Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just realized there are two other prominent PGs from Chicago ranked above Miller: Nimari Burnett & DJ Steward. I find it odd we didn't make it farther in the running for these guys. Any insights?
Strange. All Three guards transferred during high school. I have never seen Steward play. He blew up big time over the summer. Crazy rise up the rankings. Ill try to catch him this year. Word was he was Carolina or Duke bound once they offered. Burnett was hitting big shots as a freshman at Morgan Park. He had a big city championship game at Chicago State if Im not mistaken. Then he moved to Cali after his freshman year. He was a sniper, hitting perimeter shots. Now he is going in, doing windmill dunks. Doesnt look athletic, but he is. Miller came in and basically took his spot at Morgan Park. Imagine Miller and Burnett both at Morgan Park right now. It was strange to me that Illinois didn't even make the final five for Burnett. Miller has always been my favorite prospect due to that shooting. Ayo missed a game at the Big Dipper during Miller's sophomore year. He had 30 at halftime. Finished with over 40.

Thanks for the share; both Bossi and Evans both make solid points, albeit ones that have been sussed out on here. Simply stated, both are very important for the short and long term growth of this program; closing this class with two rising Top-50 players (Miller "should" be a proper 5* across the board within the first month of the season.

That said, one question I would love for them / us / anyone to discuss is - "What player(s) outside of the Top-150 have the potential to make the most impact on the teamto which they have committed / will commit?" (or something like that). Or, simply stated, which players outside of the Top-150 [do you think] are underrated and have the potential to make the largest jump in the rankings during the season?

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Burnett is from Chicago originally but he’s lived out on the west coast for awhile, close family connections with Juwan Howard. Chin obviously knows the family too but that was always a long shot.

Steward was prioritized by Duke similar to Whitney with UK last year, had a chance for a bit if things worked out. Still feel Texas and Louisville would have been the choice otherwise but I love his game.

Miller has always been the most likely. There was some buzz earlier with other schools like both in Arizona but I feel good about him coming here in the end.

Honestly these guys are all literally ranked within like 10 spots of each other. I would also not consider any of them PGs, maybe combos at best all are scoring guards imo.

Good to hear from you Kramer.

Thanks for the share; both Bossi and Evans both make solid points, albeit ones that have been sussed out on here. Simply stated, both are very important for the short and long term growth of this program; closing this class with two rising Top-50 players (Miller "should" be a proper 5* across the board within the first month of the season.

That said, one question I would love for them / us / anyone to discuss is - "What player(s) outside of the Top-150 have the potential to make the most impact on the teamto which they have committed / will commit?" (or something like that). Or, simply stated, which players outside of the Top-150 [do you think] are underrated and have the potential to make the largest jump in the rankings during the season?
I think that they usually bring that question up during the season. You will see that answered at some point. They bring up which player outside the top 150 will move up and who will have an impact. The most telling idea from this is that Miller more important for Illinois as any player is to any school period.

I do want him to have his moment? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Most of the "moments" for these top 100 kids are some sort of live streamed event at their school where they announce where they're going, or pick a hat, or whatever. Go for it. My point is only that when kids decide where they are going before the they can actually sign, they usually do something public (aka have their moment). Curbelo doesn't seem to be doing that. There are a lot of good signs pointing our way, but, if he has really made up his mind, the thing you would most expect to happen now (a public announcement) hasn't happened yet and isn't scheduled to happen yet. And again, that's fine for him. If he wants more time, he should take it. But if you're following a recruitment and a kid hasn't made a public verbal, it's either a bit of an unusual recruitment, or the kid hasn't really made up his mind. This isn't a criticism of the kid, it's just me trying to understand the high degree of certainty that is buzzing around this thread and remind everyone to keep their cups on tight because this doesn't look normal to me.
Looks normal to me.

I think that they usually bring that question up during the season. You will see that answered at some point. They bring up which player outside the top 150 will move up and who will have an impact. The most telling idea from this is that Miller more important for Illinois as any player is to any school period.

Absolutely to both. There is a post on here that echoes your point; this class is very important, and Miller, Illinois native notwithstanding, is, as you said, the most important recruit for anything. Landing both gives credence to the preseason rankings and the state of the program; however, if and when Miller commits (which is going to be after Curbelo), will generate huge a buzz by itself, but more so if part of a class of two rising Top-50 guards.

As for those outside the Top-150, they should put on their BU "I do not care about rankings" hat, and have a proper preseason discussion about potential impact; it is much easier, almost armchair analysis, to do it midseason. That one is one me for not specifying the "when".

Absolutely to both. There is a post on here that echoes your point; this class is very important, and Miller, Illinois native notwithstanding, is, as you said, the most important recruit for anything. Landing both gives credence to the preseason rankings and the state of the program; however, if and when Miller commits (which is going to be after Curbelo), will generate huge a buzz by itself, but more so if part of a class of two rising Top-50 guards.

