Illinois Hoops Recruiting Thread (October 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,251      

ProfessorQC

Ace Wolf
UofI
No offense to some of the other posters, but this can’t be the Groce era all over again because we landed Ayo and Kofi! 💯💯

And we HAVEN’T hit our ceiling yet!! It just makes this year all that more important...

How many times have we landed a recruit from Mokan in the past?

He was the headliner for this class no doubt, and we want to keep stacking those each year, so yes this one hurts, bad. But if it’s worth any merits, we were much much closer to landing Hopkins than we were Nesbitt. 0440 and whitesoxfan are right tho, we had 1 MORE BARRIER to overcome... and ultimately the AAU pull won out! We will be back tho and we will win our fair share!

Again, it just makes the success of this season that much more critical. You cannot tap into these type of programs and pipelines, without winning first. The Top Dawg is always going to win out when comes to these type of Elite programs who are connected to this Elite players.

However, if we land Mac and Cardet... we will be fine. This recruiting season is not over and there is plenty of time for a top player or two to appear back on the market and make their way to SFC.

We took it on the Chin this weekend, but I know we will be right back in the fight next year winning our fair share of top level talent after a memorable trip to the Final Four.

Btw, I knew it was all bad as soon as they moved the announcement from Saturday to Monday, last minute! Made me feel like I shoulda kept my information to myself! 🙆🏽‍♂️

But just like how I know this staff is feeling right now... I will be better in the future. You guys deserve better! These last two recruitments have been gut-wrenching 🤮🤧

Last edited:
#1,252      
As the name says, I’ve been watching this board for a long time. The “insiders” that some people want to pile on after days like this , are the reasons most of us keep coming back. Anyone who feels wronged or misled should put themselves in the shoes of the folks who were sharing information that the rest hadn’t been privy to. Personally I’m ready for the next countdown to commitment!

#1,253      
As the name says, I’ve been watching this board for a long time. The “insiders” that some people want to pile on after days like this , are the reasons most of us keep coming back. Anyone who feels wronged or misled should put themselves in the shoes of the folks who were sharing information that the rest hadn’t been privy to. Personally I’m ready for the next countdown to commitment!

Agreed. Honestly, this recruitment is what got me to stop lurking and engage in dialogue. Excited for the future!

#1,254      
I apologize to the board...I won't say anything bad towards Bryce, the family, and definitely not any connection.
The family did do its best to try and convince certain attachments to the program that he was a good lean to O&B when I posted.
Unfortunately, this didn't come to fruition.
Still, this program is doing well!
Good luck to the Hopkins family at UK.
If a Top 40 recruit falls to Kentucky, does it make a sound?

#1,255      
When someone speaks with complete authority and certainty, then it seems reasonable that the message is reliable and repeatable. Recently, the reliability has been less than stellar, which taints that person's credibility and mine, as well. Simply put, I gave too much credibility to unreliable sources, and in the end, I was perceived as being just as uninformed as them. As one guy that I know and relate information to so eloquently put it, "Who are your sources, because they are not very reliable?" That comment pertained to both Nesbitt and Hopkins, although if memory serves me correctly, and it might not, there have been more misses than just those. I'm not angry, just a little wiser, and much more careful to repeat any recruiting projections that I read on this site.

You're obviously new around here. Some very well respected, long time posters who have consistently had good information were wrong. It happens. If they trust their source, and their source is relaying information that they're getting from a recruit's camp - that's reliable. What's not reliable is the recruit's camp giving BS information for whatever reason. There's your unreliability. Just remember when you're referencing this message board that you're quoting stuff that ultimately comes from a random anonymous person on the internet. If you routinely take as fact what random people on the internet claim, then you're beyond hope.

#1,256      
Some thought Illinois cause Illinois was the choice for a little bit....Kentucky hadn’t been in contact with Bryce or family for a little bit but when you’re Cal you can come back in a recruitment whenever you please....if you feel like I wronged you then that’s on you...I told you guys UK was the pick when the momentum flipped back to UK.

#1,257      

sacraig

The desert
When someone speaks with complete authority and certainty, then it seems reasonable that the message is reliable and repeatable. Recently, the reliability has been less than stellar, which taints that person's credibility and mine, as well. Simply put, I gave too much credibility to unreliable sources, and in the end, I was perceived as being just as uninformed as them. As one guy that I know and relate information to so eloquently put it, "Who are your sources, because they are not very reliable?" That comment pertained to both Nesbitt and Hopkins, although if memory serves me correctly, and it might not, there have been more misses than just those. I'm not angry, just a little wiser, and much more careful to repeat any recruiting projections that I read on this site.

ZlpWcEM.gif

#1,258      
Some thought Illinois cause Illinois was the choice for a little bit....Kentucky hadn’t been in contact with Bryce or family for a little bit but when you’re Cal you can come back in a recruitment whenever you please....if you feel like I wronged you then that’s on you...I told you guys UK was the pick when the momentum flipped back to UK.

Hopefully people don’t feel like you wronged them.

If they do, that says more about them than anything.

#1,260      
Amen Every recruit is a battle, every recruiting season a war.

#1,261      

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Let's be real, we are pointing in the right direction. But when a Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, or North Carolina wants a kid, chances are they are gonna get them. No shame in losing out to them. Most of us are old enough to have seen "the glory days". Most of these kids were toddlers at best during our heyday. Illinois basketball is just now starting to become relevant again. Underwood and his staff have missed on guys for sure, but we've seen them bounce back and be creative. It sure beats the deer in the headlights reaction we used to get when Groce would miss on a recruit.

#1,262      
For me it’s less about Bryce Hopkins and more about really really wanting to win a couple recruiting battles over Kentucky

#1,263      
I FEEL SO WRONGED BY ALL OF THESE INSIDERS WITH THEIR INSIDE INFO BEING WRONG BECAUSE THE WHIMS OF TEENAGERS AND THEIR FAMILIES! USELESS INSIDERS NO GOOD FOR NOTHIN'!!1!

/S

But really, thank you for making this board entertaining and sharing what you hear. It is always appreciated.

#1,265      

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
I FEEL SO WRONGED BY ALL OF THESE INSIDERS WITH THEIR INSIDE INFO BEING WRONG BECAUSE THE WHIMS OF TEENAGERS AND THEIR FAMILIES! USELESS INSIDERS NO GOOD FOR NOTHIN'!!1!

/S

But really, thank you for making this board entertaining and sharing what you hear. It is always appreciated.
Double your money back if dissatisfied for any reason, no questions asked.

#1,266      
Wait, you guys don't take things strangers post on internet message boards as gospel? My faith in humanity is truly shaken!

#1,267      
I honestly feel that Hopkins was never going to be a solid commit to anyone but Kentucky. when you are hearing three to four schools a week before the decision that's not good. I feel like even if we were his choice he would still be looking for something better. Just my gut on the situation. QC 0440 Whitesox tornado Indy I respect your games and appreciate the info.

#1,268      

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Perhaps with the next one we go after, we should just recruit the AAU handlers. At some point in time, these guys are going to start facing some serious allegations, and find themselves being watched by the FBI. I have zero doubt that some of them are still filtering money and "other stuff" to these recruits.

I question when someone says "I really wanted the opinion of my AAU coaches You have parents that have driven you back and forth for years, worked overtime and extra jobs to pick up the expenses, and brought you into the world, but don't have a family conversation to decide the future. Instead, going to let the AAU programs be your handler, they only have one thing in mind 💰 💰💰.

You go on the road with those coaches and teammates and form close, personal relationships. You have guys you love like brothers who aren't getting looks that you/the coaches think they should. You can help your friends out by bringing more eyes to the team and maybe getting them more or better scholarship offers, and you can do it by committing to one of the consistent national powerhouses in college basketball. Added bonus: it's a school you'd really love to suit up for. What would you do?

I'm not saying that's exactly how it played out here, but there are reasons other than bags of money that a kid would choose UK over Illinois. We just don't see it that way because we're so attached to our program.

#1,269      
Perhaps with the next one we go after, we should just recruit the AAU handlers. At some point in time, these guys are going to start facing some serious allegations, and find themselves being watched by the FBI. I have zero doubt that some of them are still filtering money and "other stuff" to these recruits.

I question when someone says "I really wanted the opinion of my AAU coaches You have parents that have driven you back and forth for years, worked overtime and extra jobs to pick up the expenses, and brought you into the world, but don't have a family conversation to decide the future. Instead, going to let the AAU programs be your handler, they only have one thing in mind 💰 💰💰.

Are they? Still waiting on anything to happen to Sean Miller, Will Wade, Bill Self, etc... The only over-sight is the illusion of over-sight. The NCAA obviously doesn't care, and I gotta believe this is pretty low on the FBI to do list.

#1,271      
Wonder what the free transfer rule will do for schools like Kentucky and Duke. Will it help them as recruits will figure they can transfer out if they don’t get time or hurt them with losing them after 1 season. Of course if they are not getting playing time it won’t hurt the school and they can probably bring proven players in from other schools. In total, probably another advantage.

#1,274      
No offense to some of the other posters, but this can’t be the Groce era all over again because we landed Ayo and Kofi! 💯💯

And we HAVEN’T hit our ceiling yet!! It just makes this year all that more important...

How many times have we landed a recruit from Mokan in the past?

He was the headliner for this class no doubt, and we want to keep stacking those each year, so yes this one hurts, bad. But if it’s worth any merits, we were much much closer to landing Hopkins than we were Nesbitt. 0440 and whitesoxfan are right tho, we had 1 MORE BARRIER to overcome... and ultimately the AAU pull won out! We will be back tho and we will win our fair share!

Again, it just makes the success of this season that much more critical. You cannot tap into these type of programs and pipelines, without winning first. The Top Dawg is always going to win out when comes to these type of Elite programs who are connected to this Elite players.

However, if we land Mac and Cardet... we will be fine. This recruiting season is not over and there is plenty of time for a top player or two to appear back on the market and make their way to SFC.

We took it on the Chin this weekend, but I know we will be right back in the fight next year winning our fair share of top level talent after a memorable trip to the Final Four.

Btw, I knew it was all bad as soon as they moved the announcement from Saturday to Monday, last minute! Made me feel like I shoulda kept my information to myself! 🙆🏽‍♂️

But just like how I know this staff is feeling right now... I will be better in the future. You guys deserve better! These last two recruitments have been gut-wrenching 🤮🤧
Keep the info coming, QC. We're all big boys and girls here and realize that we're dealing with teenagers who can turn on a dime and are easily lead, often in ways that aren't in their best interests. On to the next one....

#1,275      

Give me all the info you have, 0440 and that goes for everyone else. That makes it fun and anyone should know that teenagers change with the wind. Win some, lose some. Nothing against Mr. Hopkins, I wish him well, but I predict he eventually transfers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.