Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,153      
This has been a very disappointing recruiting season so far. I'm not getting my hopes up with this one, but maybe we'll get a surprise--you never know.

I just hope that the current team lives up to their hype and the staff can regroup

At this point last year, we only had Coleman Hawkins committed. There are several guys that we have offered the past couple months that we can realistically get that will get you excited. For example, a class of Goode, Mac, Wesley Cardet, and TyTy Washington, all potential spring signs with Goode, would end up with a higher team score on 247 than this year's class. That is even before taking into account the transfer market that will be loaded with talent due to the one year sit out rule being gone. It may suck losing these recruiting battles, but trust the process. It will be worth it in the end.

#1,154      

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...greatest-college-basketball-program-of-all-ti
I do not particularly like Kentucky, but it I was a top recruit could see why being part of this tradition is attractive.

Right. I've been to UK games at Rupp. It's bigger, louder and they always win - for years on end. If you're a highly skilled kid that has a shot at playing on that court - you believe in yourself and your ability to earn PT. Top tier kids don't think, "I won't see the court there." They think, "I'll have my jersey in the rafters when I'm done."

#1,155      
At this point last year, we only had Coleman Hawkins committed. There are several guys that we have offered the past couple months that we can realistically get that will get you excited. For example, a class of Goode, Mac, Wesley Cardet, and TyTy Washington, all potential spring signs with Goode, would end up with a higher team score on 247 than this year's class. That is even before taking into account the transfer market that will be loaded with talent due to the one year sit out rule being gone. It may suck losing these recruiting battles, but trust the process. It will be worth it in the end.
Curbelo might have publicly committed on Nov. 1, but I'll never forget watching him commit with the coaches the morning after homecoming on Oct. 20. So I'd still say we are a little behind our own curve at this point with no sure things lined up like Miller and Curbelo were at this point last year.

#1,156      

TwoElevenEastDaniel

Cochrane's-Orchid-Tonic
Guys, I don't say much.
Being completely transparent here, I would never put Chiefs on here just to throw darts.
I was told a very specific thing. When I'm told this, I will occasionally share the random pop in to Loyalty.
I'm not in the business of flip/flopping.
Sometimes, things are messy behind the scenes.
Yes, we all know where the CB's lay currently.
Yes, it seems like a longshot when hearing the overwhelming chatter to the UK side.
I will own it (if wrong) and apologize for misguiding people's faith, after this announcement happens.
Also, I won't be the guy who ever says I told you so.
I have a passion for Illini Basketball and try to share in that passion with Loyalty, when possible.

I don't have any doubt that you are honestly, sincerely discussing what you know. I appreciate your insight and any and all drop-bys are more than welcome. Sometimes the recruitment doesn't go the way of the beloved. It doesn't change how you and the other insider-types make this particular message board so much fun. So thank you, and keep that passion for the Illini.

#1,157      
Right. I've been to UK games at Rupp. It's bigger, louder and they always win - for years on end. If you're a highly skilled kid that has a shot at playing on that court - you believe in yourself and your ability to earn PT. Top tier kids don't think, "I won't see the court there." They think, "I'll have my jersey in the rafters when I'm done."
They don't even have Anthony Davis' jersey in the rafters, who I'd say pretty confidently is the most dominate college basketball player I've ever watched. So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Hopkins won't be seeing his name up there, and sorry I know you were being rhetorical just making a fun note.

#1,158      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Since I'm a glutton for punishment, do we know how Hopkins is going to make his announcement?

#1,161      
Remember how we thought losing Tilmon to Missouri was bad- he has only averaged 8.8 points & 4.8 rebounds per game over 3 years. You just never know. I would love to have Hopkins, but if he chooses someone else trust our staff to land the next one.
33C3E031-9690-401E-B467-4A149760E78B.gif

#1,163      
With Piper CB I am assuming Coach and staff got the call. Just a hunch but ussually there are tips of those said no to before decision. I...L...
L...

#1,164      
I know I have shared this before, sorry, but it seems to fit here. My daughter insisted for 10 years that she was NOT going to U of Illinois. I made her promise to apply, she didn't have to visit, it didn't count against her "10" applications that Dad was paying for, I only wanted to use it to ask for other schools for additional scholarships, in state tuition, etc. After accepted in early March of senior year, "oh, by the way, I got into Illinois, I'm still not going." 2 weeks later, she learned of a ranking of universities in Chemistry (I may have shared it). Her remaining schools were not in the same zip code as Illinois. After an expletive, she looked up the Marching Illini and the Speech team. A week later, went on a campus visit with Mom (Dad wasn't allowed to go, only one I missed). They both knew instantly that it was the right place for her. She and I went on one more campus tour to another school, after a day, she said wanted to stop by the car, gave me an "I Dad" hat. We drove home. She is now a sophomore, in a leadership position on the speech team, in student government and interviewing for a research position. She found her place.

Congrats, that's an fantastic story. My daughter is a proud Illini grad too!

#1,165      
From everything I've read here, the family is in full control of this recruitment. I don't think Mokan has any impact here.
He had a conversation with Mokan last week. They want him at Kentucky...good pub for the AAU program. It is Bryce's decision but he wanted their input. Also for those asking how he is going to announce it will be via a video posted on twitter and or instagram.

#1,166      
He had a conversation with Mokan last week. They want him at Kentucky...good pub for the AAU program. It is Bryce's decision but he wanted their input. Also for those asking how he is going to announce it will be via a video posted on twitter and or instagram.
This^

#1,167      
I’m ready to hurt again

#1,169      

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Less than 2 hours...time for all the crystal balls to start changing.

#1,172      
I will say that some very high level “sources” got played on this one, causing a trickle down effect to other smaller vectors of these rumors which made its way to us on the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.