Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Piper just flipped his Crystal Ball for TSJ from UI to foggy.
Wouldn't be surprised if we pull out of this one. TSJ is an interesting prospect, but there are red flags all over the place at this point. If I had to guess, I'd bet he ends up back at DePaul.

sacraig

The desert
Piper just flipped his Crystal Ball for TSJ from UI to foggy.

giphy.gif

Piper says there's an open practice at 11 this Saturday and suggests people should stay till the end to see something - I assume that's Timme. If anyone out there is a student or knows a student, I'd suggest they try to get some kids there. We are competing directly with the "away" football game against Wisconsin. The crowd to see Guerrier was not great during an "away" game, and there were no students there.

Piper says there's an open practice at 11 this Saturday and suggests people should stay till the end to see something - I assume that's Timme. If anyone out there is a student or knows a student, I'd suggest they try to get some kids there. We are competing directly with the "away" football game against Wisconsin. The crowd to see Guerrier was not great during an "away" game, and there were no students there.
As a student, and one who went to every home basketball game for three years, there was almost no chance I was gonna either walk or bus down to Ubben to watch some recruit shoot hoops for an hour. Maybe I was lazy, but I was most definitely less apathetic towards the program than I am now.

College kids have better ways of spending a Saturday afternoon, even diehard basketball fans.

Deleted member 643761

D
Wouldn't be surprised if we pull out of this one. TSJ is an interesting prospect, but there are red flags all over the place at this point. If I had to guess, I'd bet he ends up back at DePaul.

Because of our depth at the wing, I'd like to think we'll stay in it. If he doesn't pan out or we lose him in the end, we're still looking solid at the position. I think we can afford to take a flyer on him.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
As a student, and one who went to every home basketball game for three years, there was almost no chance I was gonna either walk or bus down to Ubben to watch some recruit shoot hoops for an hour. Maybe I was lazy, but I was most definitely less apathetic towards the program than I am now.

College kids have better ways of spending a Saturday afternoon, even diehard basketball fans.

How the Krush has fallen.... this would have never been the case back in 02-06.

So Timme's final 5 for the November 14th announcement date are: Texas A&M, Alabama, Gonzaga, Arizona and Illinois. An interesting 5 to say the least.

Very interesting...

Texas A&M - will have 6 PF/C on the roster next year, 3 of which are really good and they have another committed for 2019 in Tyreek Smith - https://247sports.com/player/tyreek-smith-46046798/

Alabama - will have 5 PF/C on the roster next year, 2 of which are really good and they have no big guys committed for 2019, but they will be loaded at the guard and wing spots.

Gonzaga - will have 4 PF/C on the roster next year, Petrusev is really good and they are high on him and they have 1 big guy committed for 2019, top 50 player Anton Watson - https://247sports.com/player/anton-watson-46047757/

Arizona - will have 5 PF/C on the roster next year, Chase Jeter will be a senior, but they have a 7 footer coming in with Christian Koloko https://247sports.com/player/christian-koloko-46051032/ and they also have two top 15 players in Josh Green and Nico Mannion coming in and they will take a lot of shots. https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Green-46037279/, https://247sports.com/player/nico-mannion-46035982/

Illinois - will have 2 PF/C on the roster next year, Samba Kane and Giorgi. Obviously no commitments. Frazier, and Ayo at the guard spots and they need a big guy really bad.

I think if Timme is looking for a system that will fit his play style perfectly, automatic starting spot, and relationship with the coach (BU was his first major offer at OSU), then Timme should look no further than CU.

When was the last time we got 3 top 50 recruits in one class?

We got 2 in 2010, almost 2 in 2003, definitely haven’t done it this millennium. It was rough looking back at Bruce’s classes around 2005. To anyone claiming winning recruits itself, you’re wrong.

Give out Littyville sweatshirts and watch attendance soar.:thumb:

sacraig

The desert
We got 2 in 2010, almost 2 in 2003, definitely haven’t done it this millennium. It was rough looking back at Bruce’s classes around 2005. To anyone claiming winning recruits itself, you’re wrong.

I am not sure anyone has claimed that winning recruits itself, but it's not really that controversial that winning is a big help for recruiting assuming the coach can actually capitalize on it.

Deleted member 746094

D
“Almost 3...”? Not sure what you mean by that?

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Right now, this forum is Lucy, I’m Charlie Brown, and all the recruits are footballs...I am hoping that BU and the staff are Graham Gano.

Certainly willing to give Coach Underwood some time but at some point he has to get a couple of quality big recruits or there is very little chance
for the Illini to compete with the top of the Big 10 on a yearly basis. The current roster at the best includes a couple project bigs and if that doesn't change
the program is going to continue to struggle regardless of what we recruit at other positions

Certainly willing to give Coach Underwood some time but at some point he has to get a couple of quality big recruits or there is very little chance
for the Illini to compete with the top of the Big 10 on a yearly basis.

I'm glad you're willing to give him time since he has only coached 1 year and recruited 1.5 classes at this point.

No one is happy we don't have a top-flight class already signed/committed.

The difference is between those that believe we can still be on an upward trajectory with where we are today and those who believe the sky is falling already.

Right now, this forum is Lucy, I’m Charlie Brown, and all the recruits are footballs...I am hoping that BU and the staff are Graham Gano.
Need Peter Griffin to roadhouse kick Lucy so Charlie Brown can kick the football finally lol.

“Almost 3...”? Not sure what you mean by that?

Almost 2. Brian Randle was #52. The point of adding the occurrences of two top 50 players was to show how rare it was regardless of the original poster’s request for three.

I'm glad you're willing to give him time since he has only coached 1 year and recruited 1.5 classes at this point.

No one is happy we don't have a top-flight class already signed/committed.

The difference is between those that believe we can still be on an upward trajectory with where we are today and those who believe the sky is falling already.
Omg, thank you. It's like people continually forget Brad landed a 5* Chicago PG, which definitely didn't happen under the previous 2 regimes...I'm definitely cautiously concerned but Tevian was a HECK of a get when we got him. Samba reclassified and would have been a top 100 player in this class for certain. Georgi and Griffin seem to have actual basketball skills and I like them on the roster. One commitment in the coming weeks and all this boo-hooing will subside, which would be lovely

Omg, thank you. It's like people continually forget Brad landed a 5* Chicago PG, which definitely didn't happen under the previous 2 regimes...I'm definitely cautiously concerned but Tevian was a HECK of a get when we got him. Samba reclassified and would have been a top 100 player in this class for certain. Georgi and Griffin seem to have actual basketball skills and I like them on the roster. One commitment in the coming weeks and all this boo-hooing will subside, which would be lovely

Funny thing is the person (outside of Ayo) that knew only by his dance moves may end up being the best early on and long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.