As for those outside the Top-150, they should put on their BU "I do not care about rankings" hat, and have a proper preseason discussion about potential impact; it is much easier, almost armchair analysis, to do it midseason. That one is one me for not specifying the "when".
Giorgi proves that rankings don't matter. You go ahead get Curbelo and Miller, then you move ahead to Bynum and Casey instate. They will be able to focus on other classes over the winter and spring. I expect to see Underwood personally this winter.

sacraig

The desert

Anyone who knows that ought to consider being a college recruiter instead of posting about it on message boards.

Deleted member 8313

D
Are they still recruiting Saba Gigiberia? I had no idea that he's Hawkins teammate and also see that he's from Georgia like Giorgi.

JJB

Chicago, IL

Last month Bossi identified Coleman Hawkins as one of those players outside the Top 150 who are poised for a potential jump in the rankings.

https://n.rivals.com/news/bossi-s-best-prospects-on-the-cusp-of-the-rivals150

Screenshot_20191026-214422.png

IMO what your seeing now out of the Curbelo, Miller, and Robinson camps are some conflicting info put out there in order to build some suspense for announcements.
I am not discounting that at all. It is possible however the person I spoke with is heavily involved in training K.K....
"He said I'm not counting illinois out because I know K.K. liked the atmosphere, and the players".. one player in particular who was brought in to show k.k. around and talk with him about culture was gieorgi Beshanisvilli..
He also said "K.Ks mom really liked antigua, and from everything I can gather he Loves Arkansas."
He finished up talking about k.k. and said "But it's a big decision, and these are kids so you never know, k.k. is in Virginia as we speak so who knows"..
That convo between myself and "Coach P" [as close as I can get without revealing his entire name] on Friday evening..
I would love to see k.k. miller and curbelo, but I'm not greedy I'll take 2 out of 3

Stoic ... Stoic ... Stoic and flexing because this school is my final two... Jackpot.

As many of you know, I am overly analytical, and often to a fault, but numbers taken or retired, there a 4, a 14, and two 44s, if I am a combo guard where one of the will-be seniors is wearing #1, I am going with something that is far enough away but significant enough to make it my own without really compromising his number or his status as the [assuming] co-captain his senior year.

So, to rephrase.
AZ = 44 is a number that I like and I want to show off the mass on which I have put, but unless I can throw out a few bluffs, it is obvious that I am not coming here
UL = 4, in any form is still an important number, but I am not happy right now and am going to show it
ASU = I really dug the scene and they are my definite number two ... so ... flex on
UI = Yaaaay!

I am not discounting that at all. It is possible however the person I spoke with is heavily involved in training K.K....
"He said I'm not counting illinois out because I know K.K. liked the atmosphere, and the players".. one player in particular who was brought in to show k.k. around and talk with him about culture was gieorgi Beshanisvilli..
He also said "K.Ks mom really liked antigua, and from everything I can gather he Loves Arkansas."
He finished up talking about k.k. and said "But it's a big decision, and these are kids so you never know, k.k. is in Virginia as we speak so who knows"..
That convo between myself and "Coach P" [as close as I can get without revealing his entire name] on Friday evening..
I would love to see k.k. miller and curbelo, but I'm not greedy I'll take 2 out of 3
They won’t take all 3 and they prefer Curbelo to KK.

I do want him to have his moment? I'm not sure what you're talking about. Most of the "moments" for these top 100 kids are some sort of live streamed event at their school where they announce where they're going, or pick a hat, or whatever. Go for it. My point is only that when kids decide where they are going before the they can actually sign, they usually do something public (aka have their moment). Curbelo doesn't seem to be doing that. There are a lot of good signs pointing our way, but, if he has really made up his mind, the thing you would most expect to happen now (a public announcement) hasn't happened yet and isn't scheduled to happen yet. And again, that's fine for him. If he wants more time, he should take it. But if you're following a recruitment and a kid hasn't made a public verbal, it's either a bit of an unusual recruitment, or the kid hasn't really made up his mind. This isn't a criticism of the kid, it's just me trying to understand the high degree of certainty that is buzzing around this thread and remind everyone to keep their cups on tight because this doesn't look normal to me.

This seems pretty normal. A lot of high rated kids don't publicly verbal before they make their live decision on signing day. Ayo never publicly verbaled before his live event at the nike store. Mark Smith had his event at the gym when he announced.

t7nich

Central IL
I posted a link from twitter yesterday and cant find it...
It was a link to someone saying curbelo is comitting I believe it said monday anybody heard anything else??
Not sure about today. Very likely this week it sounds like.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.