'm excited for this year is the action I described above, but now with the legitimate opportunity to kick out if the defense over helps and shoot a three.

There are several legitimate three-point shooters on the team and the second cutter post action can definitely open up some strong looks.

I've been studying Coach BU and his spread offense for quite some time, and love the versatility and options that are presented within his system.

So as a hypothetical, would folks here be willing to trade places with Kansas State (for the purposes of the 2019 recruiting class only)? They have four guys signed up and are done for the time being, but only one is a fringe top-100 player and the rest are in the 300s.

I believe the answer you get will be "no." No one would want to trade with KState. We want that home run recruiting class.

DeeForThr33 said:
Give me a class of Shannon+ 2 bigs that are long and comfortable on the perimeter and i’m happy. It’s cliche but stars don’t matter, it’s all about fit! The last regime struck out on talent and couldn’t get guys who fit.

From that perspective, the woefully late coming together of the last recruiting class (as some might put it :thumb: ) actually ended up quite well on paper with a class of Ayo, Giorgi, Griffin, Tevian, Feliz, Kane, and Higgs (not including DeLaRosa). That is why the Higgs injury could be rather significant down the road. I don't know how that will bode for his future or future recruiting. We all know that landing a Tshiebwe, Liddell, or Timme practically means the Illini are back, and that next step can be taken in the conference rankings all because of the inside presence provided by a quality big and how that affects the power aspect/inside game.

Yes, the whiffing looks terrible. It is head-scratching why OA and others cannot reel in the big fish and are having to persuade Matic Vesel to try a year of USA basketball. But there is just this feeling that the staff could be getting close. We just don't know how close, although things don't ultimately look very good.

I believe the answer you get will be "no." No one would want to trade with KState. We want that home run recruiting class.
Well, I could have asked if folks would like to trade places with Ohio State, but that wouldn't have led to a terribly interesting conversation.

Coach Walker was in Danville last Sunday for a JUCO tournament. Wabash Valley's Levi Cook is a 6'10" 280 lbs post player and former DePaul recruit that Illinois may have some interest .

haasi

New York
If I can venture a prediction -- crystal balls all going to FSU, then last minute some hot rumors that Shannon is actually coming here, perhaps followed by some crystal balls switching to Illini, this board goes into a tizzy, Shannon picks FSU.

100% accurate or something less than that?

Coach Walker was in Danville last Sunday for a JUCO tournament. Wabash Valley's Levi Cook is a 6'10" 280 lbs post player and former DePaul recruit that Illinois may have some interest .

Too big, good post moves, very good passer....WVU recruit at one time.

If I can venture a prediction -- crystal balls all going to FSU, then last minute some hot rumors that Shannon is actually coming here, perhaps followed by some crystal balls switching to Illini, this board goes into a tizzy, Shannon picks FSU.

100% accurate or something less than that?

Exactly correct except there won't be any crystal balls switching back to Illinois, it will all be a fantasy of this board.

Jalen Graham 6-9 3 * from Arizona....has Illinois interest from Peach Jam....list a ton of West Coast schools and GCU, overall looks to be a good prospect though. Yea Yea a 3 star I know...

Jason Jitobah is ranked lower FYI...

They should recruit this kid...he's pretty fly for a white guy!

Ivy league schools

Blaise Keita? I mean where we gonna get our bigs at this point...3* uncommitted mobile guys....trust the process they said...:cautious:

About, depending on growth plates this can change :)

He is really a SF, needs to improve his shot and tighten his handles. But gives you extreme effort, energy, combined with athleticism. A lot of his points are hustle points based on effort.

I've seen a few games of his and he shot great. It wasn't pretty but it was going in.

Looks like a plethora of CB's for Walker to the U. This picture must have done it.

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 11.05.12 PM.png

How about some Sammy Hunter...little EJ Liddell, a Little Draymond, and some Wes Unseld in there...now if he can get out of Canada and Jamaica...

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
Resolution:

Our staff is disorganized, reactive, and overall, below average on the recruiting front.

I’m ready to hear arguments for the affirmative and the negative.

Resolution:

Our staff is disorganized, reactive, and overall, below average on the recruiting front.

It has little to do with being disorganized, reactive, etc. Coaches and staff around the country work hard all year around, including the Illinois staff and coaches in previous regimes. What differentiates coaches in recruiting is ability to close, you will not outrecruit opponents with strategy or hard work. You need to close the deal.

So far our overall recruiting has been below expectations, no doubt about that. I think Chin and Orlando are very capable recruiters though, but eventually recruits know that they will play for the head coach. I am not sure about the recruiting ability of BU. I have always claimed that his success (as with any other UI coach) will heavily depend on recruiting, the ability to improve overall talent level without positional gaps. BU needs to turn it around very soon.

Resolution:

Affirmative: Ayo (hiring a coach that ultimately yields only one highly ranked player, if that happens), Giorgi, (missing out on Flo Thamba, then scrambling and missing Valdir Manuel, only to full court press on his teammate and the last possible big man from the Patrick school), Mark Smith ( retaining Walker for a single player that didn't really fit and ultimately transferred just because he was Mr. Bball),
Andres Feliz (digging into juco after missing on Ramey), DeLaRosa (plan Z transfer).

Negative: Alan Griffin (possible diamond in the rough that staff got in on before Syracuse, others could show enough interest)

Possible either way: Tevian Jones and Samba Kane (neither were the plan A recruits like Nolley and Castleton, but are possibly impressive gets, and if "back up plans," show some recruiting chops.)

Not saying that's how everything really happened just arguments someone could make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.