Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice that every team recruiting Timme have great recruiting classes coming in for 2018. And we have no one... :rolleyes:
It's hard to convince someone they can come in and win if you don't have anyone else coming in with him. All of those teams are only missing a post player like Timme too. No way we can beat out the likes of Gonzaga, Arizona, etc...

I notice that every team recruiting Timme have great recruiting classes coming in for 2018. And we have no one... :rolleyes:
It's hard to convince someone they can come in and win if you don't have anyone else coming in with him. All of those teams are only missing a post player like Timme too. No way we can beat out the likes of Gonzaga, Arizona, etc...
We'll have some great guards next year to get him the ball, several athletic wings, plus a system that's a great fit for him. We have to take our best shot at this kid.

That grey jersey, woof.

888.jpg

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Things have looked bleak, but the good news is that all we really need is one good big to make this recruiting year a success. Anything beyond that is gravy. Really hope Timme is the guy...he would be our Ethan Happ. Yes, getting TJS would be a big plus as well, but he is not as dire a need, even if a very attractive addition.

If it is true that Oscar is telling the various schools on Wednesday, leaks will occur long before Timme arrives. Also, I hope people aren't disappointed but it's not looking good for TSJ.

How do you know?

JJE

Bethalto, IL
We all know the Illini fan base is crazy on Twitter, but I just looked at his likes on his announcement of his visit this weekend. In 12 hours he has 1.5k likes which is equal to all the other schools he’s visited combined. I hope we knock it out of the park when he’s here this weekend. I’d love to see him play here.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
Timme is definitely not the "next option". Just because of the timing of the visit doesn't mean he wasn't always the preferred target. I forget which analyst it was but back during summer AAU one of them commented that if there is a better fit for Underwood's system they haven't seen it.

Also, he has a pretty deep understanding of Underwood's system and how it works for his game. Underwood has been recruiting him for a long time and hopefully that helps with this one. This is a big one because as good as OT and KC are they are not the fit to Underwood's system that Timme is. I'm sure Underwood (and any coach in America) would adapt to players like OT and KC but Timme gives him a very good player that also naturally fits.

After that add TS, Q, or Walker and move on. If they can't land one of those three they are likely looking for a wing in the spring.

Oscar and Timme could absolutely end up on the same team, getting Oscar does not occlude a team from grabbing another big (especially Timme)...

Theoretically, I think their play styles (at least from what I've read and seen in highlights) would be an absolute nightmare to defend at the same time.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Oscar and Timme could absolutely end up on the same team, getting Oscar does not occlude a team from grabbing another big (especially Timme)...

Sadly, that's going to be a moot point.* Big ups for using occlude! (had to look it up, a rare occurrence).

* - I'd love to be wrong.

Deleted member 14522

D
Hope Timme has a public workout and the fans fill it up at Ubben. If we land him and no one else for the fall signing period it would still be a huge success for the staff. Start stacking players of Ayo/Timme caliber types in consecutive classes and we will be in good shape.

Deleted member 746094

D
Hope Timme has a public workout and the fans fill it up at Ubben. If we land him and no one else for the fall signing period it would still be a huge success for the staff. Start stacking players of Ayo/Timme caliber types in consecutive classes and we will be in good shape.

I think a good showing at these workouts speaks volumes about our fan base. As to where our presence on Twitter probably feels a little creepy to some recruits.

Either way, I don’t get too excited about our chances of landing a player the caliber of Timme, but if we were to be aligned to get a fall commitment from any of them he would be the one.

Frazier, Da'Monte, Ayo, Jones, we already have a bunch of young talent at the guard/wings, plus Kipper on board at the 4 for another year, and basically need a center to top things off. You don't just look at the incoming class, you look at the young talent already on the roster.

t7nich

Central IL
Over/under for fall signees is currently at 0.5

Status
Not open for further replies.