Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,226      
Looks like we were the ones given the misdirection.

Feels too much like the Groce recruitments where our insiders were constantly optimistic (due to the info the staff was giving out) and nut punches reigned supreme.

BU and crew have either steered clear of these deliberately ambiguous recruitments or simply gotten lucky that they haven’t had to encounter that many yet.

This year seems to have corrected that.

The difference between Groce and BU is that BU’s staff seems to know when to pull out of a recruitment. Maybe they got a little over anxious this time when they should have gotten out. Or maybe it was just several unlucky recruitments in a row that went sideways.

@ProfessorQC, @whitesxfan2012, @illini0440, or @Indy Illini Fan, any chance for a post-mortem on this bad boy to give us an idea why some people thought Illinois?

#1,227      
This recruitment kind of reminds me of Elijah Thomas (?) from a couple of years ago. He trolled the fanbases hard and everyone thought he was ours.... but then he ended up at A&M.

#1,228      

whitesxfan2012

Orange & Blue tweety bird
Louisville, KY
I apologize to the board...I won't say anything bad towards Bryce, the family, and definitely not any connection.
The family did do its best to try and convince certain attachments to the program that he was a good lean to O&B when I posted.
Unfortunately, this didn't come to fruition.
Still, this program is doing well!
Good luck to the Hopkins family at UK.

#1,230      
If a participation trophy allows the staff to have wins such as Ayo, Kofi, and Miller, then hell yes. This staff has won some serious battles. Lost plenty. That’s part of this. We lost this one and a couple other key ones this year.

is it time to panic and be discouraged. I’m my opinion, not a chance.

Go Illini

No doubt, Just poking the bear.

It wasn’t too long ago we would not have had a chance at these “types” of players. I just appreciate that we are now in the conversations for players like this, sustained success will only continue to improve our chances in these battles.

Last edited:
#1,231      
I apologize to the board...I won't say anything bad towards Bryce, the family, and definitely not any connection.
The family did do its best to try and convince certain attachments to the program that he was a good lean to O&B when I posted.

well said bro, on to the next one!

#1,232      

illini80

Forgottonia
Well, we only want guys that want to be Illini anyway. And he doesn’t fit the system. Rumors are his growth plates are closed. Help me out here guys!

Seriously, he got what he wanted, so hats off to him. Who knew recruiting a 4 would be our biggest challenge?

#1,233      
Yeah, no harm done as far as I'm concerned. Most of the reasonable people on this board understand. Don't let the naysayers bother you. They clearly don't understand a) how the internet works and b) how teenagers in these situations think. Please keep contributing when you're able to! We appreciate it!

#1,234      

whatahack

St. Peters MO

No need to apologize...you can only pass on what you hear. I think most of us appreciate it

#1,235      

illini80

Forgottonia
None needed. Thanks as always for weighing in.

#1,236      
When someone speaks with complete authority and certainty, then it seems reasonable that the message is reliable and repeatable. Recently, the reliability has been less than stellar, which taints that person's credibility and mine, as well. Simply put, I gave too much credibility to unreliable sources, and in the end, I was perceived as being just as uninformed as them. As one guy that I know and relate information to so eloquently put it, "Who are your sources, because they are not very reliable?" That comment pertained to both Nesbitt and Hopkins, although if memory serves me correctly, and it might not, there have been more misses than just those. I'm not angry, just a little wiser, and much more careful to repeat any recruiting projections that I read on this site.

I would argue that you are undoubtedly less informed.

#1,237      
We will get good players in this class, no doubt about it. This year is about our team now, and the fact that we have a legit shot at a national championship. If this team does what I and we think they can, this program is going to be racking in a couple of Bryce Hopkins level players every year. Let the hype begin for our guys this year, I think it's going to be very special.
I-L-L

#1,238      
Sigh

Attachments

• FDCF67F8-E40F-4F30-9B64-2185E5542186.png
    FDCF67F8-E40F-4F30-9B64-2185E5542186.png
    319.9 KB · Views: 1,184
#1,244      
When someone speaks with complete authority and certainty, then it seems reasonable that the message is reliable and repeatable. Recently, the reliability has been less than stellar, which taints that person's credibility and mine, as well. Simply put, I gave too much credibility to unreliable sources, and in the end, I was perceived as being just as uninformed as them. As one guy that I know and relate information to so eloquently put it, "Who are your sources, because they are not very reliable?" That comment pertained to both Nesbitt and Hopkins, although if memory serves me correctly, and it might not, there have been more misses than just those. I'm not angry, just a little wiser, and much more careful to repeat any recruiting projections that I read on this site.

If you have to use a random person on an internet board as your trusted source into a college basketball program when talking to people in real life it's time to reevaluate.

#1,246      
next target we up

if we land Mustapha and Mac Etienne (or a top transfer big) we’re going to keep this train rolling. Mustapha is looking like he could easily be a top 75 recruit but was just offf the radar since he’s international

#1,247      

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Color me surprised...but as I said, no ill will. Kentucky is the Harvard of CB...you get an offer, how can you refuse? I hope he does well, because if he doesn’t, I truly will feel sorry for the opportunity he passed up. No matter how well he does, he will never be remembered by the UK fans, they are a “next” school.

We still revere so many players from the past, many who never even made it to the NBA, or had short careers there. I’m not sure many UK fans even think about Anthony Davis that often. Sure, players who find success in the pros may not care about their place in a school’s history during their career, but it can mean a lot later.

Anyway, I hope he is not buried on the bench and reaches his goals. Illinois? We’ll be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.