Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the way I see it, getting a top flight wing in 2021 would've been awesome, but not necessary. Assuming some combo of Hutch/Grandison/Goode can take the brunt of the time at the 2/3, I feel confident not landing a starting freshman wing wont derail this team.

I'm much more worried about the 4/5. I still don't know what to think of Giorgi, and Kofi is all but gone. We really need Miller to stay two years too, but I think having to play with Trent and Ayo will limit him showcasing his skill this season. I'd much rather land a PF and C than a SF (not that I wouldn't have taken Nesbitt or others, just isn't as big of an area of need in my mind).

So the way I see it, getting a top flight wing in 2021 would've been awesome, but not necessary. Assuming some combo of Hutch/Grandison/Goode can take the brunt of the time at the 2/3, I feel confident not landing a starting freshman wing wont derail this team.

I'm much more worried about the 4/5. I still don't know what to think of Giorgi, and Kofi is all but gone. We really need Miller to stay two years too, but I think having to play with Trent and Ayo will limit him showcasing his skill this season. I'd much rather land a PF and C than a SF (not that I wouldn't have taken Nesbitt or others, just isn't as big of an area of need in my mind).
Mac is more important imo than any wing but we really don’t know what we have in BBV. It seemed to me than Giorgi played well against almost all the big men (as a frosh) but wasn’t able to do the job when there was also a big 4. If BBV and Hawkins are effective at the 4 we should be fine but most of us don’t know that yet. We do have three bigs (BBV, Hawkins, and Lieb) with 4 years of eligibility and Jermaine with 3 so the future could be bright if they develop. Don’t ever remember a previous Illini comparable to Kofi so don’t expect another and system will change to accommodate just as it did to take advantage of him.

Bingo. The staff is as well, with no real options behind Mac. He is a must get.

Anyone in the loop enough to expand on our potential options if we did strike out on Mac? Hopefully not going to happen but I'm curious where we stand if that happens. The way I see it we have a few options:

1. Sam Ayomide: Do we have any shot or is he definitely headed to Memphis/Kansas?
2. Charles Bediako, Franck Kepnang, Moussa Diabate, and Chet Holmgren: Any shot with any of these? I assume zero chance but curious if anyone knows anything positive?
3. Bernard Kouma: Looks like he played 265 min over 29 games for an average of 9 minutes per game. He was pretty efficient at 4.1 pts and 3.8 rebounds during those 9 minutes but he's probably no where near ready to play at the B10 level. Anyone been keeping tabs on him and have more insight than just the stats I was able to google? Would he be a piece Illinois is still interested in acquiring?
4. No Big and just hope that a front court consisting of Giorgi/Hamlin/Lieb and BBV/Hawkins/Grandison is enough?

In situation #4, does anyone have any information on potential 2022 BIGs that we might have a shot at? Potentially information on where we stand with Mark Mitchell, Jalen Washington, AJ Casey, Isaac Traudt, Aidan Shaw, Kel'el Ware, or Colin Smith?

Anyone in the loop enough to expand on our potential options if we did strike out on Mac? Hopefully not going to happen but I'm curious where we stand if that happens. The way I see it we have a few options:

1. Sam Ayomide: Do we have any shot or is he definitely headed to Memphis/Kansas?
2. Charles Bediako, Franck Kepnang, Moussa Diabate, and Chet Holmgren: Any shot with any of these? I assume zero chance but curious if anyone knows anything positive?
3. Bernard Kouma: Looks like he played 265 min over 29 games for an average of 9 minutes per game. He was pretty efficient at 4.1 pts and 3.8 rebounds during those 9 minutes but he's probably no where near ready to play at the B10 level. Anyone been keeping tabs on him and have more insight than just the stats I was able to google? Would he be a piece Illinois is still interested in acquiring?
4. No Big and just hope that a front court consisting of Giorgi/Hamlin/Lieb and BBV/Hawkins/Grandison is enough?

In situation #4, does anyone have any information on potential 2022 BIGs that we might have a shot at? Potentially information on where we stand with Mark Mitchell, Jalen Washington, AJ Casey, Isaac Traudt, Aidan Shaw, Kel'el Ware, or Colin Smith?

Ayomide is a lost cause.I wouldn’t bet my house on it, but the Memphis guys I know feel pretty good.

Holmgren feels like a lost cause as well. I don’t know much about his recruitment, but I thought I read something a week or so ago that said he’s headed pro.

I would also guess there is a 5) option...and that would be a transfer. As others have said, feel like this staff will leave no stone unturned in finding impact players

Kouma is at Oklahoma State this season so I think that ship has definitively sailed.

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA

Regarding your #3, I think we determined that his JUCO stats were imperfect at best:

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)
19 points and 10 rebounds in 1 minute of action against Lamar State is what impressed me most. He even went 7 of 10 from the charity stripe that night.
Glad to see he landed at a P5 program. I would have like to see him in an Illini uniform.

Regarding your #3, I think we determined that his JUCO stats were imperfect at best:

Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (December 2019)
19 points and 10 rebounds in 1 minute of action against Lamar State is what impressed me most. He even went 7 of 10 from the charity stripe that night.
Glad to see he landed at a P5 program. I would have like to see him in an Illini uniform.

Here you go.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 4.42.59 PM.png

AJ Casey transferred to Whitney Young. I recently saw coach Slaughter at a grocery store and I congratulated him on his team. Coach Chin and Slaughter are buddies. I expect Chin to be at every big Whitney Young game for the next two years. I believe they also have a guard who is a good player.

AJ Casey transferred to Whitney Young. I recently saw coach Slaughter at a grocery store and I congratulated him on his team. Coach Chin and Slaughter are buddies. I expect Chin to be at every big Whitney Young game for the next two years. I believe they also have a guard who is a good player.

Were you picking up dog food??:D

WINT

Kewanee, IL
Did Woodcock actually land an exclusive with Goode? I translated the article twice and I’m still not sure.

if this dude is already between Memphis and Kansas I sorta just wish he left the rest of us out of it. Not trying to get pumped about another recruiting miss... that being said, anyone have any news or insights to get me psyched up about this one? I’d love to land both Sam and Mac... I just don’t know how the staff convinced them to both sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.