Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,102      
Soo....I'm guessing after reading the last several pages of very little recruiting talk that we're all resigned to the fact that Oscar is not going to pick Illinois with his big announcement date set for just tomorrow?

#1,103      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Soo....I'm guessing after reading the last several pages of very little recruiting talk that we're all resigned to the fact that Oscar is not going to pick Illinois with his big announcement date set for just tomorrow?

Not worth betting a beach house on. Never was. Would love to be shocked.

#1,104      

Deleted member 746094

D
Hurry up and wait...

#1,105      
Not worth betting a beach house on. Never was. Would love to be shocked.

Would be a surprise if he picks Kentucky. It would be a monumental surprise if he picks Illinois. Smart money on West Virginia.

#1,107      

Deleted member 654622

D
The bow tie is a clue...I have no idea what kind...but it's a clue non-the-less. Everyone please interpret.
My interpretation is that if they all were thrown in the thunda dome, Brad would be the one walking out at the end!

#1,108      
Would be a surprise if he picks Kentucky. It would be a monumental surprise if he picks Illinois. Smart money on West Virginia.
Do we get credit for bringing him for an official visit? The issue isn't about who we target, right?

#1,109      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Do we get credit for bringing him for an official visit? The issue isn't about who we target, right?
We should have known better and saved the visit for someone who wants to be at Illinois

#1,113      
We should have known better and saved the visit for someone who wants to be at Illinois

With OT we knew that his inner circle was going to push West Virginia as hard as possible making this almost impossible for anyone to really have a chance and the staff knew that prior to his visit. The only schools capable of pulling a kid from that type of situation is a blue blood. I think the staff will get a top frontcourt player at some point, but this seemed like a waste of time from the get-go. We get no points from second or third place in recruiting, even if we're able to get them to officially visit. I'm not saying that all top 50 targets are unreasonable to go after, but the staff's confidence in being able to land a target like OT is a little concerning.

Last edited:
#1,114      
With OT we knew that his inner circle was going to push West Virginia as hard as possible making this almost impossible for anyone to really have a chance and the staff knew that prior to his visit. The only schools capable of pulling a kid from that type of situation is a blue blood. I think the staff will get a top frontcourt player at some point, but this seemed like a waste of time from the get-go. We get no points from second or third place in recruiting, even if we're able to get them to officially visit. I'm not saying that all top 50 targets are unreasonable to go after, but the staff's confidence in being able to land a target like OT is a little concerning.

Yes, why even bother with talented recruits who may not come to Illinois. Let's go after the talented recruits who really want to be at Illinois.

#1,117      

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Sorry, didn't have my sarcastic font on with my last post.

#1,119      

I agree mostly, but am I that crazy to think we had more than just a snowballs chance at some point in his recruitment? Why the heck would you ever waste your time in Champaign, IL if you aren't seriously considering their school?

Honestly, if a top 25 kid who plays your greatest position of need wants to OV, you let him OV, barring some super weird and tinfoil hat backed reasoning.

#1,121      
Obelix, you tend to point out people's reading comprehension whenever they misquote you or say something that was not said. I would encourage you to take your own advice this time.

On the contrary, I believe I understood you perfectly. You seem to think that going after Oscar T is a waste of time because he favored WVU. Who are the talented recruits who favor Illinois? Who are they? You may find a pre-existing relationship like Ayo once in a blue moon, but hardly enough to be successful in recruiting. I talk to some coaches and players all the time. The set of talented recruits who will favor Illinois is currently non-existent. You have to try to convince them, and try to close. If your ability to close fails you, that is another problem, but giving up before you even try defines losers, a defeatist attitude.

Oscar T is no different than other recruits of his caliber. He simply isn't. Whenever you have a chance to make a very short list for a recruit his caliber and set up an official visit, you do it and try to close. Every single time.

#1,122      

westms77

Gilbert, AZ

We are the Cal Naughton Jr. of recruiting

1539961115725.png

#1,123      
On the contrary, I believe I understood you perfectly. You seem to think that going after Oscar T is a waste of time because he favored WVU. Who are the talented recruits who favor Illinois? Who are they? You may find a pre-existing relationship like Ayo once in a blue moon, but hardly enough to be successful in recruiting. I talk to some coaches and players all the time. The set of talented recruits who will favor Illinois is currently non-existent. You have to try to convince them, and try to close. If your ability to close fails you, that is another problem, but giving up before you even try defines losers, a defeatist attitude.

Oscar T is no different than other recruits of his caliber. He simply isn't. Whenever you have a chance to make a very short list for a recruit his caliber and set up an official visit, you do it and try to close. Every single time.
I don't think Newman was saying all top 25/50 guys are a waste, he was saying specifically about OT that his handlers have been well known to be set on WVU - and due to that, it was a waste compared to someone like DT and other top talent that may not come but don't have an obvious set of advisors pushing them a certain way. That's reading the fine print - and what Newman was saying about not putting words in his mouth. I get his point and yours.

It is interesting though, as someone else pointed out, that OT would come to Champaign with an OV. It's not like he's taking a trip to the West Coast or Florida for girls and beach...he decided to travel to Champaign, so I guess from that standpoint, maybe there was a glimmer of hope and worth the OV.

#1,124      
Walker and Oscar committing tomorrow, Timme on campus for an official. Anyone want to step up and predict how many we get?

#1,125      

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.