Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,076      

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Well said. You and I are neighbors so, sadly, I know exactly what you mean. You don't by chance teach at B-CC do you?

I did teach at B-CC until three years ago, and my best friend still does, but I transferred to WJ because it‘s my home school and my youngest goes there. I did love B-CC, but man does it fit that profile. It can be so tough on kids. Not just B-CC, just the need to prove yourself via school acceptance.

Last edited:
#1,077      

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Sadly, if Hopkins picks the Cats, then I am forced to admit that the Loyalty "insiders" are now "outsiders". That will hurt, as I enjoy telling Illini fans that I have "sources"(or is it sauces?). I field many calls asking what my "insiders" are saying. Unfortunately, those calls are coming with less frequency due to the bad information. With their recent misses, I will only be left with the 247 Crystal Balls and cryptic athlete tweets. Be correct, insiders, please be correct!

I feel ya, but maybe this one is really an outlier: The feeling is he would love to go to Illinois but just can’t turn UK down...thus the yo-yo factor.

#1,078      
UK also has offered and expressed big interest in 2021 6'9" PF 247 #20, Moussa Diabate. Kentucky offered mid September. FWIW, Hopkins cannot play the 3.
Daimion Collins is now up to 7 CB's to UK.
Hopkins can totally play the 3, as long as the 1,2, and 4 he plays next too can all shoot the 3 ball...

#1,079      
Sadly, if Hopkins picks the Cats, then I am forced to admit that the Loyalty "insiders" are now "outsiders". That will hurt, as I enjoy telling Illini fans that I have "sources"(or is it sauces?). I field many calls asking what my "insiders" are saying. Unfortunately, those calls are coming with less frequency due to the bad information. With their recent misses, I will only be left with the 247 Crystal Balls and cryptic athlete tweets. Be correct, insiders, please be correct!

The trick is to only consider posters insiders if they have a consistent track record. This is not a shot at others who share information; I welcome any and all who have inside info to share. However, I am not going to attach to much credibility to any single poster until they have have established an extensive track record. For me, that limits my list to posters such as Indy, 0440, and Stuemke... probably a couple more, but it is a short list.

#1,080      

sacraig

The desert

Insiders for a given team are generally just that: insiders for that team. That means their sources are on the team, and their info is only as good as their team sources have and are willing to share. What's my point? Our IL "insiders" may well have good info and it's the team that doesn't have good info. If the team legitimately feels a players is coming here and tells an insider that, is that somehow the insider's fault?

The only foolproof source is the player himself, and even that could end up false if they pull some real Cliffmas nonsense.

#1,081      
The trick is to only consider posters insiders if they have a consistent track record. This is not a shot at others who share information; I welcome any and all who have inside info to share. However, I am not going to attach to much credibility to any single poster until they have have established an extensive track record. For me, that limits my list to posters such as Indy, 0440, and Stuemke... probably a couple more, but it is a short list.

I feel like most people probably realize that it is obvious some of those "insiders" actually have some sort of real sources. Kids change their minds. Some "handlers" seem to share what they feel is going to happen based on what they want, it seems. It happens.

#1,082      
I think QC got some Sources also.

#1,086      
Hopkins can totally play the 3, as long as the 1,2, and 4 he plays next too can all shoot the 3 ball...
Had envisioned Curbelo, Miller, Hopkins, Hawkins, and Mac as the future. Very different from today’s team but more BU’s style. Not sure which of the H guys is the 3 and which is the 4. Just think they would complement each other very well.

Last edited:
#1,087      
175B469C-5240-4BEA-8600-E03B4B486573.jpeg

Posted on Tipton Edits Instagram story. Perhaps it’s Damion Collins to UK?

#1,090      
I love the Illini. Been following since Dave D., Tal Brody, Skip Thoren. Early 60's. I like seeing them get the best talent they can. However, nothing a coach says has more impact than when a teenager is walking down the hall of high school and his classmates say, "Holy cow, you're going to Duke, or Kentucky, or North Carolina, or Kansas". Until Illinois is added to this list we will likley see most of 4 and 5 stars going elsewhere. It's going to take some real solid coaching, some extended success, a good measure of luck. That's just the way it is.

#1,094      

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
I did teach at B-CC until three years ago, and my best friend still does, but I transferred to WJ because it‘s my home school and my youngest goes there. I did love B-CC, but man does it fit that profile. It can be so tough on kids. Not just B-CC, just the need to prove yourself via school acceptance.
Yep. I've spent a fair amount of time explaining to my daughter how to navigate around all the pressure and box-checking and to be her own girl. It's rough, particularly on girls. Fortunately I've helped her develop a fairly sensitive BS detector. She's really into band so I've also indoctrinated her with Marching Illini videos ;).

#1,095      
A lot of the soap opera is created by the fan base and not the recruits. This recruitment is straightforward, some top programs involved.
We do definetly create some drama moments within our selves. But to think when this kid has said he was going to cut his list to a top 3 or 5, whatever it wasand then had a top 9. Then the date has changed numerous times. And there are influence and handlers with this recruitment, just facts.

#1,096      

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Yep. I've spent a fair amount of time explaining to my daughter how to navigate around all the pressure and box-checking and to be her own girl. It's rough, particularly on girls. Fortunately I've helped her develop a fairly sensitive BS detector. She's really into band so I've also indoctrinated her with Marching Illini videos ;).
I know I have shared this before, sorry, but it seems to fit here. My daughter insisted for 10 years that she was NOT going to U of Illinois. I made her promise to apply, she didn't have to visit, it didn't count against her "10" applications that Dad was paying for, I only wanted to use it to ask for other schools for additional scholarships, in state tuition, etc. After accepted in early March of senior year, "oh, by the way, I got into Illinois, I'm still not going." 2 weeks later, she learned of a ranking of universities in Chemistry (I may have shared it). Her remaining schools were not in the same zip code as Illinois. After an expletive, she looked up the Marching Illini and the Speech team. A week later, went on a campus visit with Mom (Dad wasn't allowed to go, only one I missed). They both knew instantly that it was the right place for her. She and I went on one more campus tour to another school, after a day, she said wanted to stop by the car, gave me an "I Dad" hat. We drove home. She is now a sophomore, in a leadership position on the speech team, in student government and interviewing for a research position. She found her place.

#1,097      

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
I know I have shared this before, sorry, but it seems to fit here. My daughter insisted for 10 years that she was NOT going to U of Illinois. I made her promise to apply, she didn't have to visit, it didn't count against her "10" applications that Dad was paying for, I only wanted to use it to ask for other schools for additional scholarships, in state tuition, etc. After accepted in early March of senior year, "oh, by the way, I got into Illinois, I'm still not going." 2 weeks later, she learned of a ranking of universities in Chemistry (I may have shared it). Her remaining schools were not in the same zip code as Illinois. After an expletive, she looked up the Marching Illini and the Speech team. A week later, went on a campus visit with Mom (Dad wasn't allowed to go, only one I missed). They both knew instantly that it was the right place for her. She and I went on one more campus tour to another school, after a day, she said wanted to stop by the car, gave me an "I Dad" hat. We drove home. She is now a sophomore, in a leadership position on the speech team, in student government and interviewing for a research position. She found her place.
LOVE that story (which I hadn't heard.) Yep. I could have gone three miles down the street to OSU for virtually nothing. Worked very hard in junior and senior high school around my neighborhood (paper route, yard care, snow shoveling), through undergrad (dining halls FR/SO years, as an R.A. w/free room and board JR/SR years) so I could attend UIUC's engineering program. When I stepped onto campus my senior year in high school (after visiting Michigan and Purdue) I knew I was home. Best choice I ever made and I have my dad's loving wisdom (and willingness to pay more than he would have if I'd stayed in-state) to thank for it. (And I turned down a scholly to Michigan to boot. Heh!) Only downside was that I had occasionally to explain to the odd Chicagoland student that Ohio and Iowa were actually fairly different states ;).

Very happy for your daughter. UIUC was a wonderful place in which to learn and grow 30+ years ago; seems it still is. I have such fond memories and I worked my a$$ off.

:illinois: :alma-mater: :chief:

#1,100      
I love the Illini. Been following since Dave D., Tal Brody, Skip Thoren. Early 60's. I like seeing them get the best talent they can. However, nothing a coach says has more impact than when a teenager is walking down the hall of high school and his classmates say, "Holy cow, you're going to Duke, or Kentucky, or North Carolina, or Kansas". Until Illinois is added to this list we will likley see most of 4 and 5 stars going elsewhere. It's going to take some real solid coaching, some extended success, a good measure of luck. That's just the way it is.

While I agree to some extent, I'd also be a lot more comfortable with this explanation if we hadn't just lost recruitment battles to Memphis, Seton Hall, and DePaul.

Status
Not open for further replies.