Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great passer. The Illini might have stole one.

Durant type talent....this kid will be something for us. I predict he will grow into a "4" type that we have not seen before. Augie but with a better outside shot, by the time he fills into his body and Fletch gets ahold of him...well we got one for sure!

Didn't not know that Hawkins roots were that deep into Chicago. His Dad played at Carver and then off to a JUCO and ultimately ended up at SDSU. His 2 Uncle's are legends in Chicago BB. Tommy of ND/Lakers fame and Larry the legendary HOF coach at Carver. Larry coached Cazzie Russell. RIP, both Larry and Tommy.

Last edited:

Deleted member 649710

D
Durant type talent....this kid will be something for us. I predict he will grow into a "4" type that we have not seen before. Augie but with a better outside shot, by the time he fills into his body and Fletch gets ahold of him...well we got one for sure!
I think he is more of a Durant than Bron, but with better shooting ability than Steph and the court vision of Stockton. And I hear his growth plates are still open.

Great passer. The Illini might have stole one.

Yeah well K.K. stole 8... against a college team (or a high school with college in their name which would be confusing). Regardless 8 steals... in a game... that's nuts.

Didn't not know that Hawkins roots were that deep into Chicago. His Dad played at Carver and then off to a JUCO and ultimately ended up at SDSU. His 2 Uncle's are legends in Chicago BB. Tommy of ND/Lakers fame and Larry the legendary HOF coach at Carver. Larry coached Cazzie Russell. RIP, both Larry and Tommy.

Almost as legendary as Cazzie Russell is a kid who single-handedly won Carver their first title...a year after Russell left. And though that kid is the answer to IHSA's most popular trivia question...few here know his name....Anthony Smedley. That moment is one of my most vivid memories of state championship action as I was there for every session in 63, 64, and 65. Most of the crowd was in stunned silence as Smedley stole the ball from Centralia'a consensus All-Stater Herb Williams, picked up the ball near the basket at his right end line, and nailed a jumper at the buzzer. No one, including me, thought Centralia could be beaten. They beat us in the sectional finals, but we led them 11-3 early. Then they put on their famous full court press and won easily. If Hawkins Dad coached Russell, he also coached Smedley, who was always a bench player.

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Almost as legendary as Cazzie Russell is a kid who single-handedly won Carver their first title...a year after Russell left. And though that kid is the answer to IHSA's most popular trivia question...few here know his name....Anthony Smedley. That moment is one of my most vivid memories of state championship action as I was there for every session in 63, 64, and 65. Most of the crowd was in stunned silence as Smedley stole the ball from Centralia'a consensus All-Stater Herb Williams, picked up the ball near the basket at his right end line, and nailed a jumper at the buzzer. No one, including me, thought Centralia could be beaten. They beat us in the sectional finals, but we led them 11-3 early. Then they put on their famous full court press and won easily. If Hawkins Dad coached Russell, he also coached Smedley, who was always a bench player.

Three second Smedley. IHSA still had the grainy video on their site a few years ago.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
YOU get a visit, YOU get a visit, YOU get a visit

VengefulWealthyAmericanmarten-size_restricted.gif

Ouch!! Right in the heart

Status
Not open for further replies.