Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,002      
Guts telling me that 2019 class will be Mitchell, Gurrier, Walker, with an outside chance for another....or it might just be dinner time...:unsure:

#1,004      
His Mom and Dad's divorce lawyers are working on a new announcement date and location. We need to be patient, negotiations are fluid.
POTD, at least as to TSJ news, unfortunately probably true, but under the theory that no settlement is good unless both parties are unhappy, sounds like CU..

#1,005      

whatahack

St. Peters MO

Attachments

• 25752565464205.jpeg
    25752565464205.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 195
#1,006      

sacraig

The desert
Someone back home has to buy it....unless you are being underhanded and willing to drive it on UofA campus during all of their OV by recruits?

Timme will be here soon...

#1,007      
POTD, at least as to TSJ news, unfortunately probably true, but under the theory that no settlement is good unless both parties are unhappy, sounds like CU..

Interestingly, Mom is the one that tweeted about the November 1 postponement.

#1,009      
The worst part about this forum is when people don’t let go of recruits. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now with OT but people are still hoping for him. We’ve already gone through a meltdown/grievance period for him. But some people will hang on all the way to the actual commitment, and then meltdown...rehashing the grievance period most of us have already gone through. This has happened with a lot of recruits in the past as well. (Yes I know recruiting is fluid, anything can happen, yada yada.)

I say we all agree to only have one grievance/meltdown period per recruit. If you miss it because you’re “remaining optimistic” then too bad...you don’t get to let out your emotions on said recruit at a later date.:peace:

#1,012      
The worst part about this forum is when people don’t let go of recruits. The writing has been on the wall for awhile now with OT but people are still hoping for him. We’ve already gone through a meltdown/grievance period for him. But some people will hang on all the way to the actual commitment, and then meltdown...rehashing the grievance period most of us have already gone through. This has happened with a lot of recruits in the past as well. (Yes I know recruiting is fluid, anything can happen, yada yada.)

I say we all agree to only have one grievance/meltdown period per recruit. If you miss it because you’re “remaining optimistic” then too bad...you don’t get to let out your emotions on said recruit at a later date.:peace:

Or we could not have any grievance/meltdown and just move on to the next recruit. All in favor?

#1,013      
i wish recruiting wasn’t so important to a team. I feel like I have to follow it but all these stupid recruiting trends. Announcement dates, announcement videos, hat ceremonies, and omg- “blessed to receive an offer from...” and “respect my decision..” I hate those two phrases. Why TF does everyone have to say the same stuff?

#1,015      
Wouldn't be surprised if we pull out of this one. TSJ is an interesting prospect, but there are red flags all over the place at this point. If I had to guess, I'd bet he ends up back at DePaul.

What are the red flags? I have not heard heard of any red flags other than we may lose him.

#1,018      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

How about we decide to let each recruitment take it's course, support the student athlete and cheer for our favorite team? OK, I know, not gonna happen. Just wanted to make a suggestion. :) Since Cliffmas (where I swore violently, in front of my wife), I have decided to move on quickly. I think it is healthier for me, at least I tell myself that.

#1,019      

peace davids

Colorado
How the Krush has fallen.... this would have never been the case back in 02-06.

Krush got cited for Illegal (targeted) recruiting during the Livingston, Tyler Hansbrough, and David Palmer recruiting visits. We were essentially going too far over the top for these kids. We would surround the courts during practices, post signs over the entire campus, and station people strategically at known locations and tailgates to take pictures and fawn over these guys. It was WAY too much.

After Livingston, I believe, was when the official word came down that we couldn’t do that any longer. They closed Ubben for awhile for these practices because of it.

#1,021      
Timme is definitely not the "next option". Just because of the timing of the visit doesn't mean he wasn't always the preferred target. I forget which analyst it was but back during summer AAU one of them commented that if there is a better fit for Underwood's system they haven't seen it.

Also, he has a pretty deep understanding of Underwood's system and how it works for his game. Underwood has been recruiting him for a long time and hopefully that helps with this one. This is a big one because as good as OT and KC are they are not the fit to Underwood's system that Timme is. I'm sure Underwood (and any coach in America) would adapt to players like OT and KC but Timme gives him a very good player that also naturally fits.
After that add TS, Q, or Walker and move on. If they can't land one of those three they are likely looking for a wing in the spring.

OT fits any system

#1,022      

sacraig

The desert
Krush got cited for Illegal (targeted) recruiting during the Livingston, Tyler Hansbrough, and David Palmer recruiting visits. We were essentially going too far over the top for these kids. We would surround the courts during practices, post signs over the entire campus, and station people strategically at known locations and tailgates to take pictures and fawn over these guys. It was WAY too much.

After Livingston, I believe, was when the official word came down that we couldn’t do that any longer. They closed Ubben for awhile for these practices because of it.

Fair enough, but this misses the point. The point is that Krush we're fanatics who would do this sort of thing, but now, that Krush member said he or she had better things to do on a Saturday. That sentiment would have been unreal when I was in Krush.

#1,023      
I think a good showing at these workouts speaks volumes about our fan base. As to where our presence on Twitter probably feels a little creepy to some recruits.

Either way, I don’t get too excited about our chances of landing a player the caliber of Timme, but if we were to be aligned to get a fall commitment from any of them he would be the one.

I disagree, most of these kids love the attention. Some people get a little weird, but most of the time its just passionate fans which the kids appreciate.

#1,024      

peace davids

Colorado
Fair enough, but this misses the point. The point is that Krush we're fanatics who would do this sort of thing, but now, that Krush member said he or she had better things to do on a Saturday. That sentiment would have been unreal when I was in Krush.

Yeah. My point was that we were “too involved”. Which is an odd thought nowadays.

But, winning solves these issues. As much as we want to think Krush was rabid in the early 2000s, we actually had to call and personally recruit members in 2002-2003 to fill the floor seats. That was the year after Frankie and Co. left and the team wasn’t supposed to be “great” (even with Dee, Deron, Augie, Aaron Spears, and Kyle Wilson coming in as freshmen). That was with BTPOY Brian Cook.

Two years later, we had record membership. With wins, comes enthusiasm and involvement. It just takes that one spark.

#1,025      

Having a meltdown over a recruit is ridiculous, but acting like you know 100% where a recruit is going is also ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.