Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to criticize "insiders" for being wrong about specific details or eventual outcomes. Recruiting is so incredibly fluid, that even a recruit and his own father can wildly differ (in their communications to outsiders) on whether a recruit has made a decision and when he plans to announce that decision. Surely, it doesn't get much more "inner circle" than that? So what hope can the rest of us have in divining the inner workings of any particular recruitment?

"Insiders" on a free message board shouldn't be held to some impossible standard regarding the accuracy of their information. I've experienced a lot less frustration in reading this board ever since I mentally added a "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer when reading every post.

Just a quick PSA. Sorry if it came across as preachy.

:illinois:

Flight#33

Flight#33
Let this be a lesson to anyone who wants to criticize "insiders" for being wrong about specific details or eventual outcomes. Recruiting is so incredibly fluid, that even a recruit and his own father can wildly differ (in their communications to outsiders) on whether a recruit has made a decision and when he plans to announce that decision. Surely, it doesn't get much more "inner circle" than that? So what hope can the rest of us have in divining the inner workings of any particular recruitment?

"Insiders" on a free message board shouldn't be held to some impossible standard regarding the accuracy of their information. I've experienced a lot less frustration in reading this board ever since I mentally added a "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer when reading every post.

Awfully reasonable for loyalty after dark

altenberger22

South Carolina

Nicely stated. Wholeheartedly agree. I love the insider info - keep it coming!

Ha nothing new from this one (besides I was told the Illini staff knows of his intentions at this point but they aren’t letting it out). Gun to my head and I still say we land him from everything I’ve heard. 18 year olds can be fickle however more than one has changed their minds late in the game.

Ha nothing new from this one (besides I was told the Illini staff knows of his intentions at this point but they aren’t letting it out). Gun to my head and I still say we land him from everything I’ve heard. 18 year olds can be fickle however more than one has changed their minds late in the game.

Did your source say it in a giggly way or in a long, sad drawn out way?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Did your source say it in a giggly way or in a long, sad drawn out way?

I totally misread this initially...but I’ll go ahead with the .gif from that misread word anyway, and then go get cofffee.

fyTv.gif

Loved both Ekey and McLaurin. But, how refreshing is it that we are no longer scrambling for grad transfer players to plug into key roles? That was a rough 7-8 year stretch or whatever it was. Lots of roster holes to plug.
Personally I've been feeling like we've done exactly this the last few recruiting classes. Seems like we always have to add a couple guys late spring/summer to fill out our scholarships.

haasi

New York
Personally I've been feeling like we've done exactly this the last few recruiting classes. Seems like we always have to add a couple guys late spring/summer to fill out our scholarships.
definitely still taking guys late in the process, but it’s more young guys were taking flyers on developing rather than fifth year transfers were depending on for immediate production

Every school is going to have to add a couple lower level guys to fill out the roster at the end of the class. Some of those guys will turn into solid role players. Others will leave for more playing time. What's important is that we continue to have 4-6 top 100 (preferably top 50) recruits on the roster at all times.

Goode and Lieb is looking like it's going to be a huge step back. Need to add at least one more top 100.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Yeah, it's pretty weird. We're the only school where there was no mention of basketball or our coaching staff.
A rather disappointing article. As it reads..........I'd say Illinois comes across as 5th out of the 5 schools discussed. 1. Providence 2. Indiana 3. Kentucky 4. Michigan 5. Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.