Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got in from my field trip from Colorado Springs, and California.
Curbelo rumors, from what I’m hearing are accurate. Also heard Miller would like to play with Curbelo, according to Miller’s handlers. Can’t really verify that though since I don’t know who actually said it. (Info might coincide with any writers picking Miller to pick the Illini?)
Hats off to the staff for bringing in a good mix of kids this weekend to make a big sell.

sacraig

The desert
🙄 GAME CHANGING. without them our guard play looks pretty bleak with Ayo/Dre gone and then Trent gone the next year. landing these 2 would be HUGE. I'm not saying we will be in the final four next season with them. But we are in a MUCH better spot with them than without.

So.... game sustaining. Not changing.

ILL in IA

Iowa City

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191020-194824_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20191020-194824_Google.jpg
    667.6 KB · Views: 195

the fact that his name combines properly and that he was a college basketball player is too perfect

Then you must be really new to these boards.
I’ve been a fan since the early 70s and have seen a lot of burns and worse. I was referring to the announcement made earlier that had to be retracted. It sure looks like it’s going to happen, but fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Just got in from my field trip from Colorado Springs, and California.
Curbelo rumors, from what I’m hearing are accurate. Also heard Miller would like to play with Curbelo, according to Miller’s handlers. Can’t really verify that though since I don’t know who actually said it. (Info might coincide with any writers picking Miller to pick the Illini?)
Hats off to the staff for bringing in a good mix of kids this weekend to make a big sell.

May make sense the Miller statement of wanting to play alongside Curbleo...I think Miller weakest part of the game might be ball handling (full time), and with Curbelo creating space and shots for Miller, as well as handling the majority of ball handling when they are playing together, it is a win win for all. I thought I saw somewhere, where Miller stated that he needed to work on this aspect much more than any other part of his game. Curbelo is a true PG, Miller seems to be a PG/SG who is more dangerous in the half court.

May make sense the Miller statement of wanting to play alongside Curbleo...I think Miller weakest part of the game might be ball handling (full time), and with Curbelo creating space and shots for Miller, as well as handling the majority of ball handling when they are playing together, it is a win win for all. I thought I saw somewhere, where Miller stated that he needed to work on this aspect much more than any other part of his game. Curbelo is a true PG, Miller seems to be a PG/SG who is more dangerous in the half court.

You’re pigeon holing Miller here man. They both are fantastic guards who can handle the rock well. Curbelo is probably a more precise and intelligent passer but that’s only because Curbelo might be the best the passer in his class. Or at least at his position in the class. Miller is definitely a better shooter but gets to the rim at ease as well. I agree that they are a great fit together and Adam probably sees that, but Adam specifically said recently he was tired of being called a SG and I can’t help but agree. He’s a lead guard with PG and SG skills. That’s where basketball is now. Just like Adam shares the PG duties with Marcus Watson at Morgan Park and how Ayo shares with Trent, Adam and Curbelo can be a beautiful pair of whatever guards they want to be.

Best things about landing Curbelo (if we can close this):
  • We have a lot of high-upside scorers, both inside and outside threats, with no pass-first facilitators. Trent, Alan, Tev, BBV, Giorgi, Kofi will be better with Curbelo on the court, not to mention Miller.
  • Subsequently, he's the kind of player that other guys want to play with. He makes the team better and also sets them up to score. Seems the intangibles are definitely there. There could be a recruiting impact, as we may already be seeing with Miller.
  • His game plays great for college and less so in the NBA so he's a likely four-year player.
  • Yet another top-notch recruit for the staff. Miller, Curbelo, Hawkins would be an A+ class and immediately add credibility to the program and the staff. Needless to say this is a huge year for recruiting because it could be the difference between a one-year window and long-term sustainable success.
I'll just add that I'm not taking either of these guys for granted but it's starting to look really good. I'm pumped, go Illini.

You’re pigeon holing Miller here man. They both are fantastic guards who can handle the rock well. Curbelo is probably a more precise and intelligent passer but that’s only because Curbelo might be the best the passer in his class. Or at least at his position in the class. Miller is definitely a better shooter but gets to the rim at ease as well. I agree that they are a great fit together and Adam probably sees that, but Adam specifically said recently he was tired of being called a SG and I can’t help but agree. He’s a lead guard with PG and SG skills. That’s where basketball is now. Just like Adam shares the PG duties with Marcus Watson at Morgan Park and how Ayo shares with Trent, Adam and Curbelo can be a beautiful pair of whatever guards they want to be.

I agree with all of this, I wasn't trying to pidgeon hole Miller. I honestly remember him saying that was his worst part of his game that he is working on...that along with playing B1G basketball, expected to contribute early and often and the fact that he knows what kind of player Dre is...well that was the reference. I would guess that he feels as if he is a CG, but wants to get better at the PG aspects. Handling the ball obviously is a major role there. Good response, thanks for the input. They will be a great combo for us when all is said and done!

Status
Not open for further replies.