Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first daw Curbelo at the Nike Hoop Summit game last year. The closest comparison is Mike Bibby of Arizona/Sacramento Kings. Not an uber athlete but high motor who knows the game. Can hit a varity of layups and good handles/passer.

Bibby was a top7 McAA and future pro. Curbelo is not, but that who comes to mind. Would love to hear a better comp.

Edit: Just watched Bibby high school highlights. I'm tripling down on the comparison. Small sample size, Bibby seemed to take the 3 more where as Curbelo goes for layups and midrange.
I'd be happy if he was as good as Dre in contributing. Looks as good or better in passing but tough to match Dre in taking it to the basket and finishing. Different type player however.

Second post: no real verification can be given, sorry.

After rushing the field yesterday and possibly witnessing the Curbelo commitment today, this weekend has felt pretty surreal.
Lol, I can't even imagine! This has been a significant weekend for our program and fans!

I first daw Curbelo at the Nike Hoop Summit game last year. The closest comparison is Mike Bibby of Arizona/Sacramento Kings. Not an uber athlete but high motor who knows the game. Can hit a varity of layups and good handles/passer.

Bibby was a top7 McAA and future pro. Curbelo is not, but that who comes to mind. Would love to hear a better comp.

Edit: Just watched Bibby high school highlights. I'm tripling down on the comparison. Small sample size, Bibby seemed to take the 3 more where as Curbelo goes for layups and midrange.

Steve Nash?

Right. OTOH. it would be a very loud and clear message that our recruiting is getting leaps and bounds better. Miller is one thing (Peoria kid, MIF standout), but Curbelo is a huge marker.

I agree in part with a few reservations.

Your point on Miller being a Peoria native is not lost, but for all intents and purposes, should be treated as a Chicago prep. I say this because Ayo opened the door for what hopes to be a MIF connection that will last as long as Chin and BU do what is legally right by both the players and the Irvins; without Ayo, there is likely no CBs for Miller to Illinois. Also, let us not forget the knock about us giving up on Chicago / not recruiting it hard enough.

Think about what BU and Co. have done thus far; we are far from perfect, but one recruit (Ayo) ... perhaps coupled with the emergence of Giorgi and his ability to, as noted, bring levity and joy to visitors ... has opened many doors. Kofi was the first big domino to fall, both literally and figuratively; that is where the marker was first placed. BU did a brilliant job with rounding out this class with transfers; we will see what they bring, but a year to learn the system and mesh with the team will be huge; yes, we could have added more bodies, but this team has balance with the hope that both TJ and AG mature and step up this year.

Do not underestimate the importance of Miller should he commit; it will be huge, irrespective of school, AAU team, or physical location. Curbelo (familial ties notwithstanding) does show how quickly we are getting players into what was a broken program. So, should we land both, not that I am writing off KKR to Arkansas, that is the huge marker. Landing two Top-50 (and rising) players is better than one, and will hopefully continue to make this an attractive program for Top-100 prep players. It would be a great close by the staff ... but to your original point about Miller, also consider the relationships that existed prior to this activity; great marker, albeit slightly tempered by preexisting relationships.

Second post: no real verification can be given, sorry.

After rushing the field yesterday and possibly witnessing the Curbelo commitment today, this weekend has felt pretty surreal.

I hope that you are right. Normally, I would say "show your work" ... now I ask ... have you any pictures from the game, tagged locations, etc. that could at least provide circumstantial evidence of what you claimed to have witnessed? Not a shot at you, just looking for a bit more.

I'd be happy if he was as good as Dre in contributing. Looks as good or better in passing but tough to match Dre in taking it to the basket and finishing. Different type player however.

Different player than Dre. Curbelo has proven to play with and against best high school and international players. Curbelo is a full time pg and playmaker.

I hope that you are right. Normally, I would say "show your work" ... now I ask ... have you any pictures from the game, tagged locations, etc. that could at least provide circumstantial evidence of what you claimed to have witnessed? Not a shot at you, just looking for a bit more.

You mean like this??
Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 11.55.17 PM.png

A cross between Nash and Durant, only better.

Curbelo as a junior held his own against the top 12 mcaa at nike hoop summit. Received 6th most minutes on squad. Kid is a player, comparison to Bibby is pretty close imho.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
This picture brings back some bad memories, i mean really, pleats were so out by then Josh.
Off topic but has Josh lost a lot of weight since he took over as AD? I saw him in person on the field after the football win, and he looked skinny.

Little different. This picture was a result of just a phone call, not an in person, family included, breakfast report (assuming we're not getting trolled). And with Curbelo, he's not at a school where Cuonzo has a sibling that's an administrator! Or does he? (his family might be subject to being expanded, as required.)

JJE

Bethalto, IL
I can verify that at the Ihotel curbelo and the entire staff were playing uno and when Curbelo called out uno the whole group of people started yelling and hugging. It was crazy, they must really love their card games.

Status
Not open for further replies.