Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,651      

JJB

Chicago, IL
Will he sign in November?

Contenders: Florida State, Kansas State, New Mexico, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Washington State and others.

Early or late: Late.

Breakdown: January has moved around a bit during his high school days, but he had a big summer that turned some heads. He's big, athletic and pretty skilled with upside. If he can prove to be a consistent performer this winter, he could see a tremendous boost for his already strong stock.

Where things stand with 2019's uncommitted Rivals150 centers

#1,659      
So I guess Timme is no longer an option. Bummer.
I should point out at this that I have no "inside" information, and am merely making my observation on the basis of the time that lapsed between Timme announcing his recruiting process as being over and Underwood offering another 2019 C. It is not necessarily a matter of course that recruits will let unpicked schools know they are unpicked, but it isn't difficult to solve for x in this particular instance.

#1,660      
I should point out at this that I have no "inside" information, and am merely making my observation on the basis of the time that lapsed between Timme announcing his recruiting process as being over and Underwood offering another 2019 C. It is not necessarily a matter of course that recruits will let unpicked schools know they are unpicked, but it isn't difficult to solve for x in this particular instance.
That’s one hell of an assumption. Do you think that Chin just immediately flew to California within minutes of Timme announcing this or something?

#1,662      

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

I'm in no way confident on Timme, but you're making quite a leap here.

#1,663      

Deleted member 643761

D
I hope not, but it certainly could. They'd both play the same position for us.
It would be nice to get more than ine guy at a position.

Why do people insist on making these connections. It could very well be a contingent offer. So many possibilities

#1,665      
I'm thinking we would love to sign 3 frontcourt recruits with different skill sets. Timme is a bit of a hybrid. He's got the handles of a guard and the post moves of a very skilled center. His size makes him best suited to play defense as a forward.

#1,671      
They would have taken Shannon, Tshiebwe, and Liddell. Pretty sure they would take a class of Timme, January, and Payton.

How about Timme, January, and Days (his brother is at Illinois-Springfield?) Think we lose on Timme though.

#1,672      
I'm in no way confident on Timme, but you're making quite a leap here.
That may very well be. And I am rather wrongly signaling that I think this is a simple cause-and-effect Timme->January situation. I do recognize that recruiting is more nuanced than that. These are highly-skilled professionals that recognize the need for plans B and C (and for Illinois, plans D, and E, and F...).

Nonetheless, I find it difficult to ignore the Timme implications in the face of this January offer and the renewed interest in Payton. If the staff feels confident on Timme, they're not going to blow the time and money to fly out to Cali.

#1,673      

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
That may very well be. And I am rather wrongly signaling that I think this is a simple cause-and-effect Timme->January situation. I do recognize that recruiting is more nuanced than that. These are highly-skilled professionals that recognize the need for plans B and C (and for Illinois, plans D, and E, and F...).

Nonetheless, I find it difficult to ignore the Timme implications in the face of this January offer and the renewed interest in Payton. If the staff feels confident on Timme, they're not going to blow the time and money to fly out to Cali.

I understand the logic of your statement, and much like I do with my wife, I will ignore it completely.

Honestly though, even though it makes sense, this also could be someone they were scouting prior to the recent visit by Timme, and just had time to fly out now that they have concluded his OV. We obviously need more than one big, and I don't believe a Timme commit would have any impact on whether you take January.

#1,674      
When a player cancels all remaining OVs, that is often a good sign for the last school visited. Knowing the recent recruiting luck of the Illini, however, it may mean that Timme has decided to give up basketball in favor of a lucrative career in competitive woodchopping, or something equally obscure.

Status
Not open for further replies